What is your favorite mobile weather application?

i may be wrong, but i think no matter what app you use, you're using NOAA and the shared regional radar arrays. so on one side of the coin, it's all the same thing and really only differs in how they present the data and how often they update the model outputs in the app. maybe some apps only use the EURO model, maybe some only use the GFS, maybe some use the average of the two. but even then, it seems sometimes the EURO nails it and the GFS fails it and vice versa. but basically everything is coming from NOAA originally.

i guess it seems to me, the best apps are the ones that best present the probabilities. i like wundergrounds UI and graphical representation of the 10 day for that and it's what i use.

1709069869546.png

it's the weather bloggers and forecasters that actually should be held to the accuracy statement. the ones with intimate knowledges of each models strengths and weaknesses and when they often shine and when they often don't and how to reconcile when they're giving conflicting forecasts and what it means for uncertainty. the ones that recognize the near impossibility of foreasting, especially the mountain region, and can distill all that information down to paint a complete picture of probabilities in how things might play out.

Last edited:
@TOGIE is correct, it's all pretty much interpretations of the NOAA metadata, because of that I'm a fan of Meteoblue, you can look at the multimodel and see how close the various models are, if it's a wide spread between models then be prepared for the forecast to be off, if they all agree you can assume the forecast will be close to correct...

Edit to add @FREAK beat me to it...

@TOGIE is correct, it's all pretty much interpretations of the NOAA metadata, because of that I'm a fan of Meteoblue, you can look at the multimodel and see how close the various models are, if it's a wide spread between models then be prepared for the forecast to be off, if they all agree you can assume the forecast will be close to correct...

Edit to add @FREAK beat me to it...
I think the kicker is this little tidbit from the link I shared.
1709070619164.png
AI for the win...?

Here is a different take… I use AWN quite a lot. I have station at my home and our farms in KY and IL. I love the fact that it gives on sight readings. And I will tap into other locations as well.
For everywhere else I use Clime pro but the free version is good also.

I think the kicker is this little tidbit from the link I shared.
View attachment 317212
AI for the win...?
I think in general AI is going to turn out to be way better at weather than humans, in places where it gets real time feedback on actual conditions vs models it's probably already way better...

where I'm less sure it will be better anytime soon is mountain environments where it doesn't ever get feedback of real conditions vs models, right now you see this trying to use NOAA, or whatever app you want in the Alaska range or the Chalten massif, the formulas that work most places spit out some incredibly inaccurate results there... fortunately, there's meteorologist who have a niche forecasting those places, for a couple hundred $ you can forgo trying to interpret the meteograms on your own...

Back