MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Weather Radar for Mobile?

crock239

Looking for a good, accurate, and fast weather radar for general mobile use, with good "radar in motion" function. I'm not talking backcountry or hunting specific.

I'm talking you're at home or traveling with good connectivity and want to track incoming thunderstorms or check general radar for planning your family fishing outing, biking, walking to the brewery, etc.
For a long time, I used basic weather.com radar on Chrome for tracking storms when at home, traveling etc. And it was good. Now their mobile interface is terrible, and the screen space showing radar in motion is so small it's basically not functional.

Have switched to AccuWeather's site and it's a bit better but still lacking.

Anyone have thoughts on a mobile site or app with fast and accurate radar in motion?

NOAA, I don't use apps.
I don't use a cell phone except as a phone. It does not work where I am and my PC does.

Same here. No way I'm using an APP that just duplicates what's available on a browser but also sells my info. Not that the browser isn't doing that, but no need to have two of everything. :)

I just checked NOAA, and here's an example of my (nitpicky?) frustration.

On the mobile site, the legend and timestamps during radar in motion are covered and not visible by default...maybe it's only on Android or my own technological incompetence. It's just clunky.

Screenshot_20220808-120042_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Will check out MyRadar...

Thanks.

I have been impressed with MyRadar. Used in in TX one year, and it seems to be one of the most accurate radar specific apps, and sends notifications when weather, lightning, etc is near.

I like sticking my head out the door to see for sure. Yep, that's rain.
This will be another good day to stay indoors away from the lightning.
Just confirmed it on NOAA...LOL

I also still use my GPS.

RadarScope, either: Pro Tier 1 (9.99/annual), or: Pro Tier Two (14.99/mo or 99.99/annual). Excellent. There are some older YouTube reviews and you can find it in your mobile phone App Store.

Forbes (2019) review:

Radar: Radarscope

Radar is a tough nut to crack on your mobile device. Services have to straddle the line between “too much data for the average user” and “so little data that it’s not helpful.” Most radar data is okay at a glance if you want to know if it’s going to rain or if you really did just hear thunder in the distance.

Radarscope is by far the best radar app out there. Not only does the app give you high-resolution radar imagery for every radar site in the United States (and some in Canada!), but the app also gives you access to the full suite of radar products—precipitation, wind, and “dual-pol” data that lets you differentiate between different types of precipitation.

Unfortunately, Radarscope isn’t free—it costs $9.99—but it’s worth it if you’re serious about wanting to stay ahead of storms heading your way.

Last edited:
Storm Radar has been good to me. I’ve been using I long enough that I really like the features it provides.

RadarScope, either: Pro Tier 1 (9.99/annual), or: Pro Tier Two (14.99/mo or 99.99/annual). Excellent. There are some older YouTube reviews and you can find it in your mobile phone App Store.

Forbes (2019) review:

Radar: Radarscope

Radar is a tough nut to crack on your mobile device. Services have to straddle the line between “too much data for the average user” and “so little data that it’s not helpful.” Most radar data is okay at a glance if you want to know if it’s going to rain or if you really did just hear thunder in the distance.

Radarscope is by far the best radar app out there. Not only does the app give you high-resolution radar imagery for every radar site in the United States (and some in Canada!), but the app also gives you access to the full suite of radar products—precipitation, wind, and “dual-pol” data that lets you differentiate between different types of precipitation.

Unfortunately, Radarscope isn’t free—it costs $9.99—but it’s worth it if you’re serious about wanting to stay ahead of storms heading your way.

It is what the storm chasers use!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back