PEAX Equipment

Jerkey Recipe's

jvanderlinde

Hey Hunt Talkers

I got my very own food dehydrator. I picked up some HI Mountain seasoning mix to try out. I'm just trying to get some good recipe's and dos and don'ts if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks

I made pronghorn jerky in my oven. It was spicy, Asian flavored:
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- 5 spice powder (Asian food store or amazon)
- Honey
- Chili paste
Mix all ingredients to taste. Marinate in fridge overnight. It was my first attempt and it turned out to be delicious :)

I like to make my own spice mix. The way things go, when I find a commercial product I like, they stop making it. :rolleyes:

Here's mine. I prefer a spicy jerky.

3 Tbsp Morton Tenderquick curing salt
1 Tbsp smoked salt
5 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp cayenne powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp sugar

I put all this in a big spice shaker and mix it up, then sprinkle it on the meat strips. Usually I leave it sitting under plastic wrap in the fridge for a day or so before putting it in the dehydrator or smoker.

Thanks to Hunt Talk - I found this spice mix;
http://www.eldonsausage.com/Legg-s-Peppered-Jerky-Seasoning-p/ac-936.htm
when looking for Chorizo recipes (their Chorizo mix is great)

Here's what I have been doing with great results;
1. Mix up the above Peppered mix per instructions with Elk or Deer burger, I also added a little Chipotle Chile Powder to spice it up a little.
2. Squirt out strips using Jerky Cannon.
3. Last batch I gave it an hour of Hickory Smoke in the Bradley at low temp - like 180° I believe. Was good without the smoke, but the smoke flavor made it much better.
4. Then on to 4 hours in the Dehydrator on high for a 7 tray load - 160° setting I think. You want a temp controlled Dehydrator. This one is working good for me:
http://tinyurl.com/lnolpdl
5. Spread pieces out on cookie sheets and finish in oven @ 275° for 10 mins.
6. Lay out on paper towels and dab top side with paper towels to absorbs excess grease.
7. Vacuum pack after cooling.

Might want to read this;
http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Making_Safe%20Jerky_in_a%20Home_Dehydrator3.pdf

The Jerky Shooters are kinda fun if you use ground meat. If you are planing on slicing meat...

Thaw the meat until just starting to get soft, but still a bit frozen in the middle, slice THIN!, it may help to sharpen the knife just before... I slice my jerky against the grain, some people prefer to slice it with the grain of the meat, this will give long strands to the Jerky once dry. If you slice against the grain, it will be easier to break pieces off.

If you use the highcountry marinade, great; if you make your own equally great. Soak the strips of meat at least overnight in the marinade. I usually let it sit a day or so. With a dehydrator I will usually set it for 140Degrees (max on mine) Jerkey will usually take 20-30 hrs depending on how thick the strips are.

I keep mine in the freezer after finished until needed... mostly to prevent premature snacking...

High Mountain jerky seasonings on whole muscle meat. Buy yourself a sample pack that lets you prepare 4 pounds of 5 flavors to let you figure out what flavors you like best. Follow the directions and DON'T overcook the meat. Also, this is not your normal jerky recipe so cut the chunks of meat thick. I like 3/4-1" thickness by 4-5" long. Cook hanging from an oven rack on toothpicks until the muscle fibers pull apart with a little force and the juices stop dripping from the hunks of meat onto your drip tray. I do an hour on 275 with the oven door closed and then prop the door open about 1-2" on 240 for however much longer it takes - usually about 90-110 minutes. When that happens, remove from oven and seal in Ziplocs and refrigerate. This method yields the "filet mignon" of jerky.

Oh, and the High Mountain jerky seasonings that I prefer are NOT a marinade. It's a dry cure that you mix with dry seasoning and let sit in the refrigerator for 2-3 days for a proper cure.

I've tried a few of the Hi Mountain seasonings and the Garlic Pepper is my favorite.

Nothing better than grinding the 2 year old round steaks and making jerky out of them to make room for the next year's meat in the Freezer.

I use a recipe that I got out of a wild game cookbook I got with a North American Hunting Club membership I had several years ago. Everybody that has ever tried it loves it. Including my wife and three kids. It goes like this:

(I usually at least double this recipe)

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Several dashes hot sauce (Tobasco) (I hate Tobasco so I omit it)

I like to sprinkle extra black pepper on after laying the jerky on the dehydrator racks. Gives a little extra flavor and a kick. Usually take 3-4 hours to dehydrate. You can also use your oven by turning it on its lowest setting and leaving the door cracked open.

Don't overdry it or you wind up with meat-crackers. I wasted a lot like that last time when I used the oven method. I was going to try to use it as bullion but my wife threw it out.

I use teriyaki, onion powder, garlic salt, black pepper. I dont measure just put it on a cookie sheet and just cover them with the seasoning. My buddy dose this with duck and geese its the best.

I have tried lots of mixes and recipes. I like the Cabelas peppered mix better than anything that I have tried. The spices are better than the High Mountain I think. It is all that we use now.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back