Colorado unit 33 2nd season

JesseSr

Hey all,

My son and I drew Colorado 2nd season deer tags for Unit 33. I'm reading a lot of hate for the unit online and wondering if anyone here has some experience they are willing to share regarding this unit?

Thanks,
Jesse

Maybe I'm missing something here but if you read "a lot of hate" and are asking for information on the unit AFTER you drew the tag, why in the heck did you apply for that unit?

My plan is to go hunt places that I've never hunted before. I read the draw odds and knew that I could draw this tag. I have some friends that hunt near here (season 4) and killed some nice bucks, so because I can draw this tag - and it's near the area that I want to hunt eventually, I can use this trip as a combo hunt/scout trip for future hunts.

the reason you drew a 33 2nd rifle tag is that it is not exactly a desirable unit for 2nd season. It’s not impossible or anything, but it will require a bit more work to find what you are looking for. There are some units in CO that are just cash cows for the state, that don’t really offer much opportunity. 33 is one of those cash cows.

I assume it is pretty similar to most 2nd season hunts that don't take any points to draw in CO. You'll see deer, some will be bucks, perhaps some good bucks and there is the possibility of seeing a really really nice one. If your goal is to shoot any buck I would think your odds would be good. If your goal is to shoot a booner, your odds are slim. Overall, I think that unit has gone downhill as of late. Lots of recreation and development that is eating into habitat. CPW has lowered population objectives because the habitat just isn't what it used to be, like much of the state.

I hunted that unit 2 years ago 3rd season. expect to see a lot of orange. a lot of roads in the unit, was tough to get away from folks

There is phenomenal trophy potential in unit 33. Colorado Parks and Wildlife game managers report that the number of deer has exploded above population objective. That being said the tags are limited and harvest success is good for those who draw. Anything around the magical 20% mark is considered fantastic by CPW and this unit qualifies! This unit has some high elevation peaks and parks and lower elevation grasses. Hunters may consider glassing Corn Pop Mesa, Croptop Mesa, Lunker Ridge and Big Smoker Mountain for Pope and Young bucks. Snow can drastically affect where the animals are so be prepared to adjust your plans accordingly.

This unit has a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rifle season that allows hunters to have plenty of quality time in the mountains. The deer will be at high elevation cover or protected private lands for as long as possible until pressure and weather push them lower. Often by the 3rd rifle season, the rut has begun and bucks will be in search of does near the roads where Side by Sides and Chevy Trucks often collide with them. Find the does and eventually a good buck will check in on them. During any of these seasons, snow can drastically affect the access and hunters should always have backup plans, window mounts for their rifles, and chains for when they get stuck. During rifle seasons some notable areas to keep an eye on, especially after some weather are, Mulvaney Creek, Tranny Wallow, Target Creek and West Tuckin Back Creek.

There is phenomenal trophy potential in unit 33. Colorado Parks and Wildlife game managers report that the number of deer has exploded above population objective. That being said the tags are limited and harvest success is good for those who draw. Anything around the magical 20% mark is considered fantastic by CPW and this unit qualifies! This unit has some high elevation peaks and parks and lower elevation grasses. Hunters may consider glassing Corn Pop Mesa, Croptop Mesa, Lunker Ridge and Big Smoker Mountain for Pope and Young bucks. Snow can drastically affect where the animals are so be prepared to adjust your plans accordingly.

This unit has a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rifle season that allows hunters to have plenty of quality time in the mountains. The deer will be at high elevation cover or protected private lands for as long as possible until pressure and weather push them lower. Often by the 3rd rifle season, the rut has begun and bucks will be in search of does near the roads where Side by Sides and Chevy Trucks often collide with them. Find the does and eventually a good buck will check in on them. During any of these seasons, snow can drastically affect the access and hunters should always have backup plans, window mounts for their rifles, and chains for when they get stuck. During rifle seasons some notable areas to keep an eye on, especially after some weather are, Mulvaney Creek, Tranny Wallow, Target Creek and West Tuckin Back Creek.

This is the unit description from gohunt lol.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back