Caribou Gear

Javelina, full body or shoulder?

1_pointer

I shot a javelina last year and am ready to take it to the taxidermist. Just having a bit of a tough time deciding if I want to get a full body done or a shoulder mount. I did skin it dorsally for a full body as that was my intention originally. My "cheap gene" may just be firing as the cost is about 2X for the full body.

What your thoughts preference? Any pics of yours hanging?

Something like this is what I was thinking of if I go full body:
attachment.php

This is the type of shoulder mount I'm considering:
th

I definitely prefer the full body myself. Of course, it comes at an added cost and you need the space to display it. Good luck!

I did a full body mount while my buddy did a rug. I think the rugs are really nice and cost way less.

Well that helps settle it! I guess NHY will have to be the resident cheapskate for a while... ;) :D

Next, how handy does one have to be to build the habitat for one? I'm thinking of trying to do that part myself, not a whole lot unlike what's in the picture above.

I cleaned a javelina skull for a guy and it turned out pretty cool. Not sure if you saved the skull, and not sure of a good way to present it with the mount but the euro looked pretty cool I thought.

Thought I had a picture of it but can't find it right now.

I cleaned a javelina skull for a guy and it turned out pretty cool. Not sure if you saved the skull, and not sure of a good way to present it with the mount but the euro looked pretty cool I thought.

Thought I had a picture of it but can't find it right now.

Euro is even better....

Next, how handy does one have to be to build the habitat for one? I'm thinking of trying to do that part myself, not a whole lot unlike what's in the picture above.

I'm not a big fan of most habitat mounts...IMHO most of them make fake look faker. I'm not a fan of fake trees, fake shrubs, fake rocks, etc. The good news is your habitat is desert, which is easy to make look realistic. I have a mount at home that is dried grasses and sage stuck into a foam pad that has a red sand mix glued to the foam pad inside a handmade barnwood box. It is heavy :( Definitely try it yourself before you have someone else do it.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back