PEAX Equipment

It’s a 5-point Mule Deer, change my mind

What is a mule deer with 5 points on each side called? (A beam plus G1-G4)

• 5 point

• Big ol cranker 10-pointer

• 4 point

• 4 point with browtines

• 4 point with eye-guards

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ought Six

Is calling a mule deer buck that has a main beam plus its G1-G4 a “4-point with browtines”, or especially just calling it a straight “4-point,” not one of the dumbest things you’ve ever heard? Please change my mind.

When I get my call from MT, they ask me how many points not counting eye guards. Just figured that's the way they count them out West.

When I get my call from MT, they ask me how many points not counting eye guards. Just figured that's the way they count them out West.
I think there’s a whole thread regarding the intelligence of Montana’s game agency, I wouldn’t take anything they tell you as gospel

I've always figured this would be the most sensible way to settle the argument. Where did the argument about eyeguards even came from in the first place? Anyone know? I'm genuinely curious.
I’m curious about that too. Why wouldn’t you count them when describing a deer? The difference between a deer with or without eyeguards can be the difference between B&C and not B&C for a majority of typical mule deer. Maybe @Hopzone Freak knows?

Growing up in Anacompton we didn’t see any of these often. However, in spite of our subpar educational system we would say both and in the following order. He’s a 5 by 5, or a 4 by 4 with eye guards.

Oh, and we really got jealous when someone killed a 6 by 6 bull, or a 5 by 5 with brow tines bull! It’d really get confusing with moose…

Oh, and bear too… Does that bear square 6.5 feet or is that a 6 foot bear with paws n’ claws was a common argument.

Growing up in Anacompton we didn’t see any of these often. However, in spite of our subpar educational system we would say both and in the following order. He’s a 5 by 5, or a 4 by 4 with eye guards.

Oh, and we really got jealous when someone killed a 6 by 6 bull, or a 5 by 5 with brow tines bull! It’d really get confusing with moose…

Oh, and bear too… Does that bear square 6.5 feet or is that a 6 foot bear with paws n’ claws was a common argument.
Yeah I grew up with either 5-point or 5 by 5 as well, any oddities resorted to the by system with 5 by 7 or 3 by 6 etc

What about mountain whitetails HeartbeatofAmericaFreak?

Or even more confusing what if it is one of them thar cross breadin’ hybrids?

Mule deer and blacktails get called by what their main frame is. Eye guards are a bonus and counted as such.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back