Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ithaca's answer

Ithaca 37

In the "Ithaca proposes extending" topic I was very unfairly attacked by Mule and MD4M. They had no idea what they were talking about when they criticized me for speaking at a recent F&G Commission meeting.

Here's my answer to them:

Here's Mules question. "Have quail populations in Idaho been on the decline in recent years due to ATV's,ranching or the timber industry?"

Here's my answer, "Hell yes! Riparian zones have been ruined by cattle (90% of all BLM riparian zones are in poor condition). That's where the quail live. If we had good riparian zones we'd have fantastic quail hunting on BLM---ten times better than now, at least. Probably fifty times better.

Grazing has also destroyed the migration corridors for Mountain Quail. That's why we don't have enough to hunt anymore. They're a candidate for the ESA."

Notice I made it clear I was talking about BLM. Mule criticized me for proposing a two week extension of the quail season. Here's my answer:

We haven't had season on Mountain Quail in about 25 years. We do have a season on California Quail. Where they have good habitat they're thriving.

Here's a table showing the quail harvest in Idaho:
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/hunt/programsinfo/genharv/ugharv.htm

Notice the wide yearly fluctuations? WEATHER! Notice the trend since '91?

Now, here's what's going on: Less quail on overgrazed BLM. Especially where the riparian zones have been destroyed. I would have a very hard time finding quail on BLM if I went looking for them. When I find them on BLM it's a pleasant surprise. They just don't like to live where the riparian zones have been trashed by cattle---which the BLM says is 90% of them.

Private land, which is usually not grazed as hard or as destructively---The quail are thriving. If BLM was in good shape we'd be getting over a million quail a year. Easy! We'd have hunters coming from all over the country!

So---Where the ATVs and welfare ranching are destroying habitat and disturbing quail it's been a disaster for quail populations. Comprehend?

Now, look at the harvest. Understand why I'd be recommending extending the season by two weeks!

Average life of a quail is 14 months. Most of them die of natural causes.

Of course I could sit on my ass and do nothing, like so many others here. But I saw an opportunity to try to increase total hunter days afield.

How's that for an agenda ( for all of you that are always telling us what my agenda is)? Why didn't anyone else notice what I did and start lobbying for more hunter days?

Thanks in advance for your appreciation! Frankly, sometimes I wonder why I bother. So many hunters are just like some of the do nothings on this board. It's not like I need more days to hunt. If the F&G doesn't lengthen the season I'll just keep on hunting for quail in Oregon after the Idaho season closes. As I do now.

But is it better for hunting, in general, if we have more hunting opportunities?

Why don't a few of you tell me about my agenda again?
--------------------

"Any hunter or angler who is not an environmentalist...is a damned fool." Conservation writer Ted Williams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another part of my answer when I was criticized by MD4M for other comments I made to the F&G Commission proposing eliminating the Clearwater Deer permit:

Please remember that I didn't start this topic. It was started in an effort to criticize me. Since I explained the quail situation I'll also explain why I proposed eliminating the Clearwater Permit. It restricts hunter days ("hunter days" is a term used by F&G to measure hunter opportunity) by requiring people who want to hunt deer in the Clearwater units to hunt only there---nowhere else. We used to be able to hunt deer anywhere in Idaho and could freely move from any unit to any other. Locals in the Clearwater Region didn't like the idea of hunters from other parts of the state participating in the late whitetail hunts there, so they pressured their F&G Commissioner to place restrictions on who could hunt there. He got enough Commissioners to vote for the idea and it was instituted. I fought against it and organized others to. So did a few other guys---mostly in the Deer Hunters of Idaho organization.

I always hunt in the Clearwater Region. Eliminating the permit there will only increase the hunters and might possibly affect my hunting. But it's the RIGHT thing to do and can only help create more hunting opportunities for other hunters.

That's why I spoke in favor of eliminating the Clearwater permit.

Now, what's to criticize about that? I suppose MD4M and a few others will try to say it's part of some secret agenda of mine for something!! A "Secret Agenda" to increase hunting opportunities for other hunters when there's really nothing in it for me?!!!

That's the kind of crap Mule and MD4M are trying to feed all of you!!!

Mule and MD4M, Thanks in advance for your apologies!
--------------------

This was all copied from the "Ithaca Proposes..." topic.

Here's what the F&G Secretary had put in the public meeting notes about my comments (which is what Mule & MD4M were criticizing):

(Ithaca 37)...extension of quail season supported. Turkey regulations for Fall hunts and tag prices. Supports lower fees that are proposed. Clearwater deer tag is a social device that should be eliminated because we have too many whitetails in the region. ATV abuse is getting worse and their use by hunters should be restricted."

Extend quail season, lower tag prices, eliminate restriction on where hunters can go to hunt, protect us from ATV abuse!!!

Does that sound like an anti hunting agenda that MD4M, Paul and a few others are always accusing me of!!! Remember, these were comments at a public meeting with Idaho F&G commissioners soliciting opinions on policy!!!

I'd say MD4M, Mule, Paul, Lost, Ten, and mike don't know what they're talking about!!!!

Did any of them ever speak to a F&G Commission in favor of increasing hunter opportunities? Or even anything at all!!!
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-14-2003 23:25: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

http://www.compassionatespirit.com/

LOL ,good one Ithaca.
I have to refer to your link you gave us and let everyone decide for thereself what you support and what your end motive's are.
While you are on the subject of trying to make yourself look better,you might also want to explain to everyone your nasty habit of calling other poster's name's (amatures ,stupid,fat, lazy ,slob's ,do-nothing's?)
You could take it farther and tell us how you know this about everyone?
Please explane if you would Ithaca,if you are all that and more (as you have told us you are)why is it those of us that live in the same area as you dont see or hear your name all over the place?
To hear you tell it your name should be on the lips of all of the treasure valley.
We have worked on some of the same stuff over the years in the Boise area ,and yet you still call name's and try to make it look like no one has done anything except you.
Not everyone has the burning need to be patted on the back for helping on issues that effect us nor do we have the need to MAKE other bent to and think just like us.

I find it hard to understand how someone like yourself that portrays thereself to be so much on the leading edge isnt spoken of at the different meeting's or club function's.
Most of the (outspoken get things done )people in this area are well known in the hunting circle's and are asked to speak at many function's.
But they dont have the need to force it on people .
Im not so sure that you are any different then many of us that comment,write letter's,email ,help with club function's,donate money,read up on issues,Blah Blah Blah.

Could it be the difference is in the ammount of praise we each think we should be getting for doing what we love?
Or is it that the rest of us havent felt the need to call other's do-nothings because we havent been able to make them see everything as we think it should be seen?
Or that many of us have a number of interest that keep us busy so we can't focus on how good we are and all the good we are doing in the world?
You have been so stuck on making yourself feel good that you havent even seen that most of us are working toward many of the same goal's,but we see it at a different angle.
Not better not worse,only different.
By seeing others as viable and letting them be heard we will get to where we need to go.
Not by forcing the point of how much better or smarter,or experanced you are then everyone else.
You can explain your accomplishments all day long ,but can you explain why you see the need to put everyone down that wont bent to your thoughts and agree to follow you?
Im not sure there is a segment of the population that you havent called name's.
I missed the part when I signed in at hunttalk that we all had to be in the same shape,or make a weight,or hunt the same,or think the same or pass a spelling test.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ithaca,

After reading your post, a lot of things do not add up. I think you are a fraud, and are only here to push your green agendas. When is the last time you hunted for antelope in Wyoming? Maybe you do hunt? I don't know or care. Arrogant assholes like you are going to end hunting period.

If you think by being a jackass you are going to bring support to your causes, you are mistaken. You only push people away.

Paul

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-15-2003 11:21: Message edited by: Paul C ]</font>

Paul I don't see how "arrogant assholes" are much of a threat to hunting. What IS a threat to hunting is overgrazing and ATV use, which are a couple of things Ithaca is against. How some of you on here can be so anti-Ithaca I don't understand. He obviously knows more about issues concerning wildlife and hunting than most hunters. Most hunters really don't have an appreciation and respect the environment/wildlife habitat, all they care about is what and how much they can kill this year. What we need is more guys that care about wildlife and the environment like Ithaca does, and I'm getting tired of everyone bashing him. Paul tell me what is it that you have against maintaining good quality wildlife habitat (especially on public lands.)

Paul, The reason you can't add things up is you made some very wrong assumptions. Maybe your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

What's my antelope hunting history in WY got to do with anything?

I really don't care about any support from some people. It doesn't amount to anything.

Here's what you said in the Elk section wolf topic on 2/13: "Wolves should be transfered from endangered to threatened status in the next few weeks."

We'll find out in less than a month if you know anything. I'm betting you're wrong.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-15-2003 14:59: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Seems to me that Paul comprehends things just fine.

He appears to have you figured out.

Ithaca,
With all due respect and honesty..

Here is an example of why I take issue with you, hell I haven't even posted on this subject..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd say MD4M, Mule, Paul, Lost, Ten, and mike don't know what they're talking about!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has nothing to do with how much you know or don't know, It has nothing to do with how much I know or don't know.

It has alot to do with your abrassive manner, and the superiority complex that you have.
Others might be just as smart or even smarter than you, and that bugs the hell out of you!!

Thare are alot of things I do that I could brag about, I just don't feel the need to do so.

If you would start being less abrassive and less self promoting, I guarantee you I would have no quarrel with you, and would probably agree with you about alot of issues.

mike, I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I know you haven't posted in this topic, but you've attacked me in many others.

Want me to go find the topic where you gave us a bunch of your accomplishments when your credibility was questioned?

I remember you asking about a truce recently.
Well that was my olive branch.
If you really wanted a truce you could have easily made a decent post.

Washington Hunter,there is nothing wrong with people being pro-environment or supporting regulations that restrict ATVs or access.
That isnt the point,we all have said we know that some segments of the ATV Riders/or hunters have done damage,we have said that some ranchers have overgrazed land.
So whats the problem?
Its Ithaca's bashing of anyone that owns an ATV and his Hate filled agenda to end all public land grazing,he has come right out and said how he supports Jon Marvel & has said some mighty nasty stuff about almost everyone that wont follow him,he can not take it at all if he is questioned,yet he expects everyone to answer him on the spot.
He deletes whole topics when the going gets to tough for him and then blames everyone but will not take any on himself.
Everything is always someone else's fault,they are after him ,they are stalking him, he is calling people names and telling them they dont know chit ,when in fact some of us were at the same time working on the same issues as Ithaca.
I live in the same area,I know the some of the same people,we hunt in some of the same area's.
The only thing some of us did was try to post the other side to some of the issues and point out that not everyone in this area (Boise)feels like Ithaca does.
If you have the same feeling he does great,more power to ya,but on the other hand I and many like me see it a bit different and are not afread to post it and have a different take then the almighty Ithaca.
I would say he needs to get over it or
start his own site so he can dictate how everyone should think,what grade level they should spell at ,what party they support,if they own any ATV's,or how brown they are willing to get there nose.

Ithaca has tryed to make people,believe
that said if we dont support the groups he does or think in the same way we he does we have to be moron's ,we must be stupid,that we are for letting people rip up the land,Blah Blah Blah.
If you arent pro wolf it means you want to see all of them killed off.
The man is a walking agenda that does more harm the good.
Look at this site alone,how many people has he called stupid,told they dont know anything,bashed people for using an outfitter,bashed people for packing out game on an ATV (In a legal manner I might add).
Bashed legal clubs that were working toward the very thing he claims he supports!!!!
He has spouted so many untruth ,twisted so many peoples post around.
Many of the org. he post links to are anti-hunting,anti-rancher,yet if we have dared to point that out we get called name's,told we can't follow his post's,are to stupid to do anything.
This isnt the only site he has been dis-likes at LOL
If he cant take other postes having a different take on things ,thats his problem.
Maybe he should do as Mike posted and try to keep his pompas ass self in check.

rolleyes.gif

All I know is that once you get down past the name-calling, slamming, etc. Ithaca brings facts while MD4ME, Paul, and a few others bring nothing but opinions and wild assed guesses.

Would this be a bad time to ask questions about the different species of quail in Idaho?

How about the game laws in Idaho??

Do they have different seasons for each species of quail?

Do they lump some together?

If you extended the season would you be gunning for all the little birdies, or just a few?

In certain areas?

Just asking.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> All I know is that once you get down past the name-calling, slamming, etc. Ithaca brings facts while MD4ME, Paul, and a few others bring nothing but opinions and wild assed guesses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will lump you into this catagory!!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back