Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Issues with my Kenetreks

Alright, I need some advice here. I have been wearing Kenetrek Mtn Extreme 400s for 4 years now. The first year I got a blister on my left foot after 5 days of hunting, brought them back to Scheels and they replaced them immediately. Since then I've had the same pair. I take care of them, I wear liner socks and this year ended up getting a huge blister on both heels during a 9 day elk hunt in Montana during early bow season. Anyone who was out there this year knows it was brutal (dry, hot, etc.). My feet were sweating like crazy and I developed the blisters after about day 3 or 4. I'm wondering is it the boots (the shape of the heel cup), my feet or is it the sweat causing all the friction between my heal and the back of the boot through the socks? They are excellent quality and when I started to blister during the 2010 season, the liner socks solved the problem. Now, I'm not so sure. There are a million options out there and Lowa just put a new boot this year, the Ticam GTX that looks really promising. Maybe Superfeet insoles or something. Any help would be appreciated.

THWAK--just zip it!:D

400's in the early season? My feet would MELT!

Guessing heat is a major factor.

Excessive moisture can also cause skin to ''Slip''.

Ive had the same problem with mine which are uninsulated. I tried liners, insoles, lacing patterns and everything else. Nothing worked. I get blisters the very instant I start hiking up hill. I did a 8 mile hike this spring bear hunting and by the 3rd mile the kenetreks were tied to my pack and I did the remaining 5mi in my socks. I never plan on wearing the damn things again! Maybe I can throw them in for a package deal with Cushmans:D

In my opinion. Doesn't matter if you are wearing the most amazing boots in the world, if you hike far enough and hard enough you will likely get blisters. The best way I have found to prevent blisters, is to hike all day, every day and eventually your feet get used to it, no matter the boot.

Does anyone on this site own W. C. Russell Moccasin boots? I have worn them since the late 1980s, worn out several pairs and half dozen pairs that will certainly outlast me, thanks to my debilitated condition. Russells are handmade in Berlin, Wisconsin, they are not cheap, but they will fit your feet perfectly and you will NOT develop blisters! And they last a long time. A pair of High Country Hunters I wore two weeks ago in shooting a six-point bull elk, I bought in the late 1980s. I wore the air-bob soles almost off the boots, had them resoled by Russell in about 2004. As I say, they will outlast me for certain.

Fit, feel, and knowing how to lace your boots(and packs) is 1,000 times more important than the brand.

I'm just saying...

Fit, feel, and knowing how to lace your boots(and packs) is 1,000 times more important than the brand.

I'm just saying...

How do you recomend lacing?
Inside out, Outside in, Or straight.
I always go inside at bottom, then left over right inside to out. It keeps the strings more protected and I can get the boot much tighter.

I had the same problem with the heal cup when new. These boots do take a bit to break in. What I did during the break in process is put a piece of felt (same stuff as on your bow riser) on the heal. It took care of the rubbing till the boot broke in. Now I am good to go and love the boot.

Like some, I was surprised at how long it took to break these in. Waxing often did help too.

Alright, great input thus far. Any suggestions on lighter early season boots? Anything Kenetrek is out until I figure WTF is with my feet and the Mountain Extremes.

If the heel cup doesn't fit right, it doesn't matter how well you break them in. They will still give you blisters. Do some searches on the internet, there are few different ways you can lace them to minimize heel slip.

The insulation is part of it, your feet will swell when hot. Lowas are built on a narrower last, maybe they would work better for you? Maybe try the Baffins, Tibets, or Renegades.

You can hike all day, every day in boots that don't fit right and your feet will still blister.

I wear a pair of Asolo FSN 95 GTX for early season and save the Kenetreck 400's for the cold stuff, which we haven't had in Colorado yet.

How do you recomend lacing?
Inside out, Outside in, Or straight.
I always go inside at bottom, then left over right inside to out. It keeps the strings more protected and I can get the boot much tighter.

I'll make a video this weekend. Not sure I can explain it. It's not really where the laces go, but how you tie them.

I wore mine almost daily for 18 days of archery hunting in September without a problem. First of Oct I took my son on a one day rifle hunt out in the sun in Southern Oregon and I ended up with huge blisters on the back of both heals. Too much heat! The price was right on the insulated ones but I rarely need it.

This will be the second fall I've had my Kenetreks. I got the 400 gram for my first pair, and went chukar hunting in them. I got blisters on the back of both heals, so I took them back and traded them in the next day for a pair of non-insulated. I was just used to having insulated boots so I figured thats what I should have done on these, but I've come to realize that these boots don't need the insulation like I had needed before.

I wore them to work every other day...then progressed to every day. Walked a few miles at lunch with them on to harden my heels, and got a pair of liner socks to wear under my wool socks.

Only finally this season with this kind of process am I able to keep the blisters at bay. The prep work is worth it in my opinion though because these boots are great for walking. The ankle support can't be beat, and this is the first pair of boots I've owned that haven't hurt my feet after walking all day.

I switched out the insoles to a pair of Sole, the blue ones and they have increased the performance even more.

I can't see using the 400 gram unless it's extremely cold and your not going to do a lot of walking...then they may warrant it, but if that's the case, then I'd get something warmer that wasn't made for intense hiking.

You really have to match the boot design to your foot width and shape, my feet suck in Scarpas, but meindl and zamberlan fit like a glove..i love european boots, the last two especially (my foot is longish and narrow) and i have no issue wearing a winter boot on an early hunt.
Good socks are very important, wool preferably, and just in case i have feet issues, which sometimes happens, i carry with me a medical product called 'comfeel' (an adhesive dressing) it is actually for hospital patients ulcers, but it sticks like s---, is awesome to use as a secondary skin layer if you are getting 'hot spots' and nothing i have found comes close to hanging it in there on your foot to prevent redness or rubbing turning into a blister.
Find the boot that fits your foot best and wear them in the car, around the house, down the street, mowing the lawn etc etc and when its time to climb you hopefully wont have any issues if you have chosen wisely.

I personally love my insulated mountain extremes and have never had any issue. However i have a pair of insulated mountain guides and am having some issues with them. The Sole on one of the boots seems messed up, it feels really soft compared to the other boot and is really noisy (it squeeks something fierce). Does anyone know what the return policy is on them or if this is normal.

I have worn a Meindl for over 15 years. Second pair. I have a back up pair of Danner mountain lites but they never get much use. Might give either of those a try for early season.
I think lacing and terrain may have a played a part? Certain you wear a good sock, but a great sock is critical too. Anyway, one false move with a re-tie after you air dry from hiking 5 miles or so and ya might have trouble.
> Was maybe gonna buy a pair of those from someone here? How is the sizing on those Kennetreks? true to size? Do you wear a thinner sock? My running shoe is an asics kahana or some flavor in 13, boot for sale is a 12? please advise.

Last edited:
By far the most comfortable on the feet and warmest late season boot I have ever wore, break in was minimal but;
1The foot bed is so high ,I feel like I am walking on stilts
2. The really suck in saddle stirrups
3. My right knee hurts terrible after two or three miles
First season with my boots and still trying to figure out if I can make them work

Back