Is New Mexico worth it?

What's wrong with bonus points? Just increasing ur odds over time. At least a newbie still has a chance in a bonus point system. I wish my state had bonus points for elk.

(Please go easy on me)
All hunters acquire points at the same rate - one per year. There is no advantage with a point system. Until you have more than the median amount of points, you are at a disadvantage compared to those with more than the median amount.

Now I’m about to go apply for things that I don’t want you screwing up my odds for. I would have kept my mouth shut on the whole worth it or not worth it thing, but I can’t keep my mouth shut about a points system.

Ok so maybe it's the 6% that gets me and that the only thing I was going to apply for is pronghorn. Which has the worst odds. Does anyone know if nm gives population estimates? Would help in deciding units to apply for.

Ok so maybe it's the 6% that gets me and that the only thing I was going to apply for is pronghorn. Which has the worst odds. Does anyone know if nm gives population estimates? Would help in deciding units to apply for.
Pronghorn odds there are terrible. They are about as terrible for residents as well. I do wish they would split the outfitter pool and go to 90%/10%.

Just checked go hunt. The easiest to draw units for residents were both 18% archery and 8.5% rifle. For non-res it was 17% and 4.2%. As you can see, even with only 6% for non-res, the odds aren’t really hurting us compared to a resident, they’re really just balancing it out. In fact, the outfitter pool is probably mostly non-res. If they split those tags, non-res odds might actually get worse.

NM is not a place I would apply if pronghorn was the only thing I was applying for, unless I was applying for pronghorn in other places too. If applying for deer or elk, then it only makes sense to apply for a pronghorn if you have room in your schedule and want a pronghorn.

Now that the $65 licenses is non refundable I wouldn't apply for just pronghorn unless killing a antelope in New Mexico is a specific goal of yours. Like others have said if applying for other species might as well but to just apply for antelope its like buying a raffle tag. If you are willing to put archery as a 3rd choice you can increase your odds some.

New Mexico is great ...except for the bull_hit welfare outfitter pool & landowner tags. Otherwise the big 6% of NR tags...is awesome, well..no it really sucks.

Last edited:
Now that the $65 licenses is non refundable I wouldn't apply for just pronghorn unless killing a antelope in New Mexico is a specific goal of yours. Like others have said if applying for other species might as well but to just apply for antelope its like buying a raffle tag. If you are willing to put archery as a 3rd choice you can increase your odds some.

An antelope specifically in NM is not the goal. The goal is the potential of a monster antelope. My home state of az is just as tough of a draw.

Thanks to all for the advise of not applying if only for pronghorn... probably will stay out of the game unless I hear other arguments to apply

Everyone is equal. Non residents get the shaft and I know it is wrong. Order a red chile enchilada with blue corn tortilla with an egg on top (over easy) and life is perfect. My judge of any Mexican restaurant and most do it perfect.

An antelope specifically in NM is not the goal. The goal is the potential of a monster antelope. My home state of az is just as tough of a draw.

Thanks to all for the advise of not applying if only for pronghorn... probably will stay out of the game unless I hear other arguments to apply
If that's the goal I'd be applying and buying points in Wyoming.

It's becoming a sad affair for DIY nonres hunts in many states. The outfitter welfare is out of hand.

SB196 says all funds will be returned to the applicant if unsuccessful. The non refundable $65 is being looked at.

Assuming they made it non-refundable to get P&R money, they should have lowered the price. I think it’s BS that they can boost their “hunters” by doing that, but almost every other state is doing it, so NM might as well do it too. I do think any state making the license non-refundable should make the license cheap.

Assuming they made it non-refundable to get P&R money, they should have lowered the price. I think it’s BS that they can boost their “hunters” by doing that, but almost every other state is doing it, so NM might as well do it too. I do think any state making the license non-refundable should make the license cheap.
[/QUOTE

The amount of money they get is based on how much their licenses are. It's It's a 2 for 1. But I can't remember if they sell $2 they get one from PR or if they sell 1 they get 2. So it doesn't make sense to lower the cost

If you're only applying for hunts with less than 1% chance to draw, then no, NM is not worth it. For deer, if you're willing to branch out and try areas that aren't the traditional "trophy" units, you can increase your odds significantly. Same with trying different weapon types. I've seen some really nice bucks in units that aren't designated as "quality" units. I guess it ultimately depends on what your personal standard is for a "big buck".

As for antelope, your odds kind of stink no matter what you do. However, this is going to be an interesting year with the antelope hunt changes. Having the tags spread out over more hunts means that the applicant pool will be spread out. With a little luck, you might be able to score on a choice that the bulk of the crowd decided to avoid.

At the end of the day, if the nonrefundable license doesn't bother you, why not play the lottery? Somebody has to win it, might as well be you.

If you're only applying for hunts with less than 1% chance to draw, then no, NM is not worth it. For deer, if you're willing to branch out and try areas that aren't the traditional "trophy" units, you can increase your odds significantly. Same with trying different weapon types. I've seen some really nice bucks in units that aren't designated as "quality" units. I guess it ultimately depends on what your personal standard is for a "big buck".

As for antelope, your odds kind of stink no matter what you do. However, this is going to be an interesting year with the antelope hunt changes. Having the tags spread out over more hunts means that the applicant pool will be spread out. With a little luck, you might be able to score on a choice that the bulk of the crowd decided to avoid.

At the end of the day, if the nonrefundable license doesn't bother you, why not play the lottery? Somebody has to win it, might as well be you.

All of this is good advice. I have a lot of hope the new season structure will help odds but little faith.
I am also doing that. But are you saying only save for wyoming or also try nm?
The way I worded that was confusing. I meant you should apply in Wyoming every year instead of just buying points sense part of Wyoming tag are randomly awarded and you could draw a good tag even if you don’t have the points yet. Sure the random is usually a long shot but so is New Mexico and if you don’t draw in Wyoming you get your money back buy your point and repeat till you have the points to get you in the unit you want. As for New Mexico personally I would not pay the $80+ non refundable (license,app fee,stamp) fees for the slim odds on antelope. In years pass sense it was dirt cheap it would have been worth it to just apply for antelope but now it’s not worth it in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back