Is New Mexico worth it?

Blackcats06

Just curious if the low to non existent odds are worth applying? Mainly looking at deer and pronghorn. The nonrefundable $65 does not bother me. It might be the upfront fees with less than a %1 chance at drawing. I feel like I should get something in return and I don't even get a bonus point.

Do you really feel that way? Cause I don't. At least with bonus points I should be guaranteed a hunt in the future, even if its a low quality hunt. NM gives no hope of that.

I don't like the non refundable $65 for a small game license when you apply for a big game license.

If I already have a tag, or am pretty sure I will be getting a tag, then no it is not worth it to me. Even more so now that the $65 is non-refundable. Between the cost and the non-existent odds, it just doesn't add up.

Depends on the unit and type (archery vs rifle) I have not found unit 9 archery worth it

Do you really feel that way? Cause I don't. At least with bonus points I should be guaranteed a hunt in the future, even if its a low quality hunt. NM gives no hope of that.

I love their system. The thing I dislike (hate) is the 6% NR allocation. It was nice having the license refunded when unsuccessful, but all the states seem to be catching on to the benefit of upfront license purchases (as they should with the positive impact on Pittman-Robertson fund allocation that they get from more license sales), so hard to begrudge them that.

I imagine the antelope situation is going to change quite a bit with this years changes. For instance, I bet draw odds in certain areas are going to get exponentially better (similar to the WY units with minimal public land), others probably stay the same or get worse. Deer is the only NM species I don’t put in for, so I am not familiar with the deer units/odds.

But you are right - if your goal is to guarantee a hunt at some point, a state with a pure preference point system is the better choice, although with point creep the way it is here and WY, that’s a moving target. NM is a great example of a state managing for ‘quality’ versus opportunity.

I would give up all of my points in 4 states, including my own, pretty happily if they all went random.

What's wrong with bonus points? Just increasing ur odds over time. At least a newbie still has a chance in a bonus point system. I wish my state had bonus points for elk.

(Please go easy on me)

What's wrong with bonus points? Just increasing ur odds over time. At least a newbie still has a chance in a bonus point system. I wish my state had bonus points for elk.

(Please go easy on me)
Nothing, except over time people get greedy and just having bonus isn’t good enough. They haven’t drawn thier glory tag they want. So then they get squared and then they get .....

It’s a slippery slope.

I like the option of ID and NM being random. The 6% allocation is a big downside. I plan to use NM if I don't already have a tag lined up. Later in life, when I could do more than one hunt a year, I will apply for the glory units. That way I don't have to spend money in a state like UT building points where I may never draw, but I still have a shot at really good units.

Being a "newbie" if your lucky you might be an "oldie" by the time you draw an elk tag with bonus points in most states. Plenty of good elk hunting to be had in states with general tags if your actually willing to hunt.

Points don’t guarantee you significantly better odds of drawing a hunt. They just guarantee you significantly WORSE odds of ever drawing a hunt AGAIN.(or the first time if you get in late)

The lack of a point system is exactly why NM is worth it. Their pronghorn odds are terrible, but their elk and deer odds are actually quite good for the quality of animals that you have a chance at. If applying for both deer and pronghorn your non-refundable cost is $100 total, which is pretty close to CO, and you’ll get to hunt deer roughly 1/3 of the years in NM(there are some decent hunts with 30% odds). In CO you’d be in for the roughly the same $100/year and once you had about three points you could hunt about similar quality mule deer to the easier to draw NM units, but that would guarantee you never got a glory CO tag. In NM, applying for the easy tag as a third choice does not decrease your odds of drawing a glory tag as your first choice. You can essentially hunt short-term, mid-term, and long-term all in NM without your short-term plan delrailing your long-term plan. Additionally, if you draw a glory tag in a state that draws before NM, you can save your money in NM that year and lose absolutely nothing.

The points game is just a way for the younger guys to subsidize the glory hunts for the guys who got in on the ground floor. Anyone who thinks that NM going to a point system would help them out because they would finally be in on the ground floor is mistaken.

There are plenty of deer and elk hunts in NM with reasonable odds. You might not draw this year, but if you apply each year, you’ll actually draw reasonably often.

It’s the ultimate bonus point. It never goes away! Forgot to apply? Don’t worry, you still have ALL your points. Drew a 3pt hunt? That’s okay apply for a 20pt hunt next year! Just started today and found out someone else has 20pts? So do you!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back