Is Ammo supply coming back at all yet?

Here in southeastern Iowa I haven't been able to pick up any commonly used round for months. Although I am not actively calling stores and getting on any waiting list.

I slowly compiled everything I needed by checking the shelves 2-3 times a week at several stores over a couple months (April/May). 22LR was the hardest. One day at Walmart they finally did have it in stock but with a catch: max I could buy was 23,500 rounds. I bought 1000 and left plenty for the next person. I doubt whatever was in stock lasted more than a couple hours though. I’ve been trying to find elastomer tip 30-30 ammo for my friend recently, but no dice.

Here in southeastern Iowa I haven't been able to pick up any commonly used round for months. Although I am not actively calling stores and getting on any waiting list.
Spotted ammo at the Sportsman's Warehouse and Fleet n Farm in Ankeny, IA. Not sure I'd pay their prices for the stuff. F and F had enough .300 WSM ammo to get you through a few weekends in Chicago. eta on a defensive basis and not as an offensive shooter.

Last edited:
Local Cabela's had lots of .223/5.56 and various other FMJ loads/calibers available on Sat and I bought a box of .308 copper hunting loads that was the only one on the shelf. And to my surprise they had .38 and .45 Berry's Bullets too so I got some .38's for my brother. I guess the locals spent on fireworks rather than ammo.

Very limited selection of hunting calibers and they have less shelves in that area now. Despite all that it was the most I have seen in the Gainesville store for awhile.

Definitely coming back albeit slowly. I have seen 6.5 every few weeks from a few different websites. I also was able to grab 2 boxes of 7mm hornady for $55 a box. Could’ve hoarded some but i hope some others were able to get a box and put it to use this season.

What has me concerned is lack of shotgun shells with Dove season approaching. Time to get the old MEC out and do my own. Had to pay out the nose for supplies but my reloads are better than the cheap target loads anyway.

Here it still seems like they get in ammo regularly, but not all calibers or all loads (usually most 12 ga loads I see are 7.5 or 8 shot, for example, so anything bigger is a lot harder to come by) and it sells out within a day or two of when they get their shipments in for the most part. A Cabelas worker confirmed that for me a couple weeks ago. He said they got 30,000 rounds in one day and it was gone within 24 hours. I got there on a day they got a shipment and it was just random what calibers they had, nothing for my rifles and none of the shotgun shells I was looking for. So it’s definitely not over here.

Nosler still out of stock on their website.
Nothing in local stores,or not much. Looks like a weekend yardsale supply in Western drug. Usually boxes stacked in every caliber.
Saw a deputy recently happy to get 3 boxes of pistol ammo secretly...lol.
What a joke.

Scheels in Sioux Falls has been getting more and more stock in every time I go.

Finally saw range SW 40 ammo on the shelf, for like $1.50 a round. For the cheap winchester crap. Couldn't bring my self to buy any, just too much per round!

Hunting rounds in 308 and 30-06 were starting to refill as well.

Big cases of 223 for plinking they had limits on those as well

Last edited:
Reactions: JCS
Coworker was told an order from Federal (vis guidefitter) could take until March 2022
A buddy ordered a couple boxes on April 2nd that haven't shown up yet. I doubt he'll see it any time soon

I have had some luck on ammo here and there, definitely seems like more stuff is coming back and more often. The store fronts seem to be the best option if you time it right.

That being said I am still waiting on orders I made last fall at reasonable prices.

C135F99B-057E-47A6-8E47-A156511C8C4C.jpeg
Ps I am taking that 7/20 shipping date with a grain of salt. That date has been bumped three times already.

Found some cases of hevi metal online. Didnt want to be greedy but I snagged 2 of them I've got two trips planned this year plus hunting at home.

I saw quite a bit of the following this evening in a local brick and mortar retail store:
.223/5.56 (steel case, fmj mil spec, and varmint)
7.62x39
9mm
40 s&w
450 bushmaster
20&12ga turkey loads, buckshot, etc

I’ve also snagged a couple of bricks of primers, and seen several more in stock, albeit at a premium price (especially after shipping, hazmat, taxes) over the past two weeks. Powder is definitely becoming more common at the etailers, as well

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back