Caribou Gear

Iraqi conservation efforts

These Iraqi are showing a level of commitment and gumption than the vast majority of American conservationists. If you lived in an area where your own survival is at risk and you still care so much that you invest your time in wildlife, you have my respect....

When I opened the thread, this was what I was thinking. It shows, I think, that across all cultures there is a strong desire to hold onto a piece of wildness.

Last edited:
I spent time in Iraq in the military and we operated out of a small combat outpost which was a building on an Iraqi mans land him and his wife and kids lived in a house on the property and We got to know them well and also did a lot of operations in the area on foot and went into a lot of houses and business and to us a lot of them did stink and seemed to not have common since but i thinks it’s just a different way of life for them we are not use to. some grow up with out running water and the ability to bath and clean up like we are use to and don’t have access to deodorants and smell good soaps,colognes and to them They don’t stink that’s just the normal smell for them And with that different way of life what seems like common since to us isn’t common to them so they have a different common since. This was just my observation I could be wrong too.

As to lack of common sense, one only has to view the video ... and know it's a repeat performance. Very dumb! I know a few guys who served over there. They were also not impressed. Generally speaking it's a very messed up part of the world. No doubt about that.

You live in one of the best country in the world and you seem to lack common sense as well. 🤷‍♂️

I've been to war torn parts of our world and those people face massive obstacles in their daily lives, which include being shot in the face. These people are committing to something greater than them, fighting for their people and country, and they still take the time for conservation efforts, no matter how big or small. Keep that in mind next time you make asinine comments about things you seem to know nothing about.

For the record, people in the Middle East and Africa are as clean as we are. Without basting our pits with deodorant, we'd all smell like BO. The thing certain areas of the world lack the most is education on all levels; which includes salubrity.

Last edited:
For the record, people in the Middle East and Africa are as clean as we are. Without basting our pits with deodorant, we'd all smell like BO. The thing certain areas of the world lack the most is education on all levels; which includes salubrity.
I had to look up salubrity ( Conducive or favorable to health or well-being.) So, thank you for that.

Are you arguing with yourself - first you say that everyone "as clean as we are," but then you say they are lacking in salubrity. I'm confused.

What a cluster. Those bears seem way too comfortable around people and the vice versa. Different strokes for different folks, but I was kind of hoping the bear would get one those knuckleheads down and start chomping on him. Just so they would take it a little more seriously.

Last edited:
I had to look up salubrity ( Conducive or favorable to health or well-being.) So, thank you for that.

Are you arguing with yourself - first you say that everyone "as clean as we are," but then you say they are lacking in salubrity. I'm confused.
Could've worded that better. In terms of keeping their cities/environment clean, they definitely need help. Same with the concept of disinfecting or washing their hands with soap as much as we do. They bathe like we do and are clean but I've also eaten naan bread that was put in a birck oven with bare/dirty Afghan feet (best naan bread I've ever had). Some areas of the world just don't use deodorant too, they have strong BO but are not dirty.

Apparently the white saviors need to swoop in and show Iraqis how to do a wildlife release? I participated in numerous capture, relocate, and release of various animals in RSA. No, they don’t have the exact same standards, laws, ethics, practices that we have in N America but so what? IMO it’s the overall participation in conservation that matters. Look at all those people in that video - that’s called BUY IN. That’s how you keep these kind of movements going. Maybe someday they won’t all stand so close to the cages but let them figure it out, yeesh.

Apparently the white saviors need to swoop in and show Iraqis how to do a wildlife release? I participated in numerous capture, relocate, and release of various animals in RSA. No, they don’t have the exact same standards, laws, ethics, practices that we have in N America but so what? IMO it’s the overall participation in conservation that matters. Look at all those people in that video - that’s called BUY IN. That’s how you keep these kind of movements going. Maybe someday they won’t all stand so close to the cages but let them figure it out, yeesh.
Careful, you're lacking in decorum and respect.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back