Caribou Gear

Iowa/LSU Women’s BBall tonite

Several fouls on UConn were intentional as they played from behind late in the 4th. So, foul count disparity not as big as stats show. Also, Iowa (particularly Stulke) made concerted effort to drive at UConn and drew a lot of fouls...and UConn played great defensive pressure but that does come w the price of fouls.

Agree the moving screen was a "tough call"...but it was the correct call, screener was moving and hip-checked Marshall on the play. Refs make that call any other time of the game and nobody argues.

Refs did have some other big misses (ghost foul in the paint in 1st half, Clark could have been called for offensive foul late).

I've always found it interesting/ frustrating that fans and sportscasters want sports games officiated differently the last few plays of a game. "You can't make that call at that time!!" Why not? Bc it makes for less dramatic TV? Not directing that comment at you specifically or even this particular play...but has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Call it the same all the time, IMO.
Moving screens in basketball are like holding calls in football. Geno summed it up well at the microphone after the game saying “you can probably call an illegal screen on every possession. Tonight, we got called for 3 or 4 of them. They got called for zero”.

A year, 2 years, 10 years from now is anyone going to remember what happened last night? Is anyone going to remember that Clark had 21 and buekers had 17? Nope, and most people aren’t going to remember who even won. Champions learn from the the last game no matter the outcome and move on to the next. People are going to remember who won the championship game, and even if it’s Iowa they aren’t going to remember if Clark only scored 21, 9 below her average, they are going to remember who won.

I hope there’s a 8 year old girl who watched that game last night and learned about team, class, greatness and 15 years from now in her postgame speech she references that game. Both teams are champions in my book. UConn has showed over the last 20+ years they will learn from their mistakes and be right back next year. Iowa, is hopefully starting a tradition that will be the next UConn. We are witnessing history and hopefully a revolution in women’s basketball, right now.

side note: @BrentD the use of the word bunnies in this thread was not what came to my mind either.

They aren't going to find making those shots any easier with Cardoso patrolling the lane. I have not watched much women's basketball this year, but she impressed me last night. Iowa does not have anyone close to her size to contain her.
O'Grady is their best chance, she gave Reese trouble.

Cardoso played a near flawless game against nc, it was impressive to watch.

I think you have to concede she's going to have 20+ and 10+ boards. Focus elsewhere defensively.

Moving screens in basketball are like holding calls in football. Geno summed it up well at the microphone after the game saying “you can probably call an illegal screen on every possession. Tonight, we got called for 3 or 4 of them. They got called for zero”.

If Geno, reflects a bit, maybe he will realize that the Iowa coaches did a better job teaching their players how to set screens without committing an offensive foul. 4 to 0 is not entirely random.

The other option is things were rigged...we have enough of that mindset other places.

With respect to the "can't call that at that point". I uses to teach soccer referees and that always came up. My answer was simple "if you've been calling it all game and then don't, because you don't want to decide the game, well arent you deciding the game by suddenly NOT calling it"

It's great to see interest in girl's game on here. My daughter is 14, and plays a fair amount of basketball, so we typically follow the girls quite a bit. She's recovering form meniscus surgery so we really sat and watched a lot of the tournament this year and it's been great. I didn't go back and look at a video of the other 3 moving screens but I did see a replay from the left side of the last one and to me, it was clearly a foul and had to be called. It wasn't just the elbow either, she was late getting there.

Looking forward to watching championship tomorrow.

Be they players or coaches, you can guarantee that those bitching about the refs are losers in the moment and are wasting their breath.

Be it fights, football games, or basketball, the proper tactic is to be so dominant that the refs don’t stand a chance of influencing the outcome with a single call or a few calls. Either way, if you take the L, take it with class and no excuses.

I think a volunteer small fry coach taught us that back in 5th grade.

If Geno, reflects a bit, maybe he will realize that the Iowa coaches did a better job teaching their players how to set screens without committing an offensive foul. 4 to 0 is not entirely random.

The other option is things were rigged...we have enough of that mindset other places.
Please show me where I disagreed with the call. I just reported what Geno said into the microphone after the game.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back