Iowa bird (pics & video)

pointingdogsrule

FIRST OFF: Last year I got a lot of crap about my carhartts with lots of holes in them. NOTE: This year new carhartts with no holes :)

Started hunting Thursday PM. Had two jakes come into the decoy setup and kick the decoy's butt. Passed on them as I knew that there were gobblers around. An hour later the gobblers appeared 200 yards away, however, they wouldn't commit. Too many hens with them. Friday morning same place and same thing. Gobblers with six hens and they would not commit. Came as close as 80 yards. On Saturday I moved the blind to where they were struttin previously'. Sunday morning I get out there and the gobbling starts. He goes behind me on property that I do not have permission to hunt. Passed by at 20 yards. An 1 1/2 hours later he appears where my previous blind was set up (NOTE: swearing). The hens make their way 200 yards around me in the alfalfa field. I do not give up on the calls. I get a little aggressive and the hens start making their way to me. The gobblers follow. The boss tom comes into the decoy field (DSD decoys... man I love these decoys). Before he beats up on my decoy I let him have it. 26 1/2 lbs, 1 inch spurs and 11 1/2 beard (very heavy).

And yes, The shot was very close to my decoy. I didn't realize that until I looked at the video. I was concentrating on the bird I just blocked out the decoy :)

Sorry about the video. I was filming into the morning sun and it really came out crappy. WOW just looked at the youtube video and it's really bad, sorry. Lost in translation?

picture.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJXxM-ts40

good luck to all
the dog

Nice bird and video Doc.

Are the old(er) Carharts hanging on a peg in the barn "just in case"? :)

Congrats....I enjoyed your hunt. Thanks for posting.

We just finished our Pa. youth hunt on Saturday We had 10 youth hunters in our program and 5 harvested turkeys, some were their first bird. Our season here opens up this coming Saturday.

Great video and bird . I am going out Wednesday, the first day of season 4 here in Iowa. Thanks for sharing .

Very nice, congrats! Those DSD decoys are on my list for next year when I get the kids out. That video reminds me of chasing turkeys around Decorah years ago. Good luck 4th season if you are headed out!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back