Iowa BHA Rendezvous

Anyone plan on attending? Not sure if it’s coincidence or for the rendezvous but The state director of the DNR will be camping in YRSF equestrian campground this weekend too. I hope she has a trout stamp.

Not going to be able to make it this weekend.

I do want to check out YRSF sometime...seems like maybe a good local option to take the kids "backcountry" camping.

Not going to be able to make it this weekend.

I do want to check out YRSF sometime...seems like maybe a good local option to take the kids "backcountry" camping.
There are some nice “backpacking” sites. Browns hollow is probably the most popular and has a nice spring creek through it to stomp in. Little paint is the most popular drive in and is very well maintained. Big paint camp is nice too. During the summer the equestrian campgrounds are almost empty if it’s too hot to ride horses. There are a few weekends to avoid like when they have the trail run and Driftless flyathon as well as the first couple weeks of squirrel season are busy.

I was thinking about it, but my son is leaving for Army camp (not sure what else to call it) early Sunday so I have to take him to the airport that morning and will want to hang out with him as much as I can Saturday.

Was just in that neck of the woods last weekend . Some serious bird watcher friends were out last week

for a few days and we hiked a bunch in the National Monument land and YRSF trails. If I didn't have commitments around Madison this weekend I'd enjoy sharing social hour with you.
I'm not much much of a bird watcher but tagging along with some experts was very cool . The area bird life really impressed them.

Was just in that neck of the woods last weekend . Some serious bird watcher friends were out last week

for a few days and we hiked a bunch in the National Monument land and YRSF trails. If I didn't have commitments around Madison this weekend I'd enjoy sharing social hour with you.
I'm not much much of a bird watcher but tagging along with some experts was very cool . The area bird life really impressed them.
What kind of birds were they looking for? The best spot in the world to see Prothonotary warblers is the effigy mounds parking lot.

What kind of birds were they looking for? The best spot in the world to see Prothonotary warblers is the effigy mounds parking lot.
mostly little birds. They tallied 75 different birds, the ones most appreciated were Prothonotaries, cerulean, yellow breasted chat, Veery, creepers, Henslow sparrows.
In the evening I took them up on a ridge by my place where I heard Whippoorwill's this spring and they and the Owls did not disappoint.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back