Interesting Prompt For Discussion - Deer Butchering in Public

Lol looks like this is the guys normal meat hanging tree...

If it was me I'd skip the hanging and quarter it in the field and toss it in the fridge or cooler. Looks like a pretty warm day to hang a deer outside personally.

If I was dead set on aging I'd put a game bag over the entire carcass and then cut it at like 6:45pm after schools out and it's mostly dark.

40.306622, -79.544769
View attachment 255244

View attachment 255245
I'm willing to bet there were trees to hang it near where he shot it....If he just HAD to hang it.

They used to tell kids “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”

In my bow hunter ed course here in MT we had the whole “10% hunt, 10% hate it, the other 80% are indifferent, behave yourselves to keep them indifferent” talk.

Also, pushing buttons like Mr. Science Class News Guy there seems like a swell way to get more BS municipal laws passed like “no butchering outdoors inside city limits” that’ll affect the folks that take it to the backyard or the garage with an open door. Sometimes when you push the limits you invite new limits to be set.

They used to tell kids “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”

In my bow hunter ed course here in MT we had the whole “10% hunt, 10% hate it, the other 80% are indifferent, behave yourselves to keep them indifferent” talk.

Also, pushing buttons like Mr. Science Class News Guy there seems like a swell way to get more BS municipal laws passed like “no butchering outdoors inside city limits” that’ll affect the folks that take it to the backyard or the garage with an open door. Sometimes when you push the limits you invite new limits to be set.
“10% hunt, 10% hate it, the other 80% are indifferent, behave yourselves to keep them indifferent” is spot on. Offending that 80% will do more harm to hunting than the anti-hunters could ever achieve.

About 10 years ago i had a fresh mule deer in my garage and needed to butcher it. I had the butcher block out, some knives, set a bone saw on the table, left an axe sticking into a chopping block, left some bones laying around, a meat hook, and put a blood stained pillowcase with 2 eye holes in it over my head, and a headlamp over that. I butchered that deer with my garage door open like that, while passing out Halloween candy to little kids. It was the most popular spot in the neighborhood that night. Some kids were truly terrified. I remember one little kid in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle outfit that DID NOT want to leave. Another kid almost cried when i almost dropped a perfectly cut round steak into his candy bag.

"ONLY ONE!!" I'd yell at them..

I do my skinning and butchering out of sight if at all possible.

Don’t want people around here seeing the results of my successful hunts and deciding I must have a pretty good spot scouted out and that they should squeeze in on it. That is not paranoia, seen it happen time and again around here.

Also, I don’t want all these freeloading neighbors trying to talk me out of backstrap. They don’t ever want burger, or sirloin, or round. They always want backstrap. 😀

Lol looks like this is the guys normal meat hanging tree...

If it was me I'd skip the hanging and quarter it in the field and toss it in the fridge or cooler. Looks like a pretty warm day to hang a deer outside personally.

If I was dead set on aging I'd put a game bag over the entire carcass and then cut it at like 6:45pm after schools out and it's mostly dark.

40.306622, -79.544769
View attachment 255244

View attachment 255245
You’re a hero.

"Call me old fashioned, but I think kids should be informed about where their food comes from… I mean, at what age is it “appropriate” to explain to little Timmy that those chicken nuggets he’s been hammering for breakfast, lunch, and dinner come from real life chickens that he sees at the local petting zoo."

i didn't fully read the article, but i read the above quote at the beginning.

i mean, call me old fashioned, but i think kids should be informed about where the food comes from when and how their parents decide to inform them.

there's a reason i close my garage door while making euros and cutting up animal quarters.

why TF do people think this shit needs to be flaunted?
Gender roles, sexual orientation, those are things that should be left up to the parents, but I’m not gonna be upset if a stranger tells my child his chicken nugget is a dead chicken.

Well the fact is not everyone wants to witness our butchering process unfortunately. It's simply being thoughtful and respectful of neighbors at the end of the day. Not everyone is a hunter and has a clear understanding of this process and most these days can do without seeing it or hearing about it. I'm okay with that!

I am 100% sure he could have found other ways to process and avoid this. As a young adult I've done exactly the same thing not knowing any better at the time.

Gender roles, sexual orientation, those are things that should be left up to the parents, but I’m not gonna be upset if a stranger tells my child his chicken nugget is a dead chicken.

would you be upset if your neighbor see's your 6 your old playing in the yard and says "hey buddy boy, come on over here, let me show you something interesting" and he then proceeds to grab a hen out of the coup, a hatchet, and lops her head off?

it runs about spewing blood from it's neck stump and then falls over.

"now boy, now you see where your chicken nuggers come from. ain't that somethin?"

He didn't do anything illegal. Not sure why people just can't leave other people alone.
Totally agree.

But the reality is, and we all know this to be true, they don't. Any reasonable hunter knows that there are certain things that are just going to piss off folks. Doesn't mean what they are doing is wrong, or illegal... but it does draw unnecessary attention and cast a negative light on other hunters, and it's going to set some Karen off.

For the last 10 years I've lived in towns/cities, I've butchered plenty of animals and boiled lots of heads in small apartments. It's pretty easy to be discrete.

Do you legally have to do be discrete... no. But do I want my HOA to put in place rules against processing my animals.

That's the point here, shooting holes in the boat. Nothing he is doing is wrong, but anyone can recognize it's not got bad optics.

People can yell about culture wars, and feel righteous indignation as they slap "smoke a pack a day" bumper stickers on their trucks, but you are hurting your cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
would you be upset if your neighbor see's your 6 your old playing in the yard and says "hey buddy boy, come on over here, let me show you something interesting" and he then proceeds to grab a hen out of the coup, a hatchet, and lops her head off?

it runs about spewing blood from it's neck stump and then falls over.

"now boy, now you see where your chicken nuggers come from. ain't that somethin?"
If i ever have children I guess I would plan on educating them on where their food come from as they’re born, so no it probably wouldn’t bother me.
If I had an infant and I got a deer, I could 100% see myself hiding him in one arm with a beer in my hand whilst admiring the animal in the bed of a pickup.
I would take a 6 year old how hunting.

If i ever have children I guess I would plan on educating them on where their food come from as they’re born, so no it probably wouldn’t bother me.
If I had an infant and I got a deer, I could 100% see myself hiding him in one arm with a beer in my hand whilst admiring the animal in the bed of a pickup.
I would take a 6 year old how hunting.

i mean really my point is there are proper times to introduce proper things.

kids will naturally begin to recognize that the thing called a chicken nugget, actually comes from a living chicken, it is after all called a chicken nugget and typically it's not because they're shaped like little chickens. the lunch lady at school may even make that clarification in the lunch line. that's fine. if that's shocking for the kid they can ask their parents about it.

but butchering a deer in public? that's really just a manners thing, and to wllms point, it's purposefully throwing gas on the fire, it's not necessary. elementary school kids don't need to have it flaunted in their faces either.

kids do need to understand that eating meat is a game of death and blood. but it's not up to other folks to show your kids those details.

i mean really my point is there are proper times to introduce proper things.

kids will naturally begin to recognize that the thing called a chicken nugget, actually comes from a living chicken, it is after all called a chicken nugget and typically it's not because they're shaped like little chickens. the lunch lady at school may even make that clarification in the lunch line. that's fine. if that's shocking for the kid they can ask their parents about it.

but butchering a deer in public? that's really just a manners thing, and to wllms point, it's purposefully throwing gas on the fire, it's not necessary. elementary school kids don't need to have it flaunted in their faces either.

kids do need to understand that eating meat is a game of death and blood. but it's not up to other folks to show your kids those details.
In 5th grade we dissected deer hearts at my school.

Back