Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Interesting Prompt For Discussion - Deer Butchering in Public

In 5th grade we dissected deer hearts at my school.
And that’s pretty much how I got into hunting.
I wonder if any children had their interests piqued by the sight of the deer?
I wonder if anyone positive hunting conversations were started because of it?

“Honey, could you please take little Willy inside, dads about to throw a beer can chicken on and I don’t want him seeing this.”

How is the moral decay that is so lamented not extended to being a respectful neighbor?

As a sometimes self-proclaimed libtard myself, I know I was taught to that being a good neighbor is right up there with not beating your kids and dogs. Certainly above keyboard warrioring, and self grandiosing. Being a good neighbor is not always easy or enjoyable, but that only makes it more worthwhile.

I wonder if anyone positive hunting conversations were started because of it?

probably. but think about what's trending on the internet instead.

dead deer hanging outside of suburban house maybe turned one kid into a hunter. or 30, who cares really.

what's trending on the internet is a bad image of hunters in the eye's of anti's and non hunters.

dead deer hanging outside of suburban house maybe turned one kid into a hunter. or 30, who cares really.

what's trending on the internet is a bad image of hunters in the eye's of anti's and non hunters.
I guess what it comes down to is if CBS was covering all the illegals crossing the southern border and or all the things that are coming out of Twitter they won't have time to cover a deer hanging from a tree story.

I'll be discrete when I can. I'm a firm believe in trying to get non-hunters to remain indifferent or develop a positive attitude about hunting. But one can't drive down the interstate around deer season most places without seeing carcasses hanging out on trailers, truck beds, etc. However, I prefer my tenderloins to not be marinated in road dust, so I don't do that.

But a parenting/teaching saying that I like, and is often forgotten today: "Prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child".

It just seems really intolerant to be mad at your neighbor for making food.
Obviously I know where you and master wllm are coming from.
But I feel like the people who are upset about this are genuinely wrong.
Its genuinely insane to me that there’s people out there that will eat meat but claim feel sad or put off by the sight of a dead animal.
Disassociation?
Mental illness?
It’s like the ability to acquire pre packaged meat makes you forget what you are.
Like our whole species is forgetting that we’re animals.
And it’s not that I don’t feel maybe bit sad or a little bit weird when I grab a dead squirrel and it’s soft pelt feels like the the warm embrace of my house car, but that’s life.
When I die, I would like to be just stuck in a hole with no casket or tossed in the ocean so those animals can eat me and my energy can return to the environment.

*im at work right now so im having a hard time keeping these thoughts in order.

I would never want to draw attention to myself by skinning a deer in public. It isn't going result in anything positive. I did live in a house for 11 years that didn't have a garage, so I hung my deer from a tree in the back yard. Only three neighbors could see. Two of them would grab a beer and come over to watch and shoot the breeze. and the third was always so high they didn't care or even know what was happening around them. As for kids watching though, I know of a science teacher in a small private school that hangs his deer in the classroom and has the students process it for him.

It just seems really intolerant to be mad at your neighbor for making food.
Obviously I know where you and master wllm are coming from.
But I feel like the people who are upset about this are genuinely wrong.
Its genuinely insane to me that there’s people out there that will eat meat but claim feel sad or put off by the sight of a dead animal.
Disassociation?
Mental illness?
It’s like the ability to acquire pre packaged meat makes you forget what you are.
Like our whole species is forgetting that we’re animals.
And it’s not that I don’t feel maybe bit sad or a little bit weird when I grab a dead squirrel and it’s soft pelt feels like the the warm embrace of my house car, but that’s life.
When I die, I would like to be just stuck in a hole with no casket or tossed in the ocean so those animals can eat me and my energy can return to the environment.

*im at work right now so im having a hard time keeping these thoughts in order.

well i think now we're almost conflating two things. one being the optics of hunting and its continuance as a legal activity and the other being how people couldn't love it.

why people don't love it is irrelevant in this case.

i'm not mad at the guy for making food. i'm mad at him for kicking a hornets nest in the way he went about it.

i also think it's borderline insane that people would condemn hunting and still eat meat. or be put off by the sight of a dead animal and eat meat. but the reality is, there are people like that. and the more pertinent reality here is that there are people that are are actively engaged in trying to end the activity of hunting that jump on opportunities like this to show case behavior that is upsetting and unsettling to folks. they want to cast this generalized negative view of hunting as this ridiculous activity that doesn't fit in with society at large. right or wrong, it's the reality. best not to give them ammo.

Yeah, he just wanted to convey: "Looky here everybody, I killed a deer and am a badazz". (although it was a yearling)
Common sense says to use descretion in this instance.

Hung a deer from a cross bar above my stairwell (mostly out of sight and only accessed my appartment, not shared)when I lived in fam/grad housing at MSU in Bozeman. Just wanted to hang it over night till I had time to cut it up. Sure enough got a call from the campus authority saying I couldnt hang it in my stair well as it presents a safety hazard b/c it blocks an evac route. I said if thats the reason I can't hang it then can I hang it in a tree in the front grass (completely visible to all the other fam/grad housing and dorm buildings). They said "that's just fine, until someone complains and then we will have to ask you to take it down again". LOL Wouldn't do that now but at the time I felt like I didnt have any other options. Also props to MSU for telling me I could hang a deer in the front yard on campus.

Maybe it's just a big cultural difference but I can't imagine this would raise many eyebrows here. I'm not out in the sticks either. I've plucked turkeys in my yard, cleaned squirrels, etc. I'm in the city limits. Never gotten any side eye from it. Maybe they're all just plotting for my downfall but until then I'll keep living my life.

I agree it's bad optics.

There is a hillbilly cadre that doesn't know there is any other way to process a deer beyond hanging it from a tree, and judging by the looks of this fellow he is one of them.

I also agree that folks are too sensitive, and some exposure to our food system is probably good for them. I'm not sure this is the exposure we want though.

Here is a fun article to not fan the flames:

You can skip the first half. Or all of it as I'll summarize. Disney serves wagyu beef. With each steak served they deliver a little card with fun facts about the particular cow you are eating that includes it's name, birthday, and an ink print of the nose. You can also look up the cows ID number with the producer apparently.

From the article: “Do the waiters know how many people they’ve irreversibly damaged doing this? LMAOOO,” wrote one user.

Irreversibly damaged? Horrified? Meh...

Humans are an enigma. We simultaneously want free range grass fed beef that lived their best lives. But to know any details about the life of the cow prior to it being a steak is too much for some folks. Performative outrage? Genuine dismay? Who knows...

I think most of us agree that if you have the option you should cut your deer up in the backyard. Most of us probably agree that talking to your friends and neighbors about our food supply is a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back