Caribou Gear

Insurance Claim Help - Please

NEWHunter

Well, not sure if I’m posting this in the right place because I’m really kind of looking for some help from some friends - but here goes.

My family and I were stopped on the interstate for an accident up ahead. Somebody ended up plowing in to us going 80 mph. Now we’re dealing with the aftermath of trying to put things back together - property and people.

So the question is, how do we make sure we’re not getting taken by the insurance company for our property and our injuries? Anybody work for an insurance company in claims and know how this process works at the insurance company? What “tricks”/procedures are used by the insurance companies to minimize payouts? Any attorneys that do this and know how to get fair values?

For example, I just got the vehicle value estimate back. Everything was listed in average condition. I’ve sold our used cars on my own and gotten “excellent” pricing per the books. I don’t park in the back of the parking lot, wash them frequently, and dealership maintain to get “average” pricing. Ive dealt with insurance companies before on a couple of property losses and it’s always been a struggle to get what’s fair. The vehicle value is just another example. I’ve never dealt with insurance companies regarding injuries.

Unfortunately I’m not really comfortable providing any more information, as I’m aware that anything I say can be used against me. So HT, what do you know? Please help.

I hope everyone is doing okay! Cars and stuff is replaceable, but people are not.

I would certainly have an attorney involved to get the most out of both parties insurance if there was bodily injury, loss of use, pain and suffering, etc.

Your insurance company should be going to bat for you. The other driver's insurance is going to lowball everything so if your insurance isn't bending over backwards and you are wanting a bigger cash settlement, get an ambulance chaser involved on Contingency. ( They will get more $ than you think is fair though)

So sorry this happened to you. My advice is don't be in a hurry on the medical stuff. Things can pop up months after a crash. Highly recommend getting an attorney.

My boys and I were involved in a wreck over 3 years ago (thread below) and we just settled the medical part of it a couple months ago. Without an attorney I think I would have lost patience long ago and just took the first small offer the insurance company made which wouldn't even have covered our out of pocket medical expenses. Good luck!

Well, not sure if I’m posting this in the right place because I’m really kind of looking for some help from some friends - but here goes.

My family and I were stopped on the interstate for an accident up ahead. Somebody ended up plowing in to us going 80 mph. Now we’re dealing with the aftermath of trying to put things back together - property and people.

So the question is, how do we make sure we’re not getting taken by the insurance company for our property and our injuries? Anybody work for an insurance company in claims and know how this process works at the insurance company? What “tricks”/procedures are used by the insurance companies to minimize payouts? Any attorneys that do this and know how to get fair values?

For example, I just got the vehicle value estimate back. Everything was listed in average condition. I’ve sold our used cars on my own and gotten “excellent” pricing per the books. I don’t park in the back of the parking lot, wash them frequently, and dealership maintain to get “average” pricing. Ive dealt with insurance companies before on a couple of property losses and it’s always been a struggle to get what’s fair. The vehicle value is just another example. I’ve never dealt with insurance companies regarding injuries.

Unfortunately I’m not really comfortable providing any more information, as I’m aware that anything I say can be used against me. So HT, what do you know? Please help.
Sorry to hear. I hope everyone is on their way back to health and happiness. Regarding the car value, maybe there is a HT'er that is an agent and can give insight. But generally you will need proof of your above-average claim. Think of it from the Insurance Company's point of view. Everyone is going to try to maximize the payout and say it was in "excellent" condition. If the car is totaled, there is no way to tell. So typically the insurance co just pays the average for that car of that year at that mileage. The frequency with which you wash you car will not affect its value. The insurance co doesn't pay much attention to cosmetic condition.

I can't help much and hope everyone is ok from your car. I would lawyer up and the VERY FIRST question I would ask is "were they on the phone at the exact time of the impact"....if yes ask for 10x what you think a good number is. God luck and I hope you all stay well.

Lawyer….stop talking directly to the insurance and get a lawyer.
@NEWHunter, first try to get your insurance company to talk to their insurance company. Use their lawyers and let them fight over it. Lawyers want to be paid and without knowing the specific circumstances, it may or may not make financial sense to hire a lawyer. If it is just about the car, I doubt a lawyer is worth the money, but just guessing.

I have worked for a very large P&C insurance co. Their lawyers are better than the ones you hire (now is a good time to read all that fine print in the policy you signed). You can keep bugging them to squeeze a little more out of them, but I wouldn't legal-up without making sure you are ready to pay for the fight.

Keep in mind that an insurance co will often pay their lawyers more than the damage's asking numbers to keep from settling. Not trying to muddy any waters or be a downer, simply a fact.

Keep in mind that an insurance co will often pay their lawyers more than the damage's asking numbers to keep from settling. Not trying to muddy any waters or be a downer, simply a fact.
Yeah, insurance cos don’t stay in business if they get the reputation for paying for everyone that said their car was excellent. The exception is those that add some “pain and suffering” in the personal injury damages. Insurances like to avoid juries if possible.

Yeah, insurance cos don’t stay in business if they get the reputation for paying for everyone that said their car was excellent. The exception is those that add some “pain and suffering” in the personal injury damages. Insurances like to avoid juries if possible.
On the contrary, they'll take it to a jury and pay much more to avoid settlement.

Your insurance company should be going to bat for you. The other driver's insurance is going to lowball everything so if your insurance isn't bending over backwards and you are wanting a bigger cash settlement, get an ambulance chaser involved on Contingency. ( They will get more $ than you think is fair though)
Your insurance company will want to make this go away, particularly if you start dipping into the uninsured or underinsured motorist pool - that will turn your insurer into an adversary almost instantly. Hire the attorney.

@NEWHunter, first try to get your insurance company to talk to their insurance company. Use their lawyers and let them fight over it. Lawyers want to be paid and without knowing the specific circumstances, it may or may not make financial sense to hire a lawyer. If it is just about the car, I doubt a lawyer is worth the money, but just guessing.

I have worked for a very large P&C insurance co. Their lawyers are better than the ones you hire (now is a good time to read all that fine print in the policy you signed). You can keep bugging them to squeeze a little more out of them, but I wouldn't legal-up without making sure you are ready to pay for the fight.
The lawyers your insurance company employs are advocates for the insurance company. If this is more than a few thousand dollar situation (and it sure sounds like it), get your own advocate.

David
NM

Remember that you haven't given us much info on this situation. I suspect you may be dealing with multiple insurance cos (yours, theirs, auto, health). Maybe having a lawyer to be your advocate would be a help, but you will pay for that advocacy so it situation dependent.

This may help for the car situation.
For example, State Farm explicitly references its insurance value car calculator: “We base your vehicle’s value on its year, make, model, mileage, overall condition, and major options—minus your deductible and applicable state taxes and fees.”

Here is the calculator

Source- A good read for anyone on car damage

Also depends how much the insurance companies are in each other’s pocket. We had a situation where the other driver was CLEARLY at fault. Their insurance tried to lowball us, I had my insurance push back but then “they” both agreed to go to arbitration where I basically ended with the short end.

Needles to say I’m no longer represented by a lizard…

Back