Inreach

Jc2020

I am looking at buying a garmin inreach I’m looking at the GPS map 66i and was curious If anyone uses this particular one or what you do you use this one accepts sd cards so I like that’s about it but looking for input on it thanks

I believe its limitations make small screen limited function maps a waste of $.

Simple opinion that may mean Jack squat though, i love my phone for camera, video, OnX that is vastly superior, and paired to my standard inreach.
King of two main functions, as mentioned, just my humble opinion.

Simple opinion that may mean Jack squat though, i love my phone for camera, video, OnX that is vastly superior, and paired to my standard inreach.
^ This

The 66i mentioned by the OP is compatible with onXmaps, with a larger screen than the original Inreach units. I'm thinking hard about upgrading from my current Inreach.

The 66i mentioned by the OP is compatible with onXmaps, with a larger screen than the original Inreach units. I'm thinking hard about upgrading from my current Inreach.
Now that's interesting...

Saw a picture elsewhere for size comparison. Curious Oak, do you plan to stop carrying your phone if you upgrade? If so, do you use other equipment for photos, video, etc? Does the 66i enable the same upload of pics to the onx mapping, etc?

4af20401e782819fd14b8c6b386a0aee.jpg

I should add, the various additions make my phone pretty handy, such as audiobooks, music @ camp, etc...

Now that's interesting...

Saw a picture elsewhere for size comparison. Curious Oak, do you plan to stop carrying your phone if you upgrade? If so, do you use other equipment for photos, video, etc? Does the 66i enable the same upload of pics to the onx mapping, etc?

4af20401e782819fd14b8c6b386a0aee.jpg
Well, for whatever reason, I have not been able to get on the bandwagon with those using their phone as a GPS. So I currently carry my phone for my phone skope, my Garmin GPS, and my Delorme Inreach. :rolleyes: I also carry a real camera. :rolleyes::rolleyes: So upgrading to the 66i would allow me to carry one less electronic item. I also recently got a tripod mount for my phone, so I might ditch the real camera as well. Seems like I'm taking grip-n-grins by myself 95% of the time.

I also recently got a tripod mount for my phone, so I might ditch the real camera as well. Seems like I'm taking grip-n-grins by myself 95% of the time.
Same situation for me. Which mount did you go with? Balancing a phone on top of the pack frame is tricky.

+1. For me, InReach is an emergency communications and locating device only. All of the other functions it does are better supported by my phone.

We upgraded at work to the 66i and I've been using it since this winter.

Just an FYI, if you have older onx cards, they probably wont work.

Other than that, its great to only carry one unit for both the gps and inreach. Pairing to your phone is also really easy, if I can figure it out anyone can.

I've had the 66i for two weeks.
Garmin is working on its servers after an attack and can't help me sync it so I am not able to use the free preset messages. Kinda frustrating.
I have had quite a few reliability problems with my phone and on x so I really like to have a good gps. So far the 66i seems to be the best I have ever had.

Ditto to what others have said, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Earthmate. It is the proprietary app that's designed to link to your inReach via Bluetooth. Provides an improved interface for mapping and messaging through your phone, so the inReach is just acting as the receiver/transmitter. I have used the inReach on several long distance canoe trips in Canada which required often complex navigation and frequent messaging regarding weather, float plane/extraction contact, and medical info discussions, and have greatly enjoyed not having to type out longer messages on the inReach itself, and also a much better view of my digital maps. OnX is great, but it crashes frequently for me and doesn't have detailed international maps. Earthmate kind of papers over those cracks for me. Nice to have both, and it really enhances the functionality of the inReach.

I installed Earthmate on my phone for use with my Mini. Have only played with it a little bit.

Ditto to what others have said, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Earthmate. It is the proprietary app that's designed to link to your inReach via Bluetooth. Provides an improved interface for mapping and messaging through your phone, so the inReach is just acting as the receiver/transmitter. I have used the inReach on several long distance canoe trips in Canada which required often complex navigation and frequent messaging regarding weather, float plane/extraction contact, and medical info discussions, and have greatly enjoyed not having to type out longer messages on the inReach itself, and also a much better view of my digital maps. OnX is great, but it crashes frequently for me and doesn't have detailed international maps. Earthmate kind of papers over those cracks for me. Nice to have both, and it really enhances the functionality of the inReach.
Does earthmate require a subscription

I installed Earthmate on my phone for use with my Mini. Have only played with it a little bit.

I have been trying to convince my brother to buy the mini for a while. I have one of the original inReach models, but it seems like the mini and Earthmate would be the ideal lightweight backcountry set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back