%#&@ing Wolves

Greenie, or whatever you want to be called.

I guess we just hire a little better help down here then you're claiming they do up there in the G&F departments. If it's that wrong, why don't you throw your name in the hat and go to work for them to change it. You probably think that you can't change it so you'll continue gut shooting wolves outta spite. I don't see any difference in what you do and what any other poacher is doing!!!

99% of the time the Fish and Wildlife Department down herein TEXAS is doing the right thing that needs to be done to make sure everything is in balance, but obviously everything up there is much, much more difficult than it is down here.

WHATEVER!!!!

Wake up dude.....

JimmyD, with all due respect, you dont know what you're talking about. Comparing what Texas does to MT is a joke, and a poor one at that.

You dudes in Texas dont understand the complexities of wildlife management up here. Theres lots of local as well as national politics that play in real heavy. We have all sorts of things to worry about and concerns that Texas just doesnt have to deal with.

I would also venture a guess that managing what little real wildlife you have left in Texas could be accomplished by just about any bone head with a wildlife degree.

The politics involved in just public lands would swamp your Texas wildlife managers, that you're so proud of.

When your state and its managers have to deal with things like griz, wolves, lynx, etc. come back and tell me how well they run things and how poorly MT has and is dealing with the complex problems associated with the above species. Until then, I think it would be in your best interest to do a little more reading/listening, and a little less running of the mouth. Just a suggestion.

Buzz.. let me mention something about your hippocritcal comment... you'll never ever ever hear me at a FWP meeting asking to lower cat quotas or bitch about having cat season open during general hunting season. I would be on the opposite end of that... and yes I've heard probably some of the same whining houndsmen that you have. And yes, I don't see why wolves and grizzlies couldn't be managed by a quota system. I think it could probably fund itself also.

JimmyB... smartypants... who pinched your head when you were born?

Yah know it seems those that are so darn excited about having wolves are the ones that don't live and work around them every stinking day. And for the most parts have never seen one, tracked one, or for that matter knows what is there for populations of the wolves themselves and the game around them. I would venture to guess that not many in this discussion has seen one. I have spent alot of time around wolves. That includes trapping them in Alaska and having them around my camps in Canada. Now they are infesting Montana. The numbers in Montana are in excess of 300 by the fish and games count and rising fast. There is no check or balance on them and the fish and game will tell you if they are killing your livestock or any of your animals that you cannot yell at them, throw rocks, or harrass them in any way. When them b*stards killed two of my dogs the fish and game told me if I had a situation like that in the future that if I was "near a wolf" to go ahead and throw a rock and yell, but don't tell anyone or I could be arrested!!!!!! These wolves are making me sick, they have been placed on a pedestool high above all other game animals and their reintroduction is going to be a success and damn all other game that has to suffer for it, mt lions included. The fish and game has virtually destroyed the lion population in western Montana and I feel that is to try to offset the kill by the wolves. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please go out and spend some time in an area with a wolf population before you tell me what is right and wrong. Happy hunting, Casey

I personally don't give a flying PUCK if I ever see a damn wolf, and agree with you about the complexities of managing National Forest, but to say anyone can manage wildlife down here is a big mistake. Granted all the large ranches down here are high fencing to grow big deer, but our Game and Fish is in the process of reintroducing elk and bear out west, not to mention that we have one of the largest waterfowl flyways in the U.S. But I guess there's no politics involved with this and it's pretty simple compared to what ya'll have to deal with.

I apologize to all you folks up there that I may have pissed off, except yellow belly who thinks it's cool to gut shoot animals. I'm no animal rights activist by any means, but that's just wrong. When I was growing up we use to gut shoot deer because they were eatting crops and we wanted them to run off and die after we shot them. That ain't cool, no matter what. If you're gonna kill one, kill the damn thing you coward!!!!!

1 pointer,

I saw you response to a post in sportsmans issue before it was taken off. Maybe you should pay attention to how those conservative Utah boys deal with preditor management. They might learn you something. You can bet that no wolves will be tolerated in Utah, ever. Bottom line here guys is we all need to figure out what team we are playing for if we want to continue to hunt. If you want wolves around we might as well put away our guns and tear up our tags. We CAN'T have both!

Paul

I only aim for the hind end (Texas heart shot) because it is the only thing I see when they are running off. Once I get my 17 remington dialed in, I will be aiming for the genitals or snout, depending on if it is a male, female or pup.

Greenhorn, I also think wolves and griz should be on a quota system and I do believe they could be contolled somewhat by a quota system. However, I think the griz could be controlled much easier, fewer of them, reproduce slower, etc. Wolves, good luck controlling them with hunting. You've seen the harvest stats for MT elk hunters, I wonder what the harvest stats would be for wolves? Most hunters in MT have a hard time finding an elk, can you imagine the same guys trying to hunt wolf or griz?

Also, the whining houndsmen comment was not directed at you in the least, just an observation that I have made at the many FWP meetings I've attended. Save the cats and kill the wolves, doesnt make any sense, thats all. Cats kill a pile of elk, deer, sheep, etc. no denying that.

Casey, how do you figure the fish and game has harmed cat populations in Western Mt? I dont agree with that for a second. I wonder how many quotas failed to fill this year????

I know what you are talking about with the houndsmen. Those guys will be the first ones to tell you all the wolves need to go, and agree the cat numbers are too high. Although they claim they are doing their part to control the cat numbers, they hold out for a big Tom while passing on all the females. This really helps keep the lion numbers down... not. Not that I can talk or anything, I would probably rather shoot a big Tom myself if I get the chance. If it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about, it is because I don't. I admit it. Feel free to tell me so.

WeakEnd: All I know that you don't know is that if you don't strech your crotch properly before assuming a squatting position with a long heavy pipe, you can really hurt yourself. I'd prefer a big ol Tom too... but I'll joyfully whack a running female cat in the ass during general season when we are allowed to.

Buzz, we would fill those quotas on cats and bears I'm certain. There's enough guys that would want one of them badly enough to put in the right effort. I'd give me and WeakEnd Warrior about 3 days to find and nail either a griz or wolf, maybe more if we were being selective, but that's all it would take I think, depending on the time of the year we could hunt.

Yeah, I suppose if I see a female cat, I would also do the cowardly thing and shoot her in the ass. Kind of tough to be picky on cats when you don't own any hounds.
I forgot to mention my all time favorite shot. One time I was actually aiming for the heart on this wolf pup. I misjudged the distance a bit and ended up blowing off both front legs right below the shoulder. I was shooting my 300 win. The thing plowed a little ditch with his snout as it ran for the den.

OH boy.. somebody should send Dirty's chick a link to this topic!

Hey do any of you cat guys have any tips on how to sex cats on a dead run through the timber in deep snow? I want to be able to quickly judge them before I let fly with my magnum. Would be nice to know the sex before the shot, even though I'd take it anyways.. Of course I'd have to be knowledgable on the female quota standings at the time. Either that, or I could claim the cat was taken in a unit further over in the west where them quotas never fill anyway. :D :D :D

I would think you would have to be able to run pretty fast with your pants down if you are going to sex a cat on a dead run. I usually like to shoot my animals before I sex them. I call it field mounting.

Is this a good time to post a picture of Weekend Warrior sexing a freak-horn antelope?

Why not? Or maybe we could link in some video from our recent black-tail prairie dog archery/bootheel mayhem film, to show our enthusiam for the USF&W special species management ideas.

Buzz and Greenhorn:

For your information houndsmen don't whine. We may bark, howl, growl, bay, chop, or occasionally yodel, but we do not whine. Dam poopy-heads.....now carry on.

This is my take on wolves, take it for what its worth. there is no place in the lower 48 for wolves PERIOD. Grizzly can be a problem but not as bad since there whole diet is not concentrated around meat. Lions, sorry I dont know squat about them.

Think about it. wolves are pack animals. each pack needs so much land for itself. The lower 48 is losing most of its wilderness. That pushes more wolves into the same area. Gee, they get hungary they are gonna be hunting (naturally). They will be hunting the farms, elk herds deer and any other ungalate. What happened 100years ago is totally different. yes, the #'s of elk and deer didnt drop that much. Notice the size and number of cities 100years ago. the wolves had a larger area to hunt so the impact wasnt as noticable.

You folks are gonna have some serious problems in the future with wolves. I've said and thought this for a long time. Our problems are bad and we are screwed. we will never get a good wolf management program going. you guys have a chance. start now before its to late.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Greenhorn and WW,

Your behaving like a couple of guys from Butte. Oh wait, one of you is from Butte. Sorry carry on. Tell Bryan I'll be givin him a call to give me a hand breaking in my Rambling Rifle, which should be arriving any day now. Thanks Paul

Paul C, you're right I do need to keep my ears open and that's why I'm going to school...to learn!!! I will find out what I can about wolves in UT. What I do know is the a project was launched to study the possiblity of them coming into UT and the next thing people know State Rep. are at the college talking to people. I spoke up when I didn't have the information to do so. I'm keeping my mouth shut and ears open.

BTW I am a grad student a Utah State. What is the resentment for people who pursue and education? I don't get it. I am sure that many folks are studying the wolf reintroduction, but the problem lies in that science should be objective and the money comes through politics which is not. If you would like to know my research is dealing with grazing. So, you see some people are doing research to figure stuff out.

I am very jealous of you, those Rambling Rifles look neater than a skeeter peter. I'm saving my pennies now for an ultra-lite tipi.

Back