Indiana rifle buck

nwihunter

My first high powered rifle kill in Indiana. I can’t say as though I’m a fan of the addition of high powered rifles to our list of legal weapons in my home state, but I diceided to bring out my 7mm mag this year. Got this guy down this past Saturday afternoon really happy with this one.

Attachments

• 99C1216C-9046-44E8-B07F-0A358825F27C.jpeg
    99C1216C-9046-44E8-B07F-0A358825F27C.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Congrats on a dandy buck!! You are much better/faster at cleaning skulls than I am.

PS- Not too many folks outside of IN call them "high powered" rifles... ;)

Congrats on a dandy buck!! You are much better/faster at cleaning skulls than I am.

PS- Not too many folks outside of IN call them "high powered" rifles... ;)

I find if I start boiling on the day of the kill it’s not as smelly and disgusting. Kinda like a big bowl of soup then. That’s funny about the high power rifle comment. I never thought about that but I only hear that in my area. I guess it’s just a rifle everywhere else.

Shotgun forever until a few years back. First they started letting smaller riffles like .44 mag and such. Last year approved a bunch of the larger caliber rifles. This year they allow anything with a 1.16”to a 3” case length with a minimum of 6mm diameter bullet. Rifles are alllowed on private land only. It’s a little dangerous in my opinion. Seems like they just want drop the herd numbers. That’s what I think anyways

First shotgun only, then a few years ago to PCR (pistol cartridge rifles) and now HPRs....but HPRs on private land only. The whole thing becomes funny at some points.
Beautiful buck!! Congrats!!! Was Indiana one of those straight wall rifle cartridge states or was it shotgun only??

Why aren't you a fan of rifles??Why not use your old slug gun then?I'm not understanding.I've always wanted to go over to Indiana but hear the public ground is as bad as Pa

Why aren't you a fan of rifles??Why not use your old slug gun then?I'm not understanding.I've always wanted to go over to Indiana but hear the public ground is as bad as Pa

It’s not that I’m not a fan of rifles it’s just a fairly densely populated area where I live and hunt and it just didn’t seem necessary to allow them. Very flat terrain with houses spread out everywhere and it’s perfecrly legal to use them. I will still use a slug gun depending on where I hunt. As far as public land I don’t think I would travel to from out of state to hunt any of th public land in the northern part of state where I live. I’ve hunted them quite a bit but wouldn’t make it a destination hunt. Just my opinion. I can’t speak for the southern part of the state since I haven’t hunted it but I believe there are larger tracks of property down there.

Never hunted PA, but there's public ground in the southern part of the state that doesn't get too crowded and can produce deer. If/when you ever want to give it a try, let me know. Might even be able to arrange a place to base out of or if not in use a cabin to rent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back