Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

In Search of a quality rangefinder

Aaron KS197

I'm searching to replace an older rangefinder that I have. What would everyone recommend for a quality rangefinder to do the following

-high clarity in the glass
-range out to 500 yards and beyond
-easy to operate
-compact
-durable

Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you everyone.

On this forum there's a lot of people really liking sig, and there's always a group of loyal leupold guys. For me its hard to beat leica. They're in the middle price wise but similar ranges and quality as more expensive models. They have a narrow beam which has less divergence than cheaper models on flat brushy land. Picture a flashlight on a table. A wider beam equals more light on the table to interfere with the signal. Ebay usually has some good deals on used ones. My buddies and I have bought 4 and have had no problems with the used ones. Also camofire will.have them on sale once in a while.

The Sig models are tuff to beat for performance, clarity, and most importantly value.
Most people can be happy with the 800 model.
Sig's range much farther than the model is rated for under normal circumstances.
I can't say enough about my Sig kilo 1250. I got it on sale for around $200.00.

I love my Sig Kilo 2000. I would either get a Sig or a Leica. The sig does have a tiny tinge of blue in image but that doesnt bother me. I have ranged a group of trees at just over 1800yds at dusk and hand held. I do not feel this is the norm but the will do it. On animals I have ranged elk to over 600 with no issues. I love my Sig, and feel you can not go wrong. I would take the Leica 2nd. You did not mention budget. if you have a couple of thousand you want to spend there are some extremely nice LRF's that totally destroy these two but they come at a very steep price. For me the Sig is perfect.

I bought Vortex and Leupold 1000 range finder off Craigslist nearly new for $200 apiece.

They both do what they should. Buyers market for them these days.

I have 3 rangefinders, and have owned about 5-6 others. I have a Leica 1200 scan, Sig Kilo 2000, and a Leupold 1200i TBR.

I only use one, for archery and rifle hunting, and it's the Sig.

The only reason I wouldn't sell the Leica is because it's old and worth more to me as a back up, than I could get for it. I'd sell the Leupold in a heartbeat, but just haven't bothered with it yet. If you're interested - I'll sell it to you. Used for one archery hunt and I have the box still. The deal breaker is the reticle brightness setting that cost me a potential shot at an XL elk at low light.

Vortex has a lifetime no fault warranty, best I have found. Leopold has the second best warranty on rangefinders. Vortex appeared to me to be a bit clearer than the Leopold. I haven't tried the Sig yet.

I have 3 rangefinders, and have owned about 5-6 others. I have a Leica 1200 scan, Sig Kilo 2000, and a Leupold 1200i TBR.

I only use one, for archery and rifle hunting, and it's the Sig.

The only reason I wouldn't sell the Leica is because it's old and worth more to me as a back up, than I could get for it. I'd sell the Leupold in a heartbeat, but just haven't bothered with it yet. If you're interested - I'll sell it to you. Used for one archery hunt and I have the box still. The deal breaker is the reticle brightness setting that cost me a potential shot at an XL elk at low light.

Can you explain the problem, please?

Leupold's version - you can manually adjust the reticle brightness by cycling through a series of button pushes. It's simple to do, but not in an adrenaline charged hunting situation. The Sig's reticle is automatic, based on the light it detects outside. Let's say, if you go to range a 380 bull walking by and bugling at 50 yards or so, and had the setting on Hi when it was sunny so you could actually see it. When it's very low light and you're in the thick trees, you point it at an elk, and the bright setting blinds you, and you cannot even see the elk through it. I had to let an elk walk by me, so another clown could fling and arrow and miss. I've never used that rangefinder since, and you can buy it for el cheapo if you're interested.

My fiancé purchased me the sig 800 this year, which I then traded/upgraded to the 2200. Biggest reason I did was because of the reticle color and brightness on the 2200. I was having some issue seeing the black reticle of the 800 in the bright sun just in our back yard, with the 2200's red reticle and automatic brightness I don't have that problem at all. Really looking forward to using it in the field this fall.

I've heard good stuff about the Sig, but I've had a Leica for about 10 years now. Mine is one of the older clunkier models but it's a great piece of equip! I'm sure the newer Leica's are only better. Red retical is hard to beat IMO

Leupold's version - you can manually adjust the reticle brightness by cycling through a series of button pushes. It's simple to do, but not in an adrenaline charged hunting situation. The Sig's reticle is automatic, based on the light it detects outside. Let's say, if you go to range a 380 bull walking by and bugling at 50 yards or so, and had the setting on Hi when it was sunny so you could actually see it. When it's very low light and you're in the thick trees, you point it at an elk, and the bright setting blinds you, and you cannot even see the elk through it. I had to let an elk walk by me, so another clown could fling and arrow and miss. I've never used that rangefinder since, and you can buy it for el cheapo if you're interested.

This feature really interestsd me. I have had the same issue being blinded by a super bright red reticle.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back