Rangefinder recommendations

Sagebrush1

Hello,

I’m need to get a new rangefinder. I have the Sig Kilo now (I purchased it probably 6-7 years ago).

The Sig will barely range an animal at 350…if there are no bushes, no snow, its on a rest, my heart isn’t beating, I’m holding my breath, and saying a quick prayer. Ha!

I’m really kind of fed up with it. I want something that I can realistically range a deer at 800 yards, and terrain features even longer.

I’m not a “long range shooter”, but it would be nice to see ranges out that far for stalk planning purposes, and just for fun.

I’m leaning towards the Maven RF-1. If you have experience with it, or have any other recommendations, I’m all ears. I’d like to keep it under $500.

If you toss another $50 bucks at your budget you can get a Leica 2400. I’m on about year 17/18 with my Leica I bought way back then. Pretty inexpensive by the year. Never has failed to range and used for long seasons in nasty conditions. If it ever does crap out I will buy the 2400.

Hello,

I’m need to get a new rangefinder. I have the Sig Kilo now (I purchased it probably 6-7 years ago).

The Sig will barely range an animal at 350…if there are no bushes, no snow, its on a rest, my heart isn’t beating, I’m holding my breath, and saying a quick prayer. Ha!

I’m really kind of fed up with it. I want something that I can realistically range a deer at 800 yards, and terrain features even longer.

I’m not a “long range shooter”, but it would be nice to see ranges out that far for stalk planning purposes, and just for fun.

I’m leaning towards the Maven RF-1. If you have experience with it, or have any other recommendations, I’m all ears. I’d like to keep it under $500.
I can appreciate your attitude. I have a Leupole I got years ago that does about 650yds and all I have ever used it for was checking the land around me to check ranges should a shot come in that way. Only thing I shoot at much oter than target's to 200 yds is rocks way off I have to guess at the range! I zero MPBR so if an animal comes in 300 yds from me I know if it's getting in to where ai might take the shot. strange thing about it though is more times than not I simply forget to take it! Kind of like drinking water, you don't need it till you do! :) BTW, not recommending any rangefinder this Leupold is the only one I've ever had or used!

Another vote for Leica...buy once, cry once. I have had a Leica CRF 1000R for a number of years, and it has been flawless. Great optics!

I've actually heard/seen good results with the Sig Kilos. Maybe different/newer models? For hunting I have an older pair of Leica rangfinder binos, won't fit in your budget, but as much as I like them I'd feel confident in their rangefinders too. My favorite stand-alone rangefinder is my Vortex Razor 4000, which if you can find a demo on EuroOptic or another site might be in budget. No matter what you get, I'd recommend one that's rated well beyond your intended shooting distance. I like to get a range where the animal is and then points along the way to know where I want to sneak to.

My vortex read full battery before my deer hunt and I get out there and the display is completely dead. If new battery doesn’t bring it back I’m looking at my second warranty claim in 2 years. Buy once cry many times because it fails…but also never have to buy a new unit with the lifetime warranty.

I’m thinking of having 2 rangefinders. An actual quality unit for when it counts and the Vortex for everything else.

Personally not a fan of long range readings. I prefer drawing a distance line on OnX based on terrain features, but to each their own.

Has it always been that way or just decreased in performance over time? That would drive me nuts to try and make that work.

Anyone have experience with the leupold RX 1400i? I have the same general question as the OP. I was thinking about trying the leupold due to the price/features.

Anyone have experience with the leupold RX 1400i? I have the same general question as the OP. I was thinking about trying the leupold due to the price/features.
I have a bunch of Leupold stuff and they are a great company, but double check their warranty. My experience was a few years ago and things might be different now, but I went to send one back with a bad display and was told that the warranty for the electronics of the rangefinder had expired.

I have one and have used it for years. I have no real complaints, it has worked flawless for me and I am still on the original battery. I have limited experience with any other rangefinders so I have nothing to compare it to but this one can be a little sensitive when using it "offhand". (Could be my shaky hands?) Leupold has a 2 year warranty on electronics if I recall.

I have a Vortex Razor that has worked great for me, but I get a great deal on them. If you are spending your money Leica would be my first choice as well. The one thing we get customer complaints about Leupold optics are rangefinder issues.... the warranty is 2 years FIRM. Leica is a wonderful choice.

I have one and have used it for years. I have no real complaints, it has worked flawless for me and I am still on the original battery. I have limited experience with any other rangefinders so I have nothing to compare it to but this one can be a little sensitive when using it "offhand". (Could be my shaky hands?) Leupold has a 2 year warranty on electronics if I recall.
For under $200 dollars that seems like one of the better economy rangefinders on the market. I have the 1200 they used to make that was notorious for having display fading issues but from what I've been reading they have addressed that issue with the newer models. The Leica mentioned in this thread sounds great, but it's north of $500 dollars. I just need something that will range a deer/elk consistently out to 700-800yrds. Not that i'd take that shot but I'd like to know the range for planning stocks, etc.

Whatever you decide to get just make sure it works in fog and mist. In archery this season I missed a bull because my rangefinder wouldn't range through the fog/mist. I was using the vortex ranging binos for reference.

This is really solid advice
Well if the animal your looking at is out say 500yds you could probably walk right at it some distance before spooking it. I don't see any reason to get a rangefinder that works much beyond that. My leupold does 650 mst the time but I don't remember whaat I paid for it. Tell ya what mostly I use it to set up my sighting in targets!

I have a RX1250i and it meh. It works ok with a brand new battery, but glitches out once the battery is 50% or lower, and the cut function is crap. You never know if it’s giving the cut or LOS distance or some combo. It’s on my list to go away as funds are available.

Last time I was in the market (2016 I think) I looked at them all. Leica was the best but out of my price range. I narrowed it down between Leopold and Vortex. Vortex won and the warranty which I have never had to use is the best hands down.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back