Rangefinder recommendations?

JGJohnson

I am in the market for a rangefinder. It would be used primarily for rifle hunting and practice. I'm not currently in the archery game. I also don't do the long range thing but would like to be able to range out to 800 yards or so. If you have a model you prefer, let me know.

The big question is brand. I always default to Leupold products, yet their 2 year electronics warranty scares me just a little. I don't want to be left high and dry a few years later with this kind of cash outlay. This has me leaning towards Vortex as they have a much more comforting warranty.

Thoughts?

I love my Sig Kilo 2000, and you can often find them on sale. It’s been reliable past 1000 yards and it’s very fast up close at archery distances.

Ive had a old leupold rx1000 for at LEAST 7 years and its on its second battery and i use it every weekend all summer and fall, archery, golf, rifles, hunting, even brought it on a snow goose trip to verify the "well i think theyre this far" and it never misses a beat. My neighbors house is 960 yards away it tells me.
I know where my money is going on my next one.

just got a Nikon 4k. Have heard great things and in my limited testing it is pretty sweet. very fast and precise.

Nobody likes the questionable warranty care of Leica, but I like their lasers and continue to use them happily thus far. I don't baby it either, it pretty much lives in my cargo pocket all season. They and Sig will be in the running when I replace my current 1600. I've also never wished for less horsepower in a rangefinding optic. Quality is better than a big yardage number, but you want both if you have the budget.

Ya I have a vortex ranger 1300 I thought well if I buy the 1300 it will at least range out to 800 but it has picked up ranges out to 1400. I haven’t used it much on animals but it says deer sized targets out to 600. I bet most are really good nowadays I’ve had mine just two seasons heading into my third but I do use it for golf as well.

I have a vortex, no complaints so far I’ve ranged out to 900+ though typically I’m using it at between 200-600 yard range.

There is no substitute for the sheer quality of Leica. Combo of 10x noccers and mile and a half range rangefinder is tough to beat.

I'm another Leica fan- after buying "800's" from other brands that couldn't pick up a deer at 400, I switched to the "buy nice, or buy twice" mindset and got the Rangemaster 1600. I've ranged antelope at 1500+ for the sake of being able to, and hillsides at 1700 yards- past the promised ranging capabilities. The clarity is great in the glass, but the real breadwinner is the accuracy. I also like the pre-loaded ballistic tables that you can match more or less to your rifle to give you hold overs or MIL/MOA adjustments and that takes angle, temperature and barometric pressure into account. For my 7mm, which I have point-blank zeroed to be dead nuts at 270, the table I chose is within +/- 1/2 moa of my true ballistics all the way out to 800 yards- a great side feature I didn't plan for when purchasing the unit, but am very happy to have now! If you hunt the prairie at all, the Leica has, or at least when I bought, had, the smallest laser dispersion in the game, which means in the flat country you can pick up the animal much easier and not the grass/sage 50 yards in front or behind them.

Another vote for vortex. I actually got the vortex fury combo and have never looked back. High quality glass with a rangerfinder that has never failed me out to 1000 yards

The leupold models are great. Sig are good as well. Lots of new range binos hitting the market as well.

I have been doing countless hours of reading reviews and comparisons over the last month and basically its the leica 2800.com vs Sig Kilo ABS (2400 or 3000), everything else is 3rd in all categories from what I can tell (no offense to leupold or vortex owners they work great I have them but when you have to split hairs it is what it is). I am 99% sure I am going to purchase the leica 2800 for its better glass quality and ability to read more accurate distance through tight windows compared to the Sig. The sig does seem to have the edge in the ballistics app and blue tooth pairing but not by that much. Leica is also a few hundred dollars cheaper.

I bought a Bushnell GForce Arc 1300 I think it is...thing wont die.

Works fine for what I use it for. No complaints, I’ll upgrade if it ever sh*ts the bed.

I've had a Leupold rx1000 for 10 years. Probably only on the 2nd battery. Always worked fine

Another vote for the Sig Kilo. Been great for me in lots of different conditions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back