Rangefinder recommendations

have 2 1200 leicas and 2 1600 yard leicas, both trucks. the sxs and my pack has one, they always work the most valuable peice of gear i have besides the rifle, id rather be without my binos or spotting scope then my rangefinder,

for coyote hunting its all i carry, no binos,,,

Whatever you decide to get just make sure it works in fog and mist. In archery this season I missed a bull because my rangefinder wouldn't range through the fog/mist. I was using the vortex ranging binos for reference.
Fog and mist seem to be the nemesis of pretty much all rangefinders. I used a Vectronix rangefinder that did quite well in fog, but those don't fit in very many budgets. If anyone is still looking to get me a Christmas gift, I'll accept a Vectronix though.

Well, I went a little against the grain of the recommendations here and purchased the Maven RF-1

They have a demo program that allows you to try stuff out for 2 weeks. I figured I’d take advantage of that to either pick the Maven or check it off the list.

After a week I can confidently say “Wow, this thing kicks butt!” It blows the doors off my Sig, so I’ll definitely be keeping it.

It has some pretty unique features that I like, and it came in $100 less than the Leica. I’ve been geeking-out around the neighborhood ranging every structure, bush, rock, or deer I can find, and it has been flawless out to 1300 yards.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what happened to the skill of estimating range? It takes time and practice shooting at different distances, or sighting and hiking, etc, but isn't that better than a rangefinder? But this is coming from someone that sights at MPBR and just plays from there and closer, and who usually shoots with open sights. Just thinking aloud, and not meaning to hijack so ignore me...

David
NM

Estimating range is an important skill, but not easy for everyone. I like that people can accurately confirm that they need to get closer. Back to the OP, here’s another vote for the Leica 2400.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what happened to the skill of estimating range? It takes time and practice shooting at different distances, or sighting and hiking, etc, but isn't that better than a rangefinder? But this is coming from someone that sights at MPBR and just plays from there and closer, and who usually shoots with open sights. Just thinking aloud, and not meaning to hijack so ignore me...

David
NM
estimatimg range on a live animal I am going to shoot is not something I like to do hardly ever given ready availability and convenience of a range finder.

David
NM
When the goal is a quick efficient kill, it would be unethical to try and estimate the range.

Shooting past 300 yards is a game of numbers. It's like a math class. Not a philosophy class. If you want to do it in an older fashion way, you can calculate the range with your reticle. But a quick kill trumps the desire to estimate a range.

My kids and I have 3 Vortex Rangers and they have been absolutely perfect out to around 1300 yards. After that, it gets hard to hold them still enough.

I always want to make sure the shot of ethical and a clean shot but I tend to find a shooting lane or lanes and estimate the range then double check with the rangefinder making a mental note of what ranges are what. So it’s basically a fail safe for me. Especially with bow hunting.

You didn't mention what Kilo model you had. I bought a Kilo750 in 2016. It would range out to 500 on a good day. It was stolen and I replaced it with a Kilo1000. 930 is the farthest it has ranged. I'm very happy with it, given the low price.

My kids and I have 3 Vortex Rangers and they have been absolutely perfect out to around 1300 yards. After that, it gets hard to hold them still enough.
Which ones do you have? I've been eyeing up the diamondback 2000. Sounds like it should range animals to 1400 yards which is all I need!

I really like my Sig Sauer Kilo 3000BDX. Glass is pretty good for me and seems to range trees and rocks out past 1300 with ease.

That said, I'm lusting after the new 10k's or maybe even the Revic BR4 after too much Youtube convinced me I need to be shooting out past 1200 yards with my 6.5 manbun...

You didn't mention what Kilo model you had. I bought a Kilo750 in 2016. It would range out to 500 on a good day. It was stolen and I replaced it with a Kilo1000. 930 is the farthest it has ranged. I'm very happy with it, given the low price.
It was the 750.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back