Imagine that

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder if SFW has any rebuttal to this press release. It seems they have been doing some work behind the scenes to kill any wolf legislation that is not "Their legislation." I have received many emails from them stating that if it is not HR 509 or S.249, it is not a good wolf bill.

There are many wolf bills in Congress right now, and I will take anyone of them, even HR 509 or S.249. And any group that lobbies to kill the other wolf legislation, due it not being "their legislation" should be shown the door.

From this press release, it appears they took the liberty of claiming some much bigger groups (NRA, SCI, CSF) supported them in trying to defeat some of the other wolf legislation, that is not "their legislation." Even when those groups asked that their name be removed, SFW and Big Game Forever went ahead with it.

Any bets they will say it was an oversight?

Knowing a little bit of how these things works, and who are the real powers in DC, I would call this a public "beat down." I am sure the words exchanged would not be fit for public distribution.

I wondered how long these groups would allow their positions to be stated by SFW, before they would have to correct what was being said. I guess that question has been answered.

NRA, SCI, and CSF Disavow Misleading Press Release

Today the National Rifle Association, Safari Club International and the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation publicly disavowed a misleading press release distributed on Friday, March 11th to congressional offices and other outlets. The press release blatantly misrepresents the position of these organizations regarding legislation to delist gray wolves under the Endangered Species Act.

The draft release was circulated by an individual representing Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and Big Game Forever. The individual representing these two groups was immediately advised to remove the aforementioned organizations named in the release. Unfortunately, he did not, and the release was transmitted without correcting the inaccurate information.

The release in question claimed that the NRA, SCI and CSF along with the other organizations listed below are opposed to language relating to the delisting of gray wolves in spending legislation currently pending before the U.S. Congress. In fact, these organizations support that language, as well as every other measure that has been introduced in the U.S. House and Senate to date addressing this important issue.

Congressional offices and members of the media should exercise caution in accepting as fact, or repeating, any claims made by Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Big Game Forever or any person claiming to represent them. Due to the blatant misrepresentation contained in the press release circulated by these two groups, any claims they make in the future should be thoroughly investigated and independently confirmed.

NRA Federal Affairs
Jeff Freeman
Senior Federal Lobbyist
[email protected]
410 First Street S.E.
2nd Floor
Washington, D.C. 20003
tel: 202.651.2568
fax: 202.651.2577

I got this one today, they do know how to spin it.

Congratulations to Wyoming on BIG legal victory.
Big Game Forever Supporters,
A number of you have heard of the decision by the government not to appeal Judge Johnson's decision in support of Wyoming's wolf management plan. Congratulations to the people of the state of Wyoming and all of the attorneys who have been working on this litigation for the last several years.
A year ago, the experts told us the only solution was to change Wyoming’s plan, capitulate, wait for the next Wyoming plan to be challenged in the courts in a couple of years and continue to fight the Judge Malloy decision in the Ninth Circuit court of appeals in San Francisco – basically a BIG losing strategy for five years - all the while wolves would continue to destroy game herds of the West.

When no one else wanted to fight, and even told us, it couldn’t be done, SFW and Big Game Forever said, we will see if Congress will act. Now with 61 Co-sponsors in the house and senate we have shown restoring states rights is a viable possibility. In so doing we have put a lot of pressure on lots of people, in lots of places to do the right thing and get wolves delisted now.

So, another major victory in the wolf war. US Fish and Wildlife decided not to appeal Judge Johnson’s ruling, which validates Wyoming’s wolf plan. Deciding not to appeal represents a common sense approach in support of science and good public policy. This is not only a victory for Wyoming, but for every state. It is a definitive legal decision which shows that the Federal Government may not usurp state management decisions. A very hard fought victory in support of the sovereignty of state wildlife management.

Don Peay
Big Game Forever

tjones: Got the same email as you.

If something does pass on the wolves you won't be able to count how many people/organizations will try and take the credit.

There are a lot of "outdoorsmen" in the country. We also have a vast array of opinions, ways of looking at things, and ideas about reality (the last one scares the hell out of me). From what I have witnessed in the outdoors community in the past 10 or so years - the splinter groups of hunters/anglers, groups with agendas other than hunting and fishing, the increase in commercialization, the ever increasing use of the term "hunting industry" (that one pisses me off to no end - hunting is not a %$#@*%* industry) etc - when we look in the collective mirror we are looking at our own worst enemy....really sad. Man, I hope outdoorsmen learn to look at organizations and politicians with a more critical eye before signing on or voting for em. This BGF is exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm too simple minded, but if it ain't about the things that made the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation work so well, it ain't getting my attention.

Bigfin,

When are you posting that over on MM? Or do I have to be the bad guy?

Was kind of waiting for one of the MM guys who hate Hunt Talkers to pipe up and falsely speak out on behalf of all the other groups who have just disassociated themselves with SFW and BGF.

I know some of those MM guys have already read my post here and are now complaining about the liberal wolf huggers on Hunt Talk make false claims, blah, blah, blah. Hello guys, thanks for lurking!

Don't get me wrong, if SFW can get HR 509 and S.249 passed, I am going to be a happy guy. Just hate them trying to convince everyone that they speak for all of us and that when they do make the claim to speak for all of us, they are doing so to try kill any bills that are not their personal money makers. And by the looks of this press release, I am not the only person fed up with it.

I got called a liberal eco terrorist wolf lover,,,,go figure. :)

I"d take that as a compliment if somebody called me that. I usually get a few 4 letter word prefixes thrown out at me when the wolf topic pops up - guess I'm usually not very politically correct while voicing my opinion on the subject.

I am not quite certain what a "liberal eco terrorist wolf lover" is , but I have made my peace with it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back