Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I'm Truly Thankful for my Mountain Goat Tag, but Some People Make You Wonder

Cav1

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the congratulations and likes when I finally drew a Montana mountain goat tag after putting in for Special Tags out for about 26 years.

In the past (after that twinge of envy) I have always been genuinely happy for fellow Hunt-Talkers who managed to draw a Special Tag. I may have struck out, but at least I knew the person who had drawn the tag would appreciate and treasure it as much as I would and enjoy it for what it really is; a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Back in the day, when FWP made you pony up the full cost of the Special Tags ahead of time and then gave you a refund if you didn’t draw, I admit I found it rather inconvenient. Looking back now, I really appreciate the old system. It “culled the herd” so to speak, it weeded out the sick, lame, and lazy so that only true hunters who really wanted the hunt applied for the tags.

Now that the new system is nothing more than a $5 lottery scratch ticket it seems like everybody and his dog just say, “It’s only five bucks. What the hell…I’ll put in for moose, goat and sheep.” Yeah, FWP makes more money apparently, but I suspect a painfully large percentage of these precious tags now end being unappreciated at best to outright wasted at worst.

A few years back, an older guy my wife knew from the workplace had a daughter-in-law who drew one of the three precious moose tags for the district we live in. Knowing how much hunting my wife and I do, the guy from work apparently gave them our phone number.

Not knowing any of this, I answered the phone one night to have a near total stranger ask me where to take his wife out in our area to shoot a moose. This call occurred the night before season opener and, to that point, the entire extent of their "scouting" had been to dial my number.

I guess getting hit by all this out of the blue threw me off balance a bit since, as my wife pointed out later, my initial response was “less than tactful.” I don’t recall my exact words, but it went something like, “Holy bleep! If I had drawn that gosh-darned tag I would have been knocking on the door of every ranch house in the entire country every weekend for the past four months!”

After a minute, I did give them a few places to go where I remembered having frequently seen moose. And at least the tag wasn’t actually wasted. The gal was utterly thrilled and delighted when she got a young immature bull with antlers like ping pong paddles on the most heavily used Block Management Area in the district.

I just have to wonder how many people toss five bucks into the ol’ tag kitty without ever giving a thought to what the actual hunt will involve or require. I once ran into a woman in Livingston who drew a coveted tag for one of the limited bighorn sheep districts. Impressed, I asked how the hunt was. The response: “Oh, it snowed the week we planned to hunt, so we never actually went.”

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

So, rest assured I’m taking my tag very seriously and intend to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of this once-in-a-lifetime hunt. It’s never too early (in fact, it’s probably already too late) to try to get in shape to tackle the Beartooths, so I grabbed our dog Sax and took off early for a good hike today. We got in a good five miles up and down a 1,200 foot ridge. Well, that’s about what I did anyway. Sax is a Viszla not yet a year old and going by his “muzzle velocity” alone I’m thinking he logged more like 50 miles on the same trip.

On the way back, about a half a mile from the truck, we had to hunker down in the timber for a few minutes as pea-sized hail came down and then the rain got steadily harder for the rest of the trip. But that’s all part of preparing for the big hunt.

As they say in the Infantry, “If it ain’t raining, we ain’t training!”

I hope to be able to share some photos and a good goat story this fall. And the best of luck next time to everyone who came up dry this go-round.

Get after it!
Which unit did you draw? I might be able to provide some Intel. PM probably better.

train as hard as you can live for the moment. Hope you tag out but I’ve herd that meat is terrible.

Following if this is your response to getting the tag, I can’t wait to follow the scouting and the hunt itself. This should be epic!!

Best of luck! You deserve it. Yeah give us a unit number maybe we can help!!! Hint, take pictures when you are working out with the mutt. Pictures the you start scouting. Pictures during your hunt, around camp, scenery, beautiful sights, etc. Take lots of pictures with both your phone and a small digital camera . Did I say take lots of pictures. You can put then on a CD at the end of your hunt and have something amazing to look at. Take a LOT of the better pictures and have them printed for you someplace if you do not have a color printer in your home. You can get good quality photo print paper just about anyplace. Get a nice looking photo album, not some cheap flimsy one for your pictures. Put them in the order of your adventure and you will love later on pulling the album down from the shelf and showing friends and family, and just looking yourself. It's a pain to stop and take pictures all the time but man you will thank me later. Between the CD and the photo album I wager the album will be what you grab to sit down and look at with others every time.

Get some collapsable hiking poles. They are indispensable especially with a pack on your back. It really saves on your legs too to have your back, chest, and shoulder help propel you. The poles work really well coming down hill too. Get some.

Kahtoola micro-spikes: Love those things when it's wet and slippery and when there is snow on the ground. They really save you a lot of energy also from slipping all the time and sure keep you from taking falls. I am clumsy, the world champion, and they really are nice to have. Keep them in your pack.

Hillsound trail crampons: These are fantastic also and are really similar to the Kahtoola. I have the Kahtoola but I really think the Hillsound would be just as good. Both are very well made and provide a great amount of bite.

Oh you need to post pictures for us as you start scouting, when you are hunting, and when the season ends. We need pictures. What good is this site without pictures!! Kootenai Creek in the Bitterroots near St. Mary's peak on my goat hunt. I had an awesome fall!!

1589338445992.png

North Kootenai Lake 13.5 miles from the trailhead!!

1589338676962.png

My buddies goat from the Thompson Falls country.
1589392039515.png

Last edited:
Congrats on your tag!! I completely agree with you. I have drawn a goat tag as well this year. I put in for Alaska this year and didn’t draw. I have been fortunate enough to draw a moose tag as well. These tags should be once in a lifetime and not taken for Granted. Good luck and post lots of pics. I know I will!!

Congrats on your tag!! I completely agree with you. I have drawn a goat tag as well this year. I put in for Alaska this year and didn’t draw. I have been fortunate enough to draw a moose tag as well. These tags should be once in a lifetime and not taken for Granted. Good luck and post lots of pics. I know I will!!
Montana Tag MTlionchaser??? You guys are killing me here. Anything I can do to help let me know.

Congrats and you seem like a feller that really deserves that type of tag and won't take it for granted. Looking forward to reading about how it goes.

Thanks again everyone. This was going to be my first year doing the #500 unlimited bighorn sheep hunt so I went ahead and applied for goat in #329 and got lucky. Most likely accessing from the end of the Boulder River road. Geetar and I scouted into the Buffalo Creek drainage last July, but other than that it's been more than 20 years since I back-packed or hunted down in that country. Now I'm on the wrong side of 50 so I know I'll have to do everything I can to get in shape. I did the #300 unlimited sheep hunt the past two years but, to paraphrase Del Gue, compared to the Beartooths, "The Gallatins is foothills and Hyalite is for children to climb."

Can’t wait to see all the great pics that come out of this scouting and hunting adventure. Let’s bring an extra memory card this time. 😂 Congrats again on an awesome tag buddy. I’d say after 27 years you deserved it.

Thanks again everyone. This was going to be my first year doing the #500 unlimited bighorn sheep hunt so I went ahead and applied for goat in #329 and got lucky. Most likely accessing from the end of the Boulder River road. Geetar and I scouted into the Buffalo Creek drainage last July, but other than that it's been more than 20 years since I back-packed or hunted down in that country. Now I'm on the wrong side of 50 so I know I'll have to do everything I can to get in shape. I did the #300 unlimited sheep hunt the past two years but, to paraphrase Del Gue, compared to the Beartooths, "The Gallatins is foothills and Hyalite is for children to climb."
Should be a fun place to chase goats! Congrats! Looks like it's the year of the goat with all the goat tags being given out around here. :p

Can’t wait to see all the great pics that come out of this scouting and hunting adventure. Let’s bring an extra memory card this time. 😂 Congrats again on an awesome tag buddy. I’d say after 27 years you deserved it.

Geetar, I actually had a spare memory card in the camera case, but the one in the camera didn't implode until we were almost back to the truck.

I hear ya Cav1,

This year a guy drew the unit where I had a sheep hunt of a lifetime last year. A great sheep unit with near impossible to draw odds even with max bonus points...

and promptly wrote the following to me: “Sheep are an afterthought for me...if anything I will leave the big ones for other hunters...I am an elk hunter plain and simple and have lived here 15 years (note, within 10 miles of the sheep you can view from a road during spring/summer) and never went to other side of town to look at the sheep....I get bored easily so will need constant action or a quick kill”

So, yeah, it is initially hard to see amazing tags land in the lap of folks who could care less. But that is just a small sliver of the game we play with lottery odds tag draws...and in our quest to hunt and live as suits us.

Congrats on your goat hunt, look forward to the writeup. My Goat hunt this year in Colo is in a much easier hunt area so keeping up with the diet of Donettes in the training regimine.

Congrats on the tag! I sent you a pm.

Geetar, I actually had a spare memory card in the camera case, but the one in the camera didn't implode until we were almost back to the truck.
Oh yea I forgot that. That was a bummer because you had some awesome pics.

I agree with some others on this, don't worry what anyone else does, or doesn't do with their tags.

People hunt and apply for tags for a variety of reasons. Some have lots of time to spend hunting, some don't. I've known kids that drew tags they didn't even know the old man put them in for. A good friend put his wife in for moose and sheep in Montana and she drew both the first time she applied. Filled both tags, never hunted again after the sheep tag. Some people apply their whole lives, like a good friend of mine that passed away last fall did, and never do draw the tags they desire the most. It has nothing do with deserving a tag, its all just luck of the draw.

I also find it hard to believe that people, and there's a lot of them, worry about filling a sheep tag, goat tag, moose tag right quick so it doesn't interfere with tags like elk and deer they can hunt every single year. Doesn't make sense to me...but whatever.

Honestly, I long ago quit caring if people even hunt at all, and care even less what type of animal they shoot with quality tags, OTC tags, etc. Just doesn't matter at all and frankly, if they shoot a younger, smaller animal or none at all...that's not a bad thing. Nothing wrong with leaving animals alive, in particular the more rare ones.

Congrats on the tag!

6 years ago my then 13 y/o daughter drew a moose tag her first year applying. After 4 months of shoot,scout,shoot,scout repeat she shot a 45” bull on the 3rd day of the season. It’s not shocking how many hunters I tell that story to who are happy for her, what is shocking is the few who have expressed anger, maybe even hatred to the fact that a young girl drew such a tag after they had been applying 10,20,30 years and not. That experience with my daughter was nothing short of life changing for both of us. That said had that tag been mine I wouldn’t have been looking for the first “good” moose I came across, I would have spent the entire season finding the best moose in the district.

When a guy who clearly eats two Big Macs with extra mayo and smokes a pack a day tells me he is applying for a goat tag I would be lying if I said I don’t think to myself “huh!”.

MSG tags can be life changing for many outdoorsman, as fellow outdoorsman I don’t think it’s our place to judge how another hunter uses or doesn’t use their tag. It’s out of our control, the best we can do is inspire them by telling our stories, and hope that they do justice to the tags they draw. By their own measure, not ours.

Best of luck, hope you kill a monster, but more importantly I hope you make some great memories.

I drew that goat tag 21 years ago. It was a great hunt. Best of luck to you.

@Khunter, that guy sounds like a first class tool. I don't get excited about hunting sheep, so I don't put in. Not sure why he did either?

Back