Im moving!!!

grizzly5028

Well I just accepted a job in.... Westport Washington! i am very excited about it. I have been wanting to move out west for a long time and this sounds like a nice place. So now i got a ton of things running though my head because I move in two weeks. I currently live in Western PA (2,600 miles away!) so its going to be a long drive, but not being from the west I am kinda clueless about the area. Can anyone give me idea about the area I am going to be moving too in particular what the area is like and what the hunting is like? Im not looking to steal anyone's secret spot, I just would like to know what is around and if there are a good number of animals. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on the job. I don't know anything about the area, except that I think it rains there occasionally.

I can't be much help on the area but, congrats on your new job and your MOVE ! I've been wanting to head west for many years myself.

You overshot the 'west' by 800 or so miles:)

Sounds like a good move.

My first call s would be to a series of wildlife dept. folks to get oriented, right after having puchased the delorme atlas, forest service, and the 100K BLM maps for everything withing 100 or so miles from the new home.

Cool... Washington is a good state...spent 27 years there.... Dont abandon OYOA, but you have to get registered and hang on : http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php

That is a BUSY site and all Washington.... West Port is a neat place and you dont have to go far (like measured in inches ;0) ) to hunt elk, bear, deer... then of course, you got world class fishing right there!!! Go get registered and introduce yourself... Like any other site, just hang out and read and contribute... there is a LOT of info on there....

Congrats... keep us posted!

Thanks for the Info everyone! I will look into that site Horn Seeker and Oak I heard that it rains a little in WA :)

hey grizzly, welcome to sunny washington. having blue shy right now. but maybe snow next week. think i am about 2 hrs from where you are going. give me a shout when you get out here. you are getting out here in a good time, springer fish will be getting better by then, turkey season, summer stealhead. have a safe trip.

In the classic words of Jim Morrision, “Come to the west, we’ll do the rest”.

The good news is, now you can hunt elk and mule deer.
The other good news is, you don’t have to give up white tails, we got those too.

hey grizzly, welcome to sunny washington. having blue shy right now. but maybe snow next week. think i am about 2 hrs from where you are going. give me a shout when you get out here. you are getting out here in a good time, springer fish will be getting better by then, turkey season, summer stealhead. have a safe trip.

Thanks! I will def. get a hold of you when i get out there especially if you don't mind towing a newbie along with ya. I do make a good Sherpa though :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the move in the right direction... or is it left? Anyway that's a nice area I make it to the coast every year usually Oregon but I did end up in Ilwaco one time and had fun.

Pacific Flyway, long duck season with liberal limit, NICE!!!

And you can hunt on Sunday and have less restrictive gun laws unlike PA with all those goofey laws. My wife is from PA and it blows me away how restricted everything is back there.

Enjoy your new freedoms! :D

Congrats on the new job. You will find a lot of opportunities here for hunting, and being on the coast - great fishing. The weather is mild, but is often gray and wet, You can escape the wet by just going east of the cascade mountains. The only thing I don't like about deer and elk hunting is that you must choose your weapon. For example you can't hunt deer during archery, muzzle loader and modern firearm each year. You have to pick one.

Congrats and welcome to the Wet Coast, Horn Seeker has some good advice. The Washinton site was helpful when I moved here last year.

Grizzly, you're in luck. I live about 30 minutes south of Westport and this is the area I hunt. Wer have some good roosevelt elk hunting here and blacktail deer. lots of bear and if you like to fish plenty of that. I'll send you a pm and you can get a hold of me when you get out here and get settled in

Good luck Grizzly, like Khunter said- about 800 miles to far but alot closer than you were. We head to Westport quite often to go fishing, you should like it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back