Im bowing out

I could sell my 1970's built, minimally updated house sitting on 0.10 acres in the Denver area and make enough off the sale to buy a 4000 square foot house on 20+ acres in the southeast. Bought this house 5 years ago and it has appreciated +90% since then. It's just stupid.
Houses are much less expensive in rural areas in the southeast US and some of the rural midwest.

Sad when that almost looks reasonable.

Will be interesting to see what this duplex will sell for. There were 3 duplexes on this block listed at $250k the winter of 2017-2018. I know one savvy investor that bought one of those duplexes and sold it a year ago.

Interesting to watch, from a boomer I got mine seat. It was pure luck & hard work. Slip through a few cracks and bingo.
I bought at the wrong time everyone said. Wrong place. Shoulda stuck around 2 more years for the full 20+.
Got out of construction before that turned to a SS 35+ years ago.

No one wanted to live here 13 years ago. Not many do now. But from what I am seeing it's a zoo here.
The neighbor has split his place up he put together, to maximize $. Guy is filthy rich.
Was a bidding war with another new neighbor getting screwed recently. The new new neighbor is a cop.
I have to lock my gate ,when I'm home now. I guess they don't give address number reading classes with the realtor lic.

The good part is my place is worth a whole lot more than 10 yrs ago. There are 10 time's the elk numbers.
The bad part there is nothing like it ,for more.
I'm good.

Sad when that almost looks reasonable.

Will be interesting to see what this duplex will sell for. There were 3 duplexes on this block listed at $250k the winter of 2017-2018. I know one savvy investor that bought one of those duplexes and sold it a year ago.

Glad that I live in rural Iowa.

Houses are much less expensive in rural areas in the southeast US and some of the rural midwest.
It really is amazing that you can generally find very reasonable rural properties in the midwest and eastern part of the country for cheaper than the west now. In small towns all over there are really good deals to be had.

Check out this 3,500 sq ft house for $139K - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/92-W-Cayuga-St-Oswego-NY-13126/53759961_zpid/
Problem is that it will show no growth over the years of ownership.

When we finally had to move my parents out of their last home - in ND where they had lived for the last 30 years they made almost nothing beyond CPI and lost money if you included interest and maintenance. I was a nice single-family home near a good school in a nice neighborhood - but there was just no price movement in their town over those years. In contrast, my initial crappier starter home in a crappy neighborhood near a mediocre school in the twin cities netted me over double its purchase price in 4 years. That gain was a big help in starting a family.

When considering the govt. subsidized, leveraged investment value opportunity of homeownership, cheap housing in small towns is overrated (especially paired with income options in most small towns).

Glad that I live in rural Iowa.

We moved in 2017 and were fortunate to purchase some real estate. We came from small town/rural MN and prices seemed high but affordable when we first moved. But now its just crazy.

Northwest Iowa was on the short list of possible places to move since my in-laws live there... Glad we live in Idaho :D

I wasn't talking about myself or the clientele. I was referring to the house of cards holding up the world and US economy. Going to be a rough strech coming soon. Debt is not going to be your friend.
If you maintain employment and wages rise (as they typically due during inflationary times) fixed-rate debt against tangible assets that hold/grow value is actually a good thing. Even during economic downturns, the large majority of folks keep their jobs, and if they navigate it right end up better off in the long run. Of course, for the minority that loses employment in the downturn it can be bad. But we can't always live our lives assuming the worst case at every turn.

If you maintain employment and wages rise (as they typically due during inflationary times) fixed-rate debt against tangible assets that hold/grow value is actually a good thing. Even during economic downturns, the large majority of folks keep their jobs, and if they navigate it right end up better off in the long run. Of course, for the minority that loses employment in the downturn it can be bad. But we can't always live our lives assuming the worst case at every turn.
Be prepared or be blissfully ignorant. Choice is yours.

Be prepared or be blissfully ignorant. Choice is yours.
Debt fear is one of the most overplayed emotions when it comes to finances. I am not saying carrying 21% maxed out credit cards generated by too many $12 coffees is ok, but debt in pursuit of housing and solid not overly-speculative investments is not something to be feared if done well. In fact, if you show me a truly debt-free person or company I will show you a person/company that doesn't understand money and has left a lot of it on the table. Debt is a goldilocks question - it has to be just right. Too much is bad, too little is bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back