Im bowing out

Except that people who pay cash can't get under water on a mortgage and won't walk away from the property just because it loses value.
True, but it also sets the market and every idiot with a heloc takes out additional cash thinking they have extra equity. Plus I've had a couple of friends that have used companies that allow you to make an all cash bid, when in fact financing has already been agreed to behind the scenes. Just makes your bid stand out. My guess is the property will have a mortgage within days of closing.

True, but it also sets the market and every idiot with a heloc takes out additional cash thinking they have extra equity. Plus I've had a couple of friends that have used companies that allow you to make an all cash bid, when in fact financing has already been agreed to behind the scenes. Just makes your bid stand out. My guess is the property will have a mortgage within days of closing.
And what LTV will that mortgage have? 90%? 80%? 50%?

Those companies are not traditional banks I can guaranty you that. I won't begin to try and list the ways I disagree with that scenario. But I imagine the deal could go south really quick if the appraisal comes in low (which is definitely starting to happen I think). Your friends but be cash strong but just not strong enough to front enough to buy the house.

And even still, in many markets, it is STILL cheaper to pay that mortgage monthly than it is to rent. That's more true the more bedrooms you need. I have family back in south Florida struggling to find a 2-3 bedroom rental townhome for less than $3K/month.
In our section/ a lot of Boston it's the opposite, which has been a head scratcher for me.

In Denver, even with very little down say 5%, your mortgage payment on a 30 was around 1/2 to 2/3 of rent for the same size place in the exact same neighborhood.

I ran the math last week and our mortgage with 20% down in our neighborhood would be 1.6X our rent. My college roommate lives in beacon hill and over there it's 2X+

In our section/ a lot of Boston it's the opposite, which has been a head scratcher for me.

In Denver, even with very little down say 5%, your mortgage payment on a 30 was around 1/2 to 2/3 of rent for the same size place in the exact same neighborhood.

I ran the math last week and our mortgage with 20% down in our neighborhood would be 1.6X our rent. My college roommate lives in beacon hill and over there it's 2X+
Out of curiosity, what are property taxes like in your neighborhood and Beacon Hill? It's still kind of crazy to me that my mortgage payment (PITI) here in TN is roughly equal to my mortgage payment in FL despite my mortgage balance here being 60%+ higher and having a higher interest rate. It's directly due to the high insurance and taxes in FL.

Out of curiosity, what are property taxes like in your neighborhood and Beacon Hill? It's still kind of crazy to me that my mortgage payment (PITI) here in TN is roughly equal to my mortgage payment in FL despite my mortgage balance here being 60%+ higher and having a higher interest rate. It's directly due to the high insurance and taxes in FL.

In this market both of these would sell for over $800k

1651766772718.png

1651766350393.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1651766599422.png
1Bed-1Bath

1651766571017.png

Based upon? 2008 created a nightmare scenario for banks with foreclosures, short sales, auctions, etc. The REO situation was not a pleasant one from my experience.

Again, 2008 is a different beast than today and 2008 shaped many of the current lending policies because of how poorly things went. If not for the bail outs more than one bank would have lost a lot of many and/or potentially failed. I doubt they are hoping for a similar scenario.
I'm sure nobody is hoping for that at least I hope not. It just didnt seems like there was much help to keep people in those houses like you mentioned there is this time around.

Last few weeks a few houses that would have flown off the market sitting for a couple weeks and actually a few of them reducing asking prices. So maybe that's a small start.
Prices will react slowly due to anchoring bias. I.e., The person sees the neighbor's house down the street go for $X00k six months ago and thinks they can sell at that too because their house is just as good or better. They don't consider that mortgage rates doubled. It will take some time for everything to reset. Nice houses will still go fast and maybe at a premium because there are still a lot of buyers on the sidelines. But you can see small evidence of changes in the market.

Prices will react slowly due to anchoring bias. I.e., The person sees the neighbor's house down the street go for $X00k six months ago and thinks they can sell at that too because their house is just as good or better. They don't consider that mortgage rates doubled. It will take some time for everything to reset. Nice houses will still go fast and maybe at a premium because there are still a lot of buyers on the sidelines. But you can see small evidence of changes in the market.
Totally agree. Dealing with that right now with a private seller that is getting there parents place ready to sell. I approached him and they replied yah it appraised for 500k. It won't be up for sale for a few more months. I didn't want to be the guy to say yah you had it appraised in December when rates were sub 3 now were knocking on the door of 6%. I told them I'd do 425 but nope. So now they'll probably list it for 500 sit on it for a while get 430 to 450 and end up with 425 after the realtor fees. 🤷‍♂️ what are you gonna do. I agree nice houses will still go fast but I feel like slowly but surely the sellers who are stubborn because they won't dare take a penny less than there neighbor sold for during covid rates will help build back a little inventory.

Always been curious... population has been roughly 320-330 mil.

New tract builds on any set of land. Renovations on existing.
Who are these people moving into New tract homes - who fills the homes they sold to move?

Always been curious... population has been roughly 320-330 mil.

New tract builds on any set of land. Renovations on existing.
Who are these people moving into New tract homes - who fills the homes they sold to move?
Complicated question, so the answer is it depends. Maybe if the older home was closer to urban center, house was probably smaller so the buyer was getting starter home. The larger problem today is that older Americans stay in their homes longer. Today's "middle class" isn't as big as the middle class in 70's and 80's. So there is a demographic mismatch. An area can outrun or hide this mismatch for a while, but if school districts decline and house characteristics can't keep pace (tear down and rebuild) then the area becomes out of favor.

It will take some time for everything to reset.
Totally agree. Dealing with that right now with a private seller that is getting there parents place ready to sell. I approached him and they replied yah it appraised for 500k. It won't be up for sale for a few more months. I didn't want to be the guy to say yah you had it appraised in December when rates were sub 3 now were knocking on the door of 6%. I told them I'd do 425 but nope. So now they'll probably list it for 500 sit on it for a while get 430 to 450 and end up with 425 after the realtor fees. 🤷‍♂️ what are you gonna do. I agree nice houses will still go fast but I feel like slowly but surely the sellers who are stubborn because they won't dare take a penny less than there neighbor sold for during covid rates will help build back a little inventory.
Denver... 08' didn't have much of an effect on the market 🤷‍♂️
1652725345154.png

i keep wondering if there is going to be a flood of new construction sitting empty due to bailed buyers.

but, everyone still seems to be flush with cash and remain employed.... for now.

View attachment 222739

Provides a great opportunity for investment funds that are cash buyers and who want the rental income.

I sold my 1970 built home in 1976 in Adams County just below Thornton, CO for $29,000. Current owner has added a couple of small rooms and so out of curiosity I checked it's estimated value a few weeks ago....$465,000! Absolutely insane.
$29,000 invested in S&P500 index fund in 1976 (the first index fund coincidentally) would be worth over $4,000,000. A good reminder not to focus too much on paying off houses (provided you have a decent fixed-rate mortgage) - historically your money is worth more in the market.

$29,000 invested in S&P500 index fund in 1976 (the first index fund coincidentally) would be worth over $4,000,000. A good reminder not to focus too much on paying off houses (provided you have a decent fixed-rate mortgage) - historically your money is worth more in the market.
The math always makes it look great and I’m a nerd, wouldn’t argue with anyone going this route assuming the rest of your finances are in order. Paying off the house early isn’t solely a goal to achieve the highest return possible for me. It’s something my wife and I agreed to shoot for as more of a feeling for security in a world that seems more bat s*** crazy every day.

The scale of your chart is deceiving the drop. Denver market still fell considerably in GFC. The recent rise just makes the whole thing look minor.
Peak in Denver pre crisis was 06' it dropped ~10% to a low in 09'
From 2015 to 2022 it's doubled.
1YTD it's up 30%

So I guess we are arguing about what "considerably" means, I guess my point is "will Denver be affordable again?" Probably not... at least not for a while.

I can't imagine that if -10% is the 08' crash that we would dive 40 or 50% in the next couple of years? What do you think?

Back