Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Im bowing out

I know people that bought when the most recent housing bubble was overinflated. They lost. Right now the market is high across the board. It will not sustain, some areas will be impacted more than others. I think it is smart to wait unless you see yourself in your home for 10+ years.
08 you had subprime mortgages on massive adjustable and mortgage backed securities full of trash loans. Currently we have a massive deficit of inventory, and low interest rates different scenarios. Will prices steady yes and we’re seeing that but waiting a year to time the market is likely a losing proposition. As long as you don’t do something stupid like waive inspection or put extra money because the assessment came in too low or overpay for a house in the area you’ll win out. There are good deals and bad deals in all markets. If inflation continues to rise so will house prices. Not everything is ‘08, we tend to have a recency bias.

So your telling me that if I buy a house for 500k that was previously assessed at 375k my taxes aren't going up?
First off, it’s not likely that the tax value of your property will change simply because you bought it for more than the tax value. Valuation is a separate process that does look at what you paid for it, but also looks at broader market values in the area and numerous factors about your property. Your actual purchase price is a minor factor in the equation. Revaluation is typically done in batch, usually every 1-7 years depending on how automated they’ve made their process - the more automated, the more frequent.

So with changes in the “real” value of your property, your taxes could go up, go down, or stay the same. It really boils down to the relative appreciation of your property compared to other areas of the taxing jurisdiction. If tax value of your property goes up 50% at a revaluation, but the overall revaluation of the entire jurisdiction went up 75%, your taxes in theory would actually go down even though you had a 50% increase in value.

In many states, it’s codified in statute that revaluations must be revenue neutral for the overarching jurisdiction (let’s say a county). As such, they are required to reset the tax rate as part of the revaluation such that it produces the same amount of revenue. Thus, if assessed tax values are rising, then by law the tax rate would go down.

But… that doesn’t mean the jurisdiction won’t then further adjust the rate upward if they need more tax revenues to fund their budget. It just needs to be done as a separate process from the valuation of properties and establishing “fair” tax value of the properties. So in essence the system is designed not to provide an automatic windfall to the taxing jurisdiction when market values are rising. But my experience would say that it’s politically more palatable for those jurisdictions to increase their budgets (thus requiring upward adjustment of the tax rate) when “times are good”.

So, that’s a long winded way of saying “it depends”. 😆

Well apparently there are reports that the gov't is giving out crack pipes in the name of racial equity so we can head down that rabbit hole.

Or we could ask who's making or made all the money off the opioid crisis? And who's making all the money off Covid? And who controls the MSM narrative on these topics?

And raising rates won't fix the problem of people being paid to not produce anything, 40% of the money supply being added in the last couple years, more money chasing fewer goods, and gov't meddling in every industry, including housing. The current system is setup to punish savers. Reasonable interest rates may help with that a little, but the elites don't want you saving, they want you consuming their made in China crap, and borrowing money from them in perpetuity.

Well apparently there are reports that the gov't is giving out crack pipes in the name of racial equity so we can head down that rabbit hole.

Or we could ask who's making or made all the money off the opioid crisis? And who's making all the money off Covid? And who controls the MSM narrative on these topics?

And raising rates won't fix the problem of people being paid to not produce anything, 40% of the money supply being added in the last couple years, more money chasing fewer goods, and gov't meddling in every industry, including housing. The current system is setup to punish savers. Reasonable interest rates may help with that a little, but the elites don't want you saving, they want you consuming their made in China crap, and borrowing money from them in perpetuity.
What did they do? Clean out Hunters closet?

Not a race war. Arrogant elites vs. working class is more likely.
First of all, arrogance is a separate variable and is found well spread across the ranges of income and educational achievement.

Second, our national history can easily be told around repeated cycles of balancing economic interests in a largely capitalist system. It has not always been pretty but I like our odds of continuing to evolve rather than melt down.

First of all, arrogance is a separate variable and is found well spread across the ranges of income and educational achievement.

Second, our national history can easily be told around repeated cycles of balancing economic interests in a largely capitalist system. It has not always been pretty but I like our odds of continuing to evolve rather than melt down.
It's definitely evolving. Unfortunately for the arrogant elites, they are too arrogant to realize that everyone else has figured them out.

It's definitely evolving. Unfortunately for the arrogant elites, they are too arrogant to realize that everyone else has figured them out.
Resisting the urge to harken back to the playground days and say it takes one to know one, but I am too mature for that these days (or am I)? ;)

Kidding aside, klinging to prairie populism did my clan in ND no favors over the last 50 years. Time to update the thinking.

A lot to unpack, but here are a few thoughts. First, you have not been able to redeem dollars for gold at a bank since 1933. So, no one reading this thread who is less than 90 years old has ever lived under that system and no one under 105 has actually done this. Second, I can’t think of any significant war started in the last 200 yrs by failure to pay a monetary debt. And if they would go to war to take your land/resources (as certainly has been the case) they clearly could also take your gold. As an aside, the largest predictor of major wars in the last 1,000 years is rise in male/female population balance in 15-30 yo age group (w. And yeah I know you haven't been able to exchange bills for gold in a very long time. That wa
THE U.S., Kuwait and Saudi Arabia had financed Iraq as it battled the newly established Islamic Republic of Iran for eight years. After the war, Kuwait demanded that Saddam Hussein — known as a ruthless tyrant who had gassed his own people — pay back his war debt. Hussein refused and invaded the country instead.

The Iraqi leader was now a villain to his former allies that was 1990

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back