Im bowing out

Best I can tell from this post, history was not your strongest subject. Lots of book out there on the history on fiat money. Might be the best $15 you ever spend. At the end of the day, we have to live in the world as it works, not in the world we wish existed.
@Buckbrush has some unique theories, just like you do @SAJ-99 . I'll call it a push......

I know it’s basically saying it the same way but when you take those numbers and bracket them, it’s probably pretty well in line with reality; 100 HTalkers:

1 person makes 1m+ a yr,
4 people make 500k to 1m
5 people 200k to 500k &
10 people 100k to 200k
I’m in the top 10% of the bottom half, or down there with the other commoners

She’s a geologist he’s a dentist, together they make 400k.
My guess would be Daddy’s money. Second possibility would be one is a computer programmer making $75,000 but getting paid a bonus in options for the fintech startup, which private equity threw money at in the E,F, and G seeding rounds making the valuation of the firm like $1.8B, and the person’s options worth $800k. The bank used the options for collateral on the loan for all that stuff. But just a guess.

That’s the beauty of second and third ring suburbs - all the income, growth and amenities of the big city with 5% of the bullshit. While that picture does capture an actual moment in Minneapolis’ history, it would also serve as an apt metaphor for the meth and oxy savaging of rural America over the last 20 yrs.

There are great, hardworking people in every town/city in America. Total assholes in everyone too. There are pros and cons to big city vs suburb vs rural town vs outside all city limits. A wonderful thing about America is that most of us have the agency to pick what works best for our own families. I have no distaste for any of those choice and have lived in all 4 at one point or another. I don’t buy the elitist view of “fly over country” nor the rural view of “urban dumpster fires”. Life is more nuanced than that and there are many paths to happiness.

A lot to unpack, but here are a few thoughts. First, you have not been able to redeem dollars for gold at a bank since 1933. So, no one reading this thread who is less than 90 years old has ever lived under that system and no one under 105 has actually done this. Second, I can’t think of any significant war started in the last 200 yrs by failure to pay a monetary debt. And if they would go to war to take your land/resources (as certainly has been the case) they clearly could also take your gold. As an aside, the largest predictor of major wars in the last 1,000 years is rise in male/female population balance in 15-30 yo age group (watch out for China). Finally, every major war in the last 500 years has been debt financed, not gold financed.

I agree inflationary policies will come home to roost if not done right (and we lost our minds with that last fiscal stimulus bill), but the worst case outcome is a lot more likely to be 1970s under Carter than fiscal apocalypse like Argentina, Zimbabwe or 1930 Germany.
Thirdly, why does a shiny rock have any more intrinsic value than a piece of paper?

If hunting was illegal in MA Boston would still be waaaaay better than Denver.

Now a place like Rochester... not even close.

There are a lot of factors that influence where is a good spot for every individual, me included. Lots of good reasons for me to return to CO at some point... family, job...

but if your not in OG/tech/defense and you don't really really want to be able to ski all the time. I honestly don't know why you would live in Denver. If you legitimately like city things...I mean Chicago, or Houston... I really like Dallas. On the flip side if you really like outdoors stuff (that aren't mt specific) midwest hands down or the south, if you like mountain stuff, I'll say it New England. Vermont has more options for skiing + biking, and it's like it was in CO 20 years ago. Mom and pop areas, no lift lines. Nothing like the dumpster fire of CA or WA traffic.

Now maybe 20+ years ago, I get moving to CO/Denver, and if your in your late 40s-50s and you have assets and you want to stay I understand that as well.

But if your retiring, and you don't want to ski and bike in retirement or if your in your late 20s or 30s and want to start a family... and again mountains aren't really really important to you. Denver/ Colorado is not the place to be, why spend your life paying way to much for housing, and sitting in traffic all the time.

Just saying if I was 65 and didn’t ski, and had my CO house paid off I’d be looking at property in Arkansas.
There you go @wllm1313 giving up all the good honey holes on a public forum. Now they’re ruined. Just ruined I say! 😂

That’s the beauty of second and third ring suburbs - all the income, growth and amenities of the big city with 5% of the bullshit. While that picture does capture an actual moment in Minneapolis’ history, it would also serve as an apt metaphor for the meth and oxy savaging of rural America over the last 20 yrs.

There are great, hardworking people in every town/city in America. Total assholes in everyone too. There are pros and cons to big city vs suburb vs rural town vs outside all city limits. A wonderful thing about America is that most of us have the agency to pick what works best for our own families. I have no distaste for any of those choice and have lived in all 4 at one point or another. I don’t buy the elitist view of “fly over country” nor the rural view of “urban dumpster fires”. Life is more nuanced than that and there are many paths to happiness.
Serious question. When things get real bad, do you really think your "3rd ring" world will be safe from this?

Can you send me that rock sample to Iowa? Haha I'm sure geologists don't just look at rocks, but still a funny thought on them doing that work remote
Operational = basically watching gamma come in, real-time, then telling the drillers what to do. “We are coming up on a fault do this… you’re out of zone you need to ….”

Then there are a bunch of different types that are basically looking at where the oil is, using seismic and well logs to determine rock porosity, thickness of pay layers, faulting, etc etc

It’s all digital. Geology isn’t some person looking at rocks, it’s someone with 3 monitors looking at data all day.

Operational = basically watching gamma come in, real-time, then telling the drillers what to do. “We are coming up on a fault do this… you’re out of zone you need to ….”

Then there are a bunch of different types that are basically looking at where the oil is, using seismic and well logs to determine rock porosity, thickness of pay layers, faulting, etc etc

It’s all digital. Geology isn’t some person looking at rocks, it’s someone with 3 monitors looking at data all day.
So you're telling me Hollywood lied to me when they said geologists look at rocks all day? :eek::eek::eek:

To be honest, I thought what you described was actually a petroleum engineer's job? I briefly looked into it for a degree, decided against it lol

Until the tax assessor starts hiking taxes.
This isn’t how property taxes work. Property taxes are set using a top down process based on the county or municipal budget. Property valuations are simply an attempt to fairly distribute that overall amount to property owners based upon the most accurate assessment of each property’s true market value. So if property values are rising, it doesn’t mean your taxes will go up proportionally because tax rates are often lowered in these situations. That doesn’t mean that politicians might not view it as a more politically palatable way of raising revenue, but the overarching design of property tax is fair distribution of a set top level number vs. a floating top level number based on property values. I know that in many states, this is codified in statute. I spent a year of my life building computer models to automate the “fair valuation” part of it, so I do have some experience in this arena.

This isn’t how property taxes work. Property taxes are set using a top down process based on the county or municipal budget. Property valuations are simply an attempt to fairly distribute that overall amount to property owners based upon the most accurate assessment of each property’s true market value. So if property values are rising, it doesn’t mean your taxes will go up proportionally because tax rates are often lowered in these situations. That doesn’t mean that politicians might not view it as a more politically palatable way of raising revenue, but the overarching design of property tax is fair distribution of a set top level number vs. a floating top level number based on property values. I know that in many states, this is codified in statute. I spent a year of my life building computer models to automate the “fair valuation” part of it, so I do have some experience in this arena.
So your telling me that if I buy a house for 500k that was previously assessed at 375k my taxes aren't going up?

Serious question. When things get real bad, do you really think your "3rd ring" world will be safe from this?
At what point in our 200+ year history did things get “real bad” for white collar communities? Fair or not, the system is entirely set up for their advantage.

So you're telling me Hollywood lied to me when they said geologists look at rocks all day? :eek::eek::eek:

To be honest, I thought what you described was actually a petroleum engineer's job? I briefly looked into it for a degree, decided against it lol
Geophysics versus petroengineering

Our engineers take the work product from the geos and then apply it to the mechanics of the well itself… so ok given that “data” I think we should go with this well spacing and pump this much sand.

I think the larger point of this digression is there are a lot of jobs that are now fully remote that most people wouldn’t realize can be fully remote. It’s not “tech” most white collar jobs in general.

The shift in OG has happened since I started… better VPN, server tools, etc. A lot of databases now require the software be installed on the server so your remoting in from your office to a server.

Hell, MDs see a lot of their patient panel full remote these days. Which I think net net is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geophysics versus petroengineering

Our engineers take the work product from the geos and then apply it to the mechanics of the well itself… so ok given that “data” I think we should go with this well spacing and pump this much sand.

I think the larger point of this digression is there are a lot of jobs that are now fully remote that most people wouldn’t realize can be fully remote. It’s not “tech” most white collar jobs in general.
And now a discussion about home prices on a hunting forum has turned into predictions of a looming urban race war, fiat currency collapse pushing global war and a nuanced explanation of the difference between a petro-geologist and a petro-engineer. Who saw that coming? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back