Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I'm bored.

the nikster

In my spare time I cruise the inter web. I avoid sites my wife and church might find inappropriate. Facebook, hunttalk, AOF, MM and news take up some time. What other sites, hunting or not, are good wormholes to fall into? YouTube, I do that too.

There are some Iowa hunting sites you might find interesting. Iowa whitetails, Iowa sportsman, also Iowa waterfowler.

Well this is going to sound weird, but The Art of Manliness website and podcasts are interesting. I originally found them because the guy has a podcast and had a bunch about Teddy Roosevelt and WWII that I downloaded for Hunting Husband and I to listen to on a long road trip. There is a huge variety of stuff on there, none of it "questionable". He finds it pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Rokslide is a good hunting website.
Versatile Dogs if you want to discuss hunting dogs or get some info from some really knowledgeable guys about dogs.
Fan forums for your favorite college football team. I like Bobcatnation for what the good guys are up to, and sometime egriz if I want to know what the forces of evil are doing.
My brother used to work at a sporting goods store somewhere else. They were part of this online training website where the employees could go online and take trainings that allowed them to better sell the product. After they passed the trainings, they were able to buy products through the website from that manufacturer for a really good deal. He gave me his name and password so I could get on and learn more about some of these products myself by watching the videos. I enjoyed that a lot. Really getting an indepth look at some of these products. I used up that a lot for boredom.

I spend far too much time at gunsinternational.com drooling over their nice stuff.

I also do a lot of reading from specific e-magazines & news sources but it's mostly political or policy related stuff. Just looking at the webpage puts my wife to sleep. The Economist, Politco, Washington Post and New York TImes, as well as some certain features from the LA Times, Denver Post and a host of local & regional papers (Missoulian has some good outdoor stuff & HIgh Country News is excellent long-form journalism).

Outdoor Life & Field & Stream have good websites, especially the Open Country Blog at OL and The Conservationist blog at F&S. Stalking the Seam is another good blog, and I never pass up a chance to read Mouth Full of Feathers. Eat More Brook Trout is a good blog on fishing but they seem to post infrequently. Shooting Sportsman has good articles. Upland Journal has a good site, and an active board as well. If you are interested in fine firearms, check out doublegunshop.com

I'm trying to put the screen down more and more, as well. I don't read nearly enough books, and after this session is over, my goal is to read at least 1 every 2 weeks until the end of the year. I love reading about vintage firearms and the people who made them, especially British & German makers. The history of firearms development in the sporting world is a fun subject, with a lot of stuff online to get you started as well.

Last edited:
If I may suggest and if you haven't already, look up who your state and federal representatives are and how best to send them messages on topics that concern you. It seems most people don't have enough time to contact their representatives. If you are bored and looking for something to do you have an advantage.

I have an account at Feedly.com. It is an RSS aggregator (basically combines news and articles from various sites). That keeps me entertained at work or just surfing. I set up different groups on it (flyfishing, archery, conservation issues, biggame hunting, outdoorsman, etc). I probably have about 100 articles a day to sift through, I am always behind on what I want to read. There is an app for it as well for your phone.

Gunbroker is my favorite but it gets me in trouble at the bank.

As mentioned field and stream has a pretty good site but I prefer the magazines.

Big woods bucks is another one I like, it usually has some good articles by some of the members. Some of them are written by a fellow hunt talker.

Last edited:
I have an account at Feedly.com. It is an RSS aggregator (basically combines news and articles from various sites). That keeps me entertained at work or just surfing. I set up different groups on it (flyfishing, archery, conservation issues, biggame hunting, outdoorsman, etc). I probably have about 100 articles a day to sift through, I am always behind on what I want to read. There is an app for it as well for your phone.

Diddo, I use it to fill the gaps, works good on my phone when you're sitting around waiting for something/someone. Moldy Chum is a good fly-fishing related one that keeps me up to speed on that end of things.

I like a site called arrowheadology.com It is a forum site with people that collect arrowheads and other artifacts. I used to post on there a lot but I haven't for a few years. If you are in to looking at artifacts, and maybe learning about what past hunters used as tools of the trade, it is well worth the look.

Back