Illuminated Reticles in MT

TRS_Montana

Does anybody have any definitive knowledge on the legality of illuminated reticle scopes in MT?

I know that you can't have any artificially illuminated devices on your bow, and the regs on night vision are pretty obvious, but I can't find anything in the regs regarding illuminated reticle scopes on a firearm.

I see where it addresses projected artificial light ("It is illegal for anyone to take or attempt to take any game animal or game bird with the aid of projected artificial light."), but that sounds like you can't use a laser sight or spotlight and is not relevant in the discussion of illuminated reticles.

Thanks!

Key word is "projected", a true illuminated reticle does not project light outward from the scope. I believe this is what makes the Burris Eliminator scopes illegal for regulated game animals.

Legal. Just can't use items that project light. A reticle does not project any light, so you are good to go.

I had an illuminated scope. I did a fair amount of research and that was my conclusion.

Key word is "projected", a true illuminated reticle does not project light outward from the scope. I believe this is what makes the Burris Eliminator scopes illegal for regulated game animals.
How is the Eliminator illegal, but a lazer rangefinder not?

I had the same problem in Wyoming before they changed the regulations with some clarification.
Electronic sights were illegal, now they're legal as long as they don't project a beam of light to the target (animal). So, Illuminated reticle is legal, red dots & holographic sights are legal. Lasers are illegal. Pisses me off, I had an Bushnell (Eo-Tech) Holo-sight on my Ruger SRH took it off and sold it to a nephew...shortly after the G&F commission legalized them.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I had come to the same conclusion, but saw on a different forum that someone was saying that they are illegal in MT. I will call the MT FWP headquarters and verify, though.

Burris Eliminator in Calif.

I recently called the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife concerning the legality of using the Eliminator. They sent me a copy of Section 353, "Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game": "It is unlawful to use any device or devices which: (1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or (2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal." Also called Burris Optics to get their take....."the Eliminator DOES NOT cast a shadow onto an animal." Therefore, the Burris Eliminator is legal to use in California.

The Burris Eliminator is also legal in Montana. I asked one of the chief law enforcement guys with FWP about it a couple years ago and he used the same visible projection explanation.

The Burris Eliminator is also legal in Montana. I asked one of the chief law enforcement guys with FWP about it a couple years ago and he used the same visible projection explanation.

Hopefully it has been notified to all wardens. I have no desire to get one simply because of how bulky and heavy they are but a Warden from the eastern side of the state told me he would write tickets for anyone using one on game.

Hopefully it has been notified to all wardens. I have no desire to get one simply because of how bulky and heavy they are but a Warden from the eastern side of the state told me he would write tickets for anyone using one on game.

This was 2013 that I had the conversation with the guy, so how they are enforcing the law could have changed.

A guy at work today was gushing about the Eliminator scope today. The newest one I guess. I told him that if he put one on his rifle it would "eliminate" any confidence I had that he could actually shoot a rifle, or the understanding of how LR works. Hurt his feelings bad. mtmuley

It would, but you can't afford it.

Auto loan? Can they put a VIN on it?

Yeah, I would have to sell more than my non-vital organs to get one of those. On the plus side, if I could just find someone to wheel me out to my deck, I'm fairly certain all I would need to do is point any rifle with that scope mounted on it toward a mountain and pull the trigger to fill my elk tag each year if I read the description correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back