Yeti GOBOX Collection

I’ll pretend this was skill....

MITCHMO

I was fortunate enough to plan a 3 week hunting trip this year. We ended up elk hunting in Idaho and Montana, then stopping for mule deer on the way home. I was supposed to wait until thanksgiving but the elk hunting was tough and we already had full coolers. I convinced my brother to stop for a day on the way home as more of a scouting mission than anything. I never thought we had a chance to get a buck with one day of hunting.

we got up in the morning after a long drive the day before. Decided to head to the gas station for some pastry breakfast after being in the mountains for almost 3 weeks. Turns out, that need for a sweet treat was a good move. As an engineer, I am very structured and well planned when it comes to hunting. I’m not very impulsive. For some reason, I rolled the dice with random chance on that day after a guy walked up to me and asked what I was hunting for. I told him deer and he asked if I knew where I was going. I laughed and said no but had some thoughts. I have no idea why, but he promptly pulled out some maps and proceeded to give me recommendations and information faster than I could process it. He mentioned that he was headed that way and I asked if we could just follow? I couldn’t believe that I was throwing all my plans out the window to follow a guy I met in the gas station but off we went. After close to an hour of driving dirt roads, he stopped and got out to tell me that we shouldn’t go where he was taking us because there was cattle being run through there for a round up. So 15 minutes of rapid fire seemingly random yet strangely specific information came at us and we parted ways. After some considerable driving, we figure we were in the ball park of where he was recommending and saw and handful of mule deer off the dirt road. Being huntable we got out and spent a couple hours watching deer but no shooter bucks. Realizing we were still 15 miles from where he told us to go check out, we hopped in the truck and off we went. I still have no real idea where we were but we ended up on a high Mesa looking down into to barren low land that appeared to be void of all life. Being hot, I assumed any deer would be in the shaded draws and well hidden. We got motivated and decided to try and walk some draws over about 3-5 miles and see what we could push out. Much to my surprise, we saw about 10 deer but no shooters. We both concluded this spot was not where we wanted to be and headed towards the truck. Once back on high ground, I was walking the edge of a steep 100’ cliff(which we had walk by earlier about 500 yards in front of) and noticed a small doe bedded at the bottom. I thought it was really cool to be perched above her like a cat ready to pounce. I called my brother over and we both peeked over.
6EA1458A-8A35-48CD-9F01-53FCBB621117.jpeg
because we are basically idiots, we tried to spook her to stand up for a picture. She jumped up and after seeing us, took off. Knowing full well that any hunter that isn’t a dumb a&&, would immediately look for other deer when they see a bedded doe in November, my gun was still on my shoulder. Of course 50 yards into her run, up jumps the nicest mule deer I have ever had in front of me. Panic ensues, as he’s making tracks like he is headed for the moon. I get the gun on him, see that he has mass, plenty of points, and stickers. Two more jumps and he would be gone forever. I put a small lead on him and unleash a 280 AI aiming for right behind the ribs while quartering away. He disappears and I take off running to try and get in position for another shot. I see the doe but no buck. I sit at the ready for 10 minutes and he never appears. I sneak down Over the edge wondering if he was hiding and could t believe it when I saw a big antler sticking out of the grass. He had made it about 15’ and piled up. Hit exactly where I was aiming....imagine that. High fives ensued and after some pics, we were packing meat. I finally reached the top of the hill and saw our truck. However, not far off was another pickup somewhat hidden. I pulled up the binos and saw it was a game warden. I immediately assumed the worst and made my way over to his truck. Knowing we we’re on good ground and tag was good, I didn’t know what to think but I generally assume the worst and all but held my wrists out to be handcuffed. After talking with him, I was greatly relieved to find out he just wanted to check my license. Turned out to be one of the nicest wardens I have ever spoke with. After a 20 min conversation he headed off and I was back to being all smiles. I feel like I should post the proverbial “he’s not the biggest in the world” “I only had a day to hunt so he was all I could find” or not my best buck to date but he will do” but no, I won’t. He’s a tank and I was so happy I damn near cried. Had him in the truck at about 1:00pm and that ended our random stop for a day of hunting on our way home. I actually had my wife mail the tag after we had left just in case we stopped on the way home. That was a good call!
(Yes I had more orange on before the picture but I was dying of heat stroke and out of water. You guys are lucky I even had pants on)
1027D14E-14B7-4ADD-8B24-F0353943DC60.png
8D3CAD44-19A4-493F-9DD2-A17FB2136DF2.png

D72465CC-72F3-4467-96AA-E7B42B0786E7.jpeg

You had a great hunt this year. That buck is pegging the needle in “cool factor”.

I was fortunate enough to plan a 3 week hunting trip this year. We ended up elk hunting in Idaho and Montana, then stopping for mule deer on the way home. I was supposed to wait until thanksgiving but the elk hunting was tough and we already had full coolers. I convinced my brother to stop for a day on the way home as more of a scouting mission than anything. I never thought we had a chance to get a buck with one day of hunting.

we got up in the morning after a long drive the day before. Decided to head to the gas station for some pastry breakfast after being in the mountains for almost 3 weeks. Turns out, that need for a sweet treat was a good move. As an engineer, I am very structured and well planned when it comes to hunting. I’m not very impulsive. For some reason, I rolled the dice with random chance on that day after a guy walked up to me and asked what I was hunting for. I told him deer and he asked if I knew where I was going. I laughed and said no but had some thoughts. I have no idea why, but he promptly pulled out some maps and proceeded to give me recommendations and information faster than I could process it. He mentioned that he was headed that way and I asked if we could just follow? I couldn’t believe that I was throwing all my plans out the window to follow a guy I met in the gas station but off we went. After close to an hour of driving dirt roads, he stopped and got out to tell me that we shouldn’t go where he was taking us because there was cattle being run through there for a round up. So 15 minutes of rapid fire seemingly random yet strangely specific information came at us and we parted ways. After some considerable driving, we figure we were in the ball park of where he was recommending and saw and handful of mule deer off the dirt road. Being huntable we got out and spent a couple hours watching deer but no shooter bucks. Realizing we were still 15 miles from where he told us to go check out, we hopped in the truck and off we went. I still have no real idea where we were but we ended up on a high Mesa looking down into to barren low land that appeared to be void of all life. Being hot, I assumed any deer would be in the shaded draws and well hidden. We got motivated and decided to try and walk some draws over about 3-5 miles and see what we could push out. Much to my surprise, we saw about 10 deer but no shooters. We both concluded this spot was not where we wanted to be and headed towards the truck. Once back on high ground, I was walking the edge of a steep 100’ cliff(which we had walk by earlier about 500 yards in front of) and noticed a small doe bedded at the bottom. I thought it was really cool to be perched above her like a cat ready to pounce. I called my brother over and we both peeked over.
View attachment 161090
because we are basically idiots, we tried to spook her to stand up for a picture. She jumped up and after seeing us, took off. Knowing full well that any hunter that isn’t a dumb a&&, would immediately look for other deer when they see a bedded doe in November, my gun was still on my shoulder. Of course 50 yards into her run, up jumps the nicest mule deer I have ever had in front of me. Panic ensues, as he’s making tracks like he is headed for the moon. I get the gun on him, see that he has mass, plenty of points, and stickers. Two more jumps and he would be gone forever. I put a small lead on him and unleash a 280 AI aiming for right behind the ribs while quartering away. He disappears and I take off running to try and get in position for another shot. I see the doe but no buck. I sit at the ready for 10 minutes and he never appears. I sneak down Over the edge wondering if he was hiding and could t believe it when I saw a big antler sticking out of the grass. He had made it about 15’ and piled up. Hit exactly where I was aiming....imagine that. High fives ensued and after some pics, we were packing meat. I finally reached the top of the hill and saw our truck. However, not far off was another pickup somewhat hidden. I pulled up the binos and saw it was a game warden. I immediately assumed the worst and made my way over to his truck. Knowing we we’re on good ground and tag was good, I didn’t know what to think but I generally assume the worst and all but held my wrists out to be handcuffed. After talking with him, I was greatly relieved to find out he just wanted to check my license. Turned out to be one of the nicest wardens I have ever spoke with. After a 20 min conversation he headed off and I was back to being all smiles. I feel like I should post the proverbial “he’s not the biggest in the world” “I only had a day to hunt so he was all I could find” or not my best buck to date but he will do” but no, I won’t. He’s a tank and I was so happy I damn near cried. Had him in the truck at about 1:00pm and that ended our random stop for a day of hunting on our way home. I actually had my wife mail the tag after we had left just in case we stopped on the way home. That was a good call!
(Yes I had more orange on before the picture but I was dying of heat stroke and out of water. You guys are lucky I even had pants on)
View attachment 161092
View attachment 161091

View attachment 161093
Love gnarly bucks! The only one like that.

That’s a really cool story—and an awesome buck. I love hearing about the unprovoked generosity of others, especially now, when we’re all supposed to be killing each other.

What a freakin' BEAST! Congrats on the season, and very cool that you ran into someone as generous as the guy at the gas station.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back