If I were king of Colorado

Elk: Keep the same units in the OTC pool, but rotate OTC units every 3 years. All northern OTC units would be limited draw for three years, then the next three years move to the central OTC units, then the southern OTC units the next 3 years. Give them a break every once in a while. Won't happen because local economies depend on OTC hunters.

Deer: severely limit/eliminate doe harvest in units that have seen severe population decrease.

I would also consider switching 4th season from rifle to muzzleloader only.

Pronghorn: Get the d*mn state trust lands to open up some of the thousands of acres on the eastern plains.

Pronghorn: Get the d*mn state trust lands to open up some of the thousands of acres on the eastern plains.

Agree....

Deer: severely limit/eliminate doe harvest in units that have seen severe population decrease.

Meh I mean... for example, DM052... Muzzy: 85 tags, 2nd Rifle: 540 Tags, 4th rifle: 25 tags.
Of those 25 tags 4 go to land owner vouchers and 1 goes to youth... so 20 tags for average Joe hunter, there are no P4-R tags for that unit.

According to CPAW 8 bucks were killed in that DAU during 4th season versus 216 during 2nd season.... I think the impact of rifles during 4th season is pretty minimal.

Agree....

Meh I mean... for example, DM052... Muzzy: 85 tags, 2nd Rifle: 540 Tags, 4th rifle: 25 tags.
Of those 25 tags 4 go to land owner vouchers and 1 goes to youth... so 20 tags for average Joe hunter, there are no P4-R tags for that unit.

According to CPAW 8 bucks were killed in that DAU during 4th season versus 216 during 2nd season.... I think the impact of rifles during 4th season is pretty minimal.
Two things. One, I don't trust P&W data. Until they require actual harvest info, I don't trust their numbers. And two, my desire to switch 4th season to muzzy is more of a desire to reward muzzleloader hunters, not to decrease mortality of bucks in the 4th season.

Two things. One, I don't trust P&W data. Until they require actual harvest info, I don't trust their numbers. And two, my desire to switch 4th season to muzzy is more of a desire to reward muzzleloader hunters, not to decrease mortality of bucks in the 4th season.

I agree with both points...

Probably depends on the units though right? I mean in high alpine units, it's way easier to kill a buck with a muzzy in Sept than Nov. They might not even be in some units during 4th season.

Right, I thought that you were suggesting that there was youth preference when you lumped them in with LPP. It is actually a license that average (or exceptional) Joe can draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back