If I draw an 8 point antelope unit in Wyoming this year, will I ever draw that unit again in my lifetime?

thusby

I've been thinking about this year's upcoming Wyoming antelope draw. I've been chasing a semi-premium unit for about 3 years now and I believe I have a really good chance of drawing out on it this year. When my 8 points are gone and I am back at the bottom of the barrel it will take a very long time, if ever, for me to catch up to the preference point draw (+creep). I will probably have a 1 in 20-25ish chance of capturing it in the random, unless the pool gets larger.

I believe I have about 25 years left of good hunting in my bones. Is this really it or do you think demand will level out enough in the next 15 years that I may draw that same unit again?

I have 8 as well that I am thinking about burning this next year. I would say make the most of this one, and then shoot for units that have lower number of points to draw...and just enjoy more hunts. There is antelope in all the units.

Depends; add up the number of apps, tags, do some arithmetic and you'll have a decent idea. You can get the point only report and estimate how many might jump in from the sidelines too.

Creep has been killing us. We’re back up to 6, not on purpose. Have applied twice over that span expecting “sure things” from prior year draw odds.

This last year had 5 going in for a unit that has NEVER required more than 3.3. It jumped almost 3 points. Almost felt overqualified. Sorely mistaken! Then I look at some of the fancy trophy units in central WY that went down 2 points :(

Yes u can, I have done it, granted it coincided with the turn down in the economy, I drew a great unit with 7pts in the special draw which was damn near 100% according to hunters trailhead at the time, the fallowing year I put in for the same unit in the special and pulled a random tag. The odds are not good but they are not zero, and hey we all know the economy goes up and comes down, and the States especially western states felt they were immune to that swing and were burned. Good luck.

I think you’ll know a lot more a year or two after this economic expansion hits the skids. I think folks will be less willing to spend the money then.

They could also double the cost of preference points too. Which would really slow creep down.

And based on a few posts I’ve read, seems some folks weren’t aware you have to buy your points separately. Might help a little next year in the draw.

Wyoming antelope has gotten a huge amount of publicity on this and other websites. I doubt point creep will slow down anytime in the foreseeable future. I’m also sitting on 8 points but don’t have any plans to use them in the next few years. I suspect the list of units I could draw next year and the units I can draw in 5 years with 13 points will look pretty similar.

I would like to think in 25 years you’ll catch the unit at least one more time. Changes in tag numbers are another big factor that is impossible to predict. A few bad winters and your chance of drawing that tag again go way down.

I got 9 after this year..... the unit I want to draw only takes 6, trying to get enough to share with my daughter or wife.... I personally will keep getting points until I feel like burning them, it’s cheap at the moment, in 15 years it might not be.
Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back