PEAX Equipment

Idaho Resident Deer/Elk

SagebrushSlayer

I'm wondering if other Idaho residents notice when they draw a controlled hunt for deer or elk. I have noticed that if I put in for a controlled hunt and get drawn, it is because I am on an application with 1-3 other people. However, I have not drawn a tag if I put in solo. How many other people have noticed this as well? Anybody drawn by themselves and not with groups?

Another thing I am interested in is how many Idaho HT's put in for draws with odds in these ranges:

0-10% =
10-30% =
30%+ =

Would you rather put in for easier to draw tags vs OTC, once every 7-10 years, or strictly put in for the once in a lifetime type units?

The draw is random. You're speculating about party draws having a preference. My family draws solo tags every year.

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know your family draws solo tags. Do you all put in for the same units individually or different units?

Ok, so I know the draw is random and i don't think party apps have preference. But when you look at draw odds on IDFGs website, it breaks down resident/nonresident. Do the resident numbers they provide take into account the application numbers?

To explain what I mean, if a party of 4 resident hunters apply together, they pay 6.25 per applicant, however they only get one application number for that hunt. If there number is pulled, they each get a tag. So do the draw odds only factor in the number of resident paid apps, leaving out the actual number of applications applied for? Maybe I will pose this question to F&G.

agree with brian, its just how your luck has been. i try to put in for the easier controlled hunts but i still struggle to draw those.

Been drawn in two group hunts and two individual draws. I have never been drawn for a low percentage draw hunt(below 25%). I have alternated between low and high percentage of draw hunts.

Last edited:
The only two tags I've drawn in Idaho were the same year (2012)

0-10% Spring Bear (drew first year applying)
30%+ Bull Moose (Didn't find a good enough bull so I'm back in next year)

Have applied for low and high % deer and elk with no luck.

Never have drawn a controlled hunt tag where odds were below 100%. Talk about bad luck huh? That will change this year when I draw my sheep. :)

I have drawn more tags putting in by myself. I've done ok on elk got 2 deer tags and never drawn a non unlimited antelope tag in 23 years of trying.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been lucky enough to draw the same tag twice in the second drawing, but unfortunately didn't see a mature buck in both years that I drew it. The tag is favorable to draw on the first chance, but it seems like my Achilles heel when trying to find a mature animal.

I have thought of putting a unlimited as my second choice for the 2015 draw and buying a nonresident deer tag for my general OTC tag. It will all depend on how scouting one of those units goes this summer.

Is it true that you have to wait a year to put in for controlled hunts if you draw? So If you draw a controlled hunt in 2014 you cannot put in in 2015. Is this right? Is this species specific?

Is it true that you have to wait a year to put in for controlled hunts if you draw? So If you draw a controlled hunt in 2014 you cannot put in in 2015. Is this right? Is this species specific?

I believe it's antlered only for the wait, two years for trophy species if you turn your tag back in.

yes its a 1 year waiting period on the antlered species only for deer or elk. The only exception is if you want to put in for an unlimited controlled hunt the year after you draw an antlered only.

2 year wait between trophy species

Your party app question is interesting. The more party apps involved would lower the potential number of apps for the draw, increasing odds. However, over the course of the draw, the amount of tags drawn would be lower as party apps are drawn, lowering odds. I'm guessing over the long term, the draw odds would mean towards the average if you did divided the tags by the total number of individuals. I'm too lazy to do the math behind the question, but it is interesting.

Back