Idaho Moose/Sheep/Goat Draw Results Thread

I'll be interested to see what the odds were like this year.

I am starting to question the voluminous amount of hours I spend scheming and strategizing in hopes to increase my odds a bit with each drawing. This is my 18th time striking out on ID moose and never have I applied for a unit that had less than 10% draw odds. Play games of chance, expect the chances to be slim 😜.

When friends draw these kind of tags Mrs. Fin always says, "They were deserving of that tag." Which gives the implication that her husband, who applied and struck out, is not deserving.

Given the MT, UT and ID results of the last week, I better dig a bit deeper in the "Well of the Deserving" and hope that somewhere along the way I reach the point of "deserving." 'Cause right now, my level of "clean living" just ain't cuttin' it.

But, I am sure the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society is going to be calling to let me know I drew the Colorado Statewide Sheep Tag. Of that, I am deserving, whether Mrs. Fin agrees, or not.
Maybe your lack of luck is because your a Vikings fan. Come over to the dark side and your hunting / FB success will improve. I’m quite sure of it.B417AE75-088F-41D2-B8EC-E77B5592EA6E.jpeg

Well, I am disappointed I did not draw my sheep tag, again, but I sure do appreciate Idaho both in how they have no point system and how quickly they conduct the draw and get out the results.

Just checked odds for the moose unit I applied for, it’s gotten worse every year since 2015. I may have to rethink my strategies next year

Odds will continue to go down as more and more applicants put in. People get excited about no point system at first.

When friends draw these kind of tags Mrs. Fin always says, "They were deserving of that tag." Which gives the implication that her husband, who applied and struck out, is not deserving.
This statement cannot be true because somehow as the unluckiest person when it comes to gambling, raffles, etc. I was able to draw a 69-2 Tex Creek moose tag on only my second year of trying. I have not deserved this chance yet but I'm sure going to prove my worth and try to be!

By the way Mr. Big Fin, your wife might not think your deserving of the tag but I strongly feel you would be deserving of a moose backstrap after helping someone tag his moose and Mrs. Big Fin I bet would agree as it's hard to beat a fine moose steak!

As stated earlier in this thread, I didn't draw my sheep tag, but I just found out that my hunting buddy who applied with me just got an email from Idaho Fish and Game stating that he was drawn. Looks like I will be joining him on his once in a lifetime adventure. Both of us are pumped about this opportunity. Summer scouting trips and a busy fall are in the forecast!

Similar to other data this year, the application numbers are definitely up...I crunched a few general numbers comparing 2019 to 2020. Because Idaho is on a 2 year cycle, permit levels were identical for these two years.

Moose: Total apps were up 14.2% from 2019 (5,351 apps in 2019, 6,113 in 2020)
Sheep: Combined Rocky and California apps were up 4.6% from 2019 (3,497 in 2019, 3,658 in 2020)
Goat: Total apps were up 2.05% (925 in 2019, 944 in 2020)

For moose, both R and NR apps increased by ~14% from 2019.
For Sheep, Rocky Mountain Bighorn R and NR apps increased about the same from 2019 (~4.5%), but for California Sheep NR apps decreased ~4% and R apps increased 12.5% from 2019.
For goat, NR apps increased ~14%, R apps decreased by 1.3% from 2019.

One things becoming clear...not even a pandemic is slowing down the ever decreasing odds of western tags!!

I have put in for both deer and elk tags for the 17 years that I have lived in Idaho and never drew once. This year I figured if I was going to not draw a tag again, it might as well be something cool. Moose odds for residents are just as bad as elk odds so I put in for moose instead. Finally drew my first tag in Idaho, go figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back