Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Moose Hunt Success

idelkhntr

I've hunted 40 days since August 30th when the archery season started. In September I was chasing Elk and Moose and since the start of October I've been working on filling my Moose tag. At the nudging of a friend of mine I decided to take the whole day off yesterday instead of just going out after work.

There was a spot that I wanted to hunt that from the looks of it seemed like a good spot to get into a Moose. So I drove to the area and started hiking around. After a while I decided to make a big loop which should get me back to my pickup about dark. As I start to walk down the fence line that separated Forest Service from BLM ground, I look at a small group of trees in the sage brush and notice what looks like a bull Moose. I get out my binocs and sure enough it is.

At this time I’m about 600 yards away. I sneak in on him to about 100 yards where he is bedded down. I decide to wait him out, but don’t like my shot so I take a few steps closer to clear the taller sage brush and I step on a stick. He gets up and starts trotting off. I make a cow noise and he stops at 330 yards. I shoot and it hits him. He runs a ways and beds down. I put another shot in him and watch until he expires. I get up to him and realize just how big these animals are. I look at his rack and the first thing I notice is these huge daggers on his front.

I could have waited out longer in hopes of finding a larger bull, but I think my wife, kids, dog and boss will appreciate that my season is over. He is pretty unique and some of the tips were broke off from the battles he had been in. He even had a few scars on him from the fights. This Moose definitely has character. The bottom line is that I'm happy with him and the important part is I have a full freezer to feed my family over the next year.

Attachments

• moose2.jpg
    moose2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 728
Wow. That's a cool looking bull. You may have been able to find something bigger but I would bet nothing as unique. Congratulations on the successful moose hunt!

Congrats on a great bull, you'd have been crazy not to shoot him! I gotta admit I'm jealous of the chance you had to draw such a tough tag, to be in the field 40 days and get a great once-in-a-lifetime critter. Good job.

That thing looks like a water buffalo, awesome bull, congrats

I measured him up this morning when i had to submit my harvest report to IFG and he was 44.5" wide. Average in previous years for this unit was 35". I'm happy with it plus he's pretty cool looking. He'll look good hanging on the wall of our bar.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back