PEAX Equipment

Idaho man uses SOS on InReach

Apparently the scuttlebutt is he had cameras set up for his “rescue” for his YouTube channel. He has responded to the article with a video and posted on some forum about being mad about the article. I’ll see if I can find it.

That article might be the funniest thing I've read this week.

During this time, Idaho County Dispatch also kept in contact with Conti through messages with directions on how to get to the trailhead to meet the deputies and Dispatch continued to get responses from him stating “What are you talking about?”, “I feel like I should wait at this lake,” “I need someone to come get me at this lake, that’s why I called for a rescue.”

Here’s his response. I found the video but not sure I want to give him the clicks.

Ok where do I start with this!? First of all, I never gave my name or occupation to ICSO. They looked that up after and shared that without asking me. When you hit SOS on a Garmin you don’t know who it’s going to. You also don’t expect for a police department to share your personal information on Facebook that’s wild!? You are still a citizen and not a criminal. A police department is supposed to protect and serve. Sharing personal info like this opened me up to death threats and attack. How is that protecting? When I was told to go to the road, I immediately told them it would take me two days to get there which I was fine with. There’s 6 hours of daylight and you don’t want to get stuck on the side of a mountain in the dark. I did not advise I wanted a helicopter. I was told rescue could not get to me. In the situation you and dispatch are making the plan together on the fly. I suggested worse case a chopper might be able to land on the lake. I was told no and immediately dropped the subject. It was just an idea put forth. I was only carrying dehydrated meals and was out of fuel to rehydrate them. I.E out of food. They did not help me break down my camp I did that on my own. I did not walk 1/3 of a mile in the wrong direction. I was scouting the mountain side looking for the best route to climb out in the morning. I did say 5 feet of snow which was obviously hyperbole. I was saying the snow was super thick, waist deep in places which made climbing up very difficult. I hiked across the canyon from where I triggered the SOS up a drainage and across two lakes very close to the road. From there I could not make out a trail cuz the mountain was covered in snow. The best plan was for the rescue team to come down and lead me out, which is what we did and that was the best plan. At no point were the deputies in danger they only had to go a half mile from the road. I was even told by one “this was more fun than dealing with barking dogs.” I asked “what are you talking about” referring to a miscommunication on the name of the road. We had referred to it as Tom Beal and all of a sudden I was told forest road 362, which confused me and made me think I was heading to the wrong road. There were tons of texts back and forth, but whoever wrote this cherry picked the ones they wanted for some reason. I felt I was walking into disaster cuz dispatch was urging me to get up the mountain that day, when I had told them I needed an extra day. But they must have not wanted to wait and were pushing me past safety to get out that day. In the end I’m thankful for the help and am absolutely expecting a bill for service. I gave them my license and info at the end so they could send me the bill! They also said I was unfamiliar with the area, which I was to the extent of never being there before. But I did a ton of research and was very familiar with the area through maps. It was my suggestion I make for Tom Beal road. This was also not my first time in the bitterroots alone in winter. I’d done a similar trip last year and made it just fine. I guess don’t hit the SOS on your garmin when you’re in trouble? And why is it ok for the police department to post my information without my permission like this? You all have privacy concerns, maybe think about how crazy it is for them to post a private citizens full name, occupation, and rescue details without their permission.

Oh my kid would disagree with this. It has been his life goal for for a few years now. And then this notification popped up last week and I thought maybe I shouldn’t be critical of his aspirations. ;)

View attachment 253012
I figured someone would make this argument. My counter would be you can make money on it, sure. But it’s not a profession. It’s not my fault that the economic system rewards that shit, but do it if you can. I suspect the job is temporary, like most other jobs.

Reactions: Oak
I figured someone would make this argument. My counter would be you can make money on it, sure. But it’s not a profession. It’s not my fault that the economic system rewards that shit, but do it if you can. I suspect the job is temporary, like most other jobs.
If I was making millions doing it, I can damn sure guarantee it would be temporary. 😄 I think there are a couple of threads on here about content creators/influencers. I don’t think they are doing it solely for the thumbs up.

I'd say its one hell of a good profession if one has the drive and the balls to go for it. Nothing like being your own boss. I'd rather reward some amateur outdoor channel on YouTube instead of all the garbage producers on network television these days...The fella that got lost should definitely stick to the car camping videos!🤣

Back