Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho hates NRs.

I'd rather cut my nuts off then smash them with a sledge than live in IN. It literally says in my will that should my wife and I die before our kids are adults they cannot be moved to Indiana (where my SIL lives). There is more to life than politics and taxes.
I agree 100%! And you can throw China in there as well, no thanks. :rolleyes:

I’m from California and I’m moving to Idaho...no wait, I’m moving to Bozeman to become a famous insta-tube star.

I'd rather cut my nuts off then smash them with a sledge than live in IN. It literally says in my will that should my wife and I die before our kids are adults they cannot be moved to Indiana (where my SIL lives). There is more to life than politics and taxes.

You probably won't have to worry about this because your governor will beat you to it, and have your nuts roasting on an open fire in sanctuary city Seattle to be served up as free lunch for the homeless who run the city.

My corner of IN is not bad at all. We only moved here two years ago but are really happy so far. I guess I'm lucky because my favorite fish is walleye and I am in perfect proximity to hit all the spring walleye runs off the best Great Lakes tributaries, as well as coho & steelhead at different times. All as close as 20 minutes from home. Since I got lucky and bought an IL LL in 2006 I got great public land hunting options at resident rates in two states. So I keep myself pretty busy with that cash I keep in my pocket.

Dunes.jpg

Sorry to throw my Non resident Alien self into the conversation but I just wanted to clarify. Is the issue of crowding on OTC a separate one to the tags you must apply for and draw if one wanted to hunt elk or mule deer or whatever in say the muzzleloader season (think you call them limited hunts?).

My corner of IN is not bad at all. We only moved here two years ago but are really happy so far. I guess I'm lucky because my favorite fish is walleye and I am in perfect proximity to hit all the spring walleye runs off the best Great Lakes tributaries, as well as coho & steelhead at different times. All as close as 20 minutes from home. Since I got lucky and bought an IL LL in 2006 I got great public land hunting options at resident rates in two states. So I keep myself pretty busy with that cash I keep in my pocket.

View attachment 164828
1. Fair enough, I do hear there's decent fishing
2. As WA lifelong steelhead angler I can't stand people talking about great lake steelies... it's just not the same.
3. I can't live without mountains and wild country.

1. Fair enough, I do hear there's decent fishing
2. As WA lifelong steelhead angler I can't stand people talking about great lake steelies... it's just not the same.
3. I can't live without mountains and wild country.
We only joined the Illinois exodus a year and a half ago, bought an IN fixer upper house which I slaved at all that time. But it’s done now and I bought a small boat so I’m excited about exploring my new fishing options this spring with no work to distract me. I’ll start with coho at Trail Creek & St. Joe Rivers IN in March, then got a crappie lake to hit in IL April 1st, then it’s walleye back in the St. Joe River, Maumee River Toledo, Detroit River, Peshtigo & Menominee Rivers off Green Bay. Mostly walleye runs. Ends with an early June trip one week cabin reserved in ON, Canada. Will have four turkey tags mixed in with this. Nice part is I get all my travel expenses paid for these due to my job travels. I inspect buildings for repairs in 6 state Midwest area WI, MN, MI, IA, IL & MO. So even my Canada trip will be mostly covered.

I do get to see the mountains each fall since I got 20+ points in most western states and always draw something.

One thing I have not seen since moving here is a panhandler, nor a homeless person. Not sayin they’re not here. Just I’ve not seen any in my two years here. And our DA prosecutes criminals so the police do their jobs.

Last edited:
Sorry to throw my Non resident Alien self into the conversation but I just wanted to clarify. Is the issue of crowding on OTC a separate one to the tags you must apply for and draw if one wanted to hunt elk or mule deer or whatever in say the muzzleloader season (think you call them limited hunts?).
If I understand your question, the controlled hunt process has not changed. Apply for the draw, up to 10% go to NRs (and aliens).

The current rodeo is due to resident squeaky wheels complaining in general. Unfortunately, IDFG commission agreed with the complaints.

If I understand your question, the controlled hunt process has not changed. Apply for the draw, up to 10% go to NRs (and aliens).

The current rodeo is due to resident squeaky wheels complaining in general. Unfortunately, IDFG commission agreed with the complaints.
Since we live in Idaho and the F&G listened to the sportsman we are now complainers?
Matt

Since we live in Idaho and the F&G listened to the sportsman we are now complainers?
Matt
Yes. There is a whole lot of squeaky wheels out there touting conspiracy theories - especially the wolf crowd. They only remember what they perceive as how the past was versus reality. Everyone wants to improve their hunting experience at the sacrifice of others.

I hunted five Idaho units this year for various species. I only saw the perceived crowding problems by the groups driving the roads. With over 30 days big game hunting this year in Idaho in heavily hunted units (39!!!), I only saw people past a gate twice. NRs are just the current group to get sacrificed to improve someone else’s hunt. Various subsegments of residents will be next. I’ve already heard the rumors.

Reading through the thread, if non-resident hunter numbers haven't increased but the resident hunters have increased by 10, 20 or 30 thousand over the last decade or whatever the number is isn't that the issue with crowding? Why don't you restrict the number of animals a resident can take or increase the price of that in addition to increasing NR prices? More money and less pressure all round.

Reading through the thread, if non-resident hunter numbers haven't increased but the resident hunters have increased by 10, 20 or 30 thousand over the last decade or whatever the number is isn't that the issue with crowding? Why don't you restrict the number of animals a resident can take or increase the price of that in addition to increasing NR prices? More money and less pressure all round.
Probably because that would mean resident hunters would have to give something up they've gotten used to and take for granted. Such as being able to take multiple deer and elk.
As I said before, if resident hunters could only have 1 tag for deer and elk whether otc or limited quota and only hunt 1 specific season it would drastically reduce overcrowding.

I think it’s a two way street. Yes resident numbers are up but so are NRs. Claiming the quota number hasn’t changed in thirty years ignores the fact that it didn’t sell out most years unless a resident bought a second tag. The amount of NRs hunting has maxed out this last year for the first time in a long while. My buddy was upset he couldn’t buy his second deer tag for whitetails. He couldn’t remember the last time he couldn’t buy a second deer tag at a NR price.

Anyways, the next recession will solve this problem.

Probably because that would mean resident hunters would have to give something up they've gotten used to and take for granted. Such as being able to take multiple deer and elk.
As I said before, if resident hunters could only have 1 tag for deer and elk whether otc or limited quota and only hunt 1 specific season it would drastically reduce overcrowding.
So since WY and MT does the same, ID must be the bad guy lol
Matt

I don't expect anyone to be interested. Population in this small town has remained at 21,000 since 1950! Nothing fancy, country life but not too far from Chicago or South Bend. Wife is retired and I am semi-retired. And we have a condo in Sichuan, China paid off too. That makes for some exotic travel yearly.
So how are the NR alien hunting opportunities in Sichuan, China?

Last edited:
So how are the NR alien hunting opportunities in Sichuan, China?
Interesting my cousin in Chengdu actually shoots 5 bows including a Fred Bear recurve, and belongs to the Chengdu Archery Club. Some club members hunt wild hogs illegally in the mountains. Last year my cousin and his wife visited us and I took him on his first deer hunt. It was quite an experience.

I love visiting China each year. Most striking difference you can't miss is how fit the women are. 95% have great figures regardless of their age. Basically zero are "obese". Then I return home and it's................yikes! Back to reality. Like two different worlds.

Interesting my cousin in Chengdu actually shoots 5 bows including a Fred Bear recurve, and belongs to the Chengdu Archery Club. Some club members hunt wild hogs illegally in the mountains. Last year my cousin and his wife visited us and I took him on his first deer hunt. It was quite an experience.

I love visiting China each year. Most striking difference you can't miss is how fit the women are. 95% have great figures regardless of their age. Basically zero are "obese". Then I return home and it's................yikes! Back to reality. Like two different worlds.
Cornfed farm girls in Indiana ain’t quite the same as the China girls?

Cornfed farm girls in Indiana ain’t quite the same as the China girls?
Not just Indiana but the entire US. The southern states have a far higher obesity rate than the Midwest, but there’s certainly no shortage anywhere in the US.

Last edited:
Back