Idaho Guys, what say you?

HONDO

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2010/r...ish-and-game-refers-to-game-wardens-as-nazis/

Apparently Rex Rammell doesn't seem to understand how general season elk tags work in our state. I don't want to start a Rex Rammell bashing session ;). I'm really interested in your opinions on the statement he and one of the people who commented after the article make about the officers of Idaho Fish and Game being aggressive.

I ran into two officers this year. One on horseback when I was coming out from a high country muley hunt and another on the same hunt and day that Rammell was cited. Both of the officers I ran into were very professional. They asked good questions and checked my license and tags thoroughly.

The officer I met during the last day of the Tex Creek elk hunt went above and beyond. I had taken my cow at around 9:30 in the morning. After field dressing her my son and I drug her out 9 miles (with a snowmobile) to where I, and pretty much everybody else hunting the area had parked.

Just as we arrived with her in tow the Fish and Game officer pulled in. He came over and congratulated us, checked my license and tag, and then offered to help us load her. After we got her loaded he started a conversation with my son who is 11. He asked my son some great questions and made my son feel like a million bucks for helping me out with the hunt and getting an elk.

I disagree that as an agency the Idaho Fish and Game conservation officers are overly aggressive. I'm sure there are a few scattered about that can really be ignorant and "aggressive", but that's the nature of any law enforcement agency.

For someone like Rammell, who is in the public spotlight occasionally, to make such ignorant statements is very irresponsible.

I wouldn't turn my back on that jackazz. The guy gives me the creeps. But, he has money so will most likely get a slap on the wrist with a good attorney. Hope not though!

His (rammell's) head is numb, hence the term numbskull.
Our system IS a bit complicated but it has been around for several years. Any resident who hunts understands that they have chosen a single zone. A nonresident may have an arguement for ignorance but they would/should lose that one.
My time in law enforcement and construction safety compliance has proven a couple of facts to me.
Those who remain legal and in compliance are generally easy contacts with little or no complaint about our interaction.
Those outside the law or not compliant are regularly abusive, combative and judicially inclined (at least verbally).
I would be curious to find where/when his last couple of elk have been harvested compared to where his tags were valid...

If the guy was breaking the law, he deserves it.

But, there is a notorious game warden here in MT that goes beyond his "duty" as a law enforcement officer quite often when he meets a hunter. I think he enjoys making routine license checks a verbal rectal examination, even when he has no cause to.

Just like cops, most of them are good, pleasant people to deal with. A few of them are in it for a power trip.

That beetle guy down in the Bitteroot is a nazi wanna be officer. I sent him a skull to be cleaned with my tag attached as he requested. He begins to give a lecture on how it was not properly validated because some of "angled lines" or notches were still visible.:rolleyes: I had 95% of it cut out. He said he does lots of work for the FWP and that he just might turn me in for it.:eek: He said they would surely cite me. I couldn't believe it. I'm glad he isn't an officer and would hope that most officers weren't that way.
Like some said before most people react in a way that they are treated. You act like a hot head and more than likely you'll be greeted with the same attitude.

That beetle guy down in the Bitteroot is a nazi wanna be officer. I sent him a skull to be cleaned with my tag attached as he requested. He begins to give a lecture on how it was not properly validated because some of "angled lines" or notches were still visible.:rolleyes: I had 95% of it cut out. He said he does lots of work for the FWP and that he just might turn me in for it.:eek: He said they would surely cite me. I couldn't believe it. I'm glad he isn't an officer and would hope that most officers weren't that way.
Like some said before most people react in a way that they are treated. You act like a hot head and more than likely you'll be greeted with the same attitude.

You should have told him to go ahead and turn you in. There's no way they would cite you for that.

I would have enjoyed rubbing that one in his face.

Hahaha.
Headed down there this week to drop off some heads. The guy does good work for a reasonable price, but man is he ever bat shit crazy.

He swears up and down he goes in and watches a 600 pound black bear every spring. He won't shoot him though because the meat would all spoil before he could get it out. :rolleyes:

I offered to bring friends and watch him kill it and help him bring it out, of course no go.

The guy really is off his rocker though, just smile and nod if you ever deal with him again.

That's funny you mentioned the beetle guy. Get this one. A buddy of mine killed a nice bear and wanted to have it cleaned so it could be scored. He brought to this guy, told him it was a black bear and that it had been checked. So as soon as he leaves the beetle guy turns him in for shooting a griz. So my buddy had to go through a full out fwp rundown. I think that is bs. The bear will be # 5 in the mt bc book. I don't think I will use this guy again. He is a little trouble maker.

I'm not a fan of F&G. Mostly because there is NO lattitude. If you clip a tag wrong or do anything they make sure to ticket you. I have been harrassed at F&G stations by guys that seem like everyones a poacher and don't like it. I had to re-build a Deboned Elk once to prove I took all the meat out. Pull it all from sacks and show it on the tailgate. I had the Neck and Rib meat and everything. Durring that time they caled my wife unknown to me asking where I was and what I was doing. They called with a BLOCKED ID and she didn't know if it was really F&G or not. They "let me go" even though it didn't seem to them I took all the meat out and my wfe wouldn't say where I was. I get pissed eventhinkign about it......So my opinion of F&G is you are guilty untill you can argue and prove your not. Even then you feel like a criminal even if you're 100% above board.

That being said, they are just doing their job and you can't complain about hem trying to protect what they are hired to do......and this Rammell sounds like an A$$ clown. He sounds like he thinks he's even more above the law then F&G ;)

I have helped in Bitter brush/Sage planting and Fawn and Doe collaring with F&G and in those situations the officers are pretty kick "A".

lawnboy,

Never send your tag with the antlers or skulls...thats the violation, the tag has to stay with the meat. That idiot bug dude has always been a tool and I dont see how he stays in business.

lawnboy,

Never send your tag with the antlers or skulls...thats the violation, the tag has to stay with the meat. That idiot bug dude has always been a tool and I dont see how he stays in business.

He does really good work, and is the only one in the valley using beetles that I know of, and his prices are right.
Speaking for my friends and myself, we'd gladly go elsewhere if there was an option that didn't involve shipping/driving. I'm all ears if there is.

When I send skulls out, I send a copy of the tags and / or permits, never the actual tag.

Last edited:
Typical of MT guys to rape an Idaho thread. :)

Moosie,
I've had nothing but good experiences with the IDFG officers. I have to suspect that you have bad experiences because your good humor is perhaps misunderstood? ;)

Didn't you have a FG officer check under every goose decoy while you were hunting?

I did have an Officer look under a couple field shell decoys while goose hunting. I didn't think that was too bad on his part and they did pause before Approaching looking into the sky to make sure nothing was flying in. Another time we had some come into a duck blind area too and then ducks came in they tucked in the bushes until the ducks flew away which I thought was nice too. I try to chalk that up to them doing their job. When I'm in the field I expect to get checked and I expect them to realize I'm still hunting too. But a couple Check station experiences I've had still makes me a little upset.

Another time I had F&G come out to my house durring Turkey season too becasue I killed a turkey and some Tree huggin neighbor said (I'm jsut guessing on that one) said I had a Poached turkey. I had it in the freezer and gave him the tag which was in my truck. I had to talk my way out of a ticket because it wasn't on the turkey. I told him the regs say that the tag has to be wth the largest part of the animal/meat while in transit. An the Turkey was in the freezer in the final resting place.

I also don't like the "Where did you get that", then "so in Unit 39 what road were you on" and then drillnig further. I'm like, "You're fish and Game, you know where the dam Turkeys are, don't worry about my hunting spots D|ckhead".

YAh, they don't get my Humor I guess. It's just like when I go through airport customs and I am asked "do you have any firearms with you?" I learned not to reply "why, what do you need?"

I'm not a fan of F&G. Mostly because there is NO lattitude.

Law enforcement and lattitude bear on the officer getting thumped because discretion was used versus the "letter of the law" most law enforcement personnel tend to be very conservative with respect to discretion... as it is their livelyhood... wife, children, etc... - just to help some joe s/he does not know... only to have it bite him/her in the arse...

Not to say I have any experience in "lattitude / discretion..." (even a disclaimer is necessary for such a post... that is the flocked part of it...) IA / ACLU LOVES to tie an officer's discretion to anything other than the best interests at the time...

Don't mean to jack the thread - meh - give a little lattitude would ya? :)

Last edited:
Haha! evil... moosie... :D

Hondo said:
I disagree that as an agency the Idaho Fish and Game conservation officers are overly aggressive. I'm sure there are a few scattered about that can really be ignorant and "aggressive", but that's the nature of any law enforcement agency.

Always a few bad apples - unfortunately some like to chop the whole tree down versus take care of business and purge the bad ones. I agree with ya, Hondo.

I actually haven't had any bad experiences with IDFG,and I've been with a couple of people who could have been ticketed, both were given a chance to correct the violation. I did see an interview with Rammell last monday, and his comment about how our Idaho zones work with regard to elk tags makes me certain he never read the regulations. Ignorance is no excuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back