Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Forum Members Sound Off!!!!

Transplant that calls Boise home. I seem to spend my hunting time close to home, and there are more birds on the snake than most other places.

Not sure '1948, I will explain. If you are looking at the top area of the hunt talk section, there is a tab for community, select it and a drop box will appear in which you can select groups. Click on groups and a list of various groups will load on a new page. There are only three community groups right now so its real easy to spot the Idaho group. If anyone has detailed info on the Idaho Deer Alliance banquet on March 30th, please post something about it! hoping to buy my tickets this next week.

I found the group but I can't figure out how to join or post using my phone. Feel free to add the Wood River RMEF 25 th anniversary banquet on April 13. Directions and tickets are available on the RMEF web site. I will probably put up some more info as it gets closer.

6speed, select the idaho group and at the bottom of the page there is an option that specifies "join group." once you join, feel free to post about the RMEF dinner.

I work so much in Idaho I feel like I belong there to some degree. Only problem is that I almost never have entire days free to explore, shed hunt, etc!!
I love the people and I love the country. I WILL BE HUNTING IDAHO NEXT YEAR!!!

Spend as much time as I can up at my folks place in Lenore. Beautiful, beautiful country!

Born in Moscow and raised just south of CDA. Spent nine years between Idaho Falls and Twin Falls before I escaped and moved back to the family farm on Mica Flats. Loved spending time at the head of the Little Lost and Pahsimeroi valleys and anywhere in the Lemhi.

hi guys I live in Idaho falls I hunt units 63, 64,65, 66, 67, 69, mostly. also hunted little lost river and big lost. pass creek, sawmill canyon down to Howle . want to hunt 29a Gilmore to salmon for goats. Fj40mojo have any help if I can draw? but my main area is 66

Wow! Sawmill Canyon brings back a LOT of memories staying in some of the sheep camps, fishing the beaver ponds and hunting from all of the canyons above Howe.

hi guys I live in Idaho falls I hunt units 63, 64,65, 66, 67, 69, mostly. also hunted little lost river and big lost. pass creek, sawmill canyon down to Howle . want to hunt 29a Gilmore to salmon for goats. Fj40mojo have any help if I can draw? but my main area is 66

Gage Brock, I born and raised here in Boise with one small move out to Kuna. I hunt wherever I can or am lucky enough to get a tag from.

Stalker, Click on Community, then Social Groups. There is group set up for Idaho hunters. Good place to post meetings, Idaho news or just regular social functions.

I moved to SE Idaho 10 years ago for grad school and haven't found a reason to leave. I have moved out of the big city (of Pocatello) to the village of Arimo with fresh air and lots of open space. I landed a job with IDFG in 2006. Even though it is often a difficult and thankless occupation, I enjoy working to make hunting better for everyone that comes to this neck of the woods. The job is a lot of driving and dealing with people, and when I do see monster bucks or bulls at work they are usually in the back of someone else's truck or on winter range which could be 50 miles away from their hideouts during hunting season. I save up vacation, sick leave, and comp time for hunting season and I usually manage to spend about 20 nights in a tent or under the stars during September and October. Probably the best thing I have going is that my wife always lets me go hunting. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I tend to hunt a place until I know it well. Then I move on. People may think I'm crazy to discover a honey hole, only to leave it behind, but what I really hunt for is the adventure. In the past few years I've notched tags in units 68 (73 5/8" archery antelope), 69 (5x5 mule deer), 71 (cow moose), 73 (4x4 mule deer, and an old heavy 5x6 mule deer), 75 (cow elk), and 76 (culled a mature 2x2 mule deer). I probably spent an average of 10 days hunting and 10 passed shots for each of the animals I've killed. The main hunt that I'm scouting, mapping, and planning for next year is somewhere that I admire as I drive past every week or two, but I've never laced up the boots and made the climb up to where I think the big boys hang out. It will take some effort to get in, but I don't think I'll have much competition. If I do get something, I can probably strap the head to my pack and let the body roll down, down, down to the truck (I say that to give you a mental image of the place, but know that good meat is precious and I will pack it out before I bring the horns). That's the kind of place I like to hunt.

I'm not entirely out of new places to hunt in SE Idaho, but I am beginning to think further afield. I've done some drop camps in the Frank Church wilderness and plan to do a few more. My short list for the coming decade also includes an adventure to Alaska looking for a moose.
Other hunts that I am working on, but fate will decide when the time is right:
I am putting in for Idaho bull moose.
Once the Idaho moose is done, then I will start putting in for mountain goat.
If I'm not too old after drawing both moose and goat, then I'll consider sheep.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back