Idaho Dream Season.

Firedude

Every had a buddy call and say he hit the lottery but has no clue where to start spending. Just bought a ticket because and won.

Well... if you could hunt anywhere in an open season for Antelope, Deer, Elk, AND MOOSE where would you even start looking? I told him to get in contact with Boone and Crockett and start digging.

We've lived here are whole life and no zero about the best places and most coveted tags. We know good places but not those produce monsters areas. He's a meat first and antler second guy who just got a golden ticket and is in shock. He's now got a few months to plan the best season of his life. He drew the 4 species super tag.

P.M. is ok if you have advice and don't mind helping a guy out who hit a .0004 chance!

Last edited:
Wow. I’d get a couple of new credit cards for the gas bill. Ring it up and pay it off later.
My taxidermist said that 4 tag is a curse in disguise. One he'd be happy to have! It's to easy to get yourself to thin trying to Boone and Crockett all the tags. He suggested focus on a good antelope then decide which other 2 you where going to focus on and by chance shoot the last if a good one walks by. Sounds terrible but I see his Point.

Man, that is nuts. Unless I didn’t have to work and had no other obligations, that would be too much!

Personally I’d be going all-out on the deer and elk tags (particularly the deer tag) so would probably be spending most of the season down in the southwest of the state…

Congratulations to your buddy, I think.

I’d probably figure out which hunts have the most appeal based on unique opportunities. For me, I think pronghorn would rank four on the list of priorities.
He's actually going to go after antelope first. The rifle season opens and closes pretty early compared to the others. I'd get it done then there's no hurry to get back to it.
Man, that is nuts. Unless I didn’t have to work and had no other obligations, that would be too much!

Personally I’d be going all-out on the deer and elk tags (particularly the deer tag) so would probably be spending most of the season down in the southwest of the state…

Congratulations to your buddy, I think.
Right... it's like getting a phone call saying, "You've got dates with Salma Hayek, Charleze Theron, Margot Robbie, and Kate Beckinsale in 2 months..." I mean you're GOING TO FIGURE IT OUT. But any advice is coveted!

He's actually going to go after antelope first. The rifle season opens and closes pretty early compared to the others. I'd get it done then there's no hurry to get back to it.

Right... it's like getting a phone call saying, "You've got dates with Salma Hayek, Charleze Theron, Margot Robbie, and Kate Beckinsale in 2 months..." I mean you're GOING TO FIGURE IT OUT. But any advice is coveted!
Nope. After Salma I wouldn't have anything left for the others! 😉

Should be rifle elk and then moose hunting when antelope season opens...

Seems pretty straightforward to me: dedicate the whole month of September to elk, October for moose, November for deer. Maybe throw in a few days in August and December for antelope and you’re good!
Just as long as you’ve got no friends/family/work commitments for ~4 months

Seems pretty straightforward to me: dedicate the whole month of September to elk, October for moose, November for deer. Maybe throw in a few days in August and December for antelope and you’re good!
I don’t think the super hunt tags are an extended season anywhere in the state tag like some Governor’s tags. I think you can hunt any open hunt - controlled or general.

The unit he's looked at for Antelope opens Sept 25 for rifle.

Yep, and some rifle elk hunts open in Sept. And then he can moose hunt first week of Oct. Look for pronghorn after those tags are filled.
Example:

Yep, and some rifle elk hunts open in Sept. And then he can moose hunt first week of Oct. Look for pronghorn after those tags are filled.
Example:
I stand corrected! Thanks for the save! Every elk hint we've been eying is an early Oct. Open.

Certainly don’t wait until December for antelope…zero booners available then.

Otherwise, I like your schedule.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back