Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Bull

RidgeRebel

I wanted to report back after my hunt. Thanks to those on here that were so generous with their information and experiences. I started two days prior to the opener in 66A, but found a lot of traffic at the few access points. The evening before the hunt, I drove south to 76 where I found a lot of people but also a lot of elk. Opening morning I was looking at about 100 elk between three groups including a dozen or so bulls, one really nice bull. Unfortunately they were headed up hill as they fed and we could not get the range finder to work in low light and we struggled to keep track of which bull was which. We ended up chasing the elk up the mountain but could not make it happen. That evening we were looking over a hillside where we say elk the previous day. With about an hour and a half till dark there were only a group of cows and spikes on the hill, but we kept hearing a bugle on the other side of the hill. about an hour later, a string of cows came out with the bull I took bugling as he followed. I decided I did not want to pass on this bull even though I had seen one bigger. I had a great time and got my biggest bull to date!

ID bull 21 2.jpg
ID bull 21.jpg

Good job and congratulations. You did the exact opposite of me and my son. We started in 76 and ended up in 66a with better results.

I wanted to report back after my hunt. Thanks to those on here that were so generous with their information and experiences. I started two days prior to the opener in 66A, but found a lot of traffic at the few access points. The evening before the hunt, I drove south to 76 where I found a lot of people but also a lot of elk. Opening morning I was looking at about 100 elk between three groups including a dozen or so bulls, one really nice bull. Unfortunately they were headed up hill as they fed and we could not get the range finder to work in low light and we struggled to keep track of which bull was which. We ended up chasing the elk up the mountain but could not make it happen. That evening we were looking over a hillside where we say elk the previous day. With about an hour and a half till dark there were only a group of cows and spikes on the hill, but we kept hearing a bugle on the other side of the hill. about an hour later, a string of cows came out with the bull I took bugling as he followed. I decided I did not want to pass on this bull even though I had seen one bigger. I had a great time and got my biggest bull to date!

View attachment 198578
View attachment 198579
Congrats! I’m in unit 76 hunting deer right now… have a Tex Creek tag that I’m probably gonna bail on. I have my 8 year old with me, and worry about griz around island park with him.

How did you use a elk tag in 66 and 76?

Good job and congratulations. You did the exact opposite of me and my son. We started in 76 and ended up in 66a with better results.
Same question as what i just asked the OP? We’re supposed to head up to 66 tomorrow.

Congrats! I’m in unit 76 hunting deer right now… have a Tex Creek tag that I’m probably gonna bail on. I have my 8 year old with me, and worry about griz around island park with him.

How did you use a elk tag in 66 and 76?
The tag I drew is 66A-1 which includes both 66A and 76.
From the webpage:
Hunt Area 66A-1 — All of Units 66A and 76

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back