PEAX Equipment

Idaho anti-wolf wackos

BuzzH

Looks like Ron Gillette and crew are keeping up their lies, distortion, and total BS wolf hysteria...

So ridiculous its laughable...

Wolf foes howl at state managers

Emotions run high during Fish and Game meeting in Hailey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By STEVE BENSON
Express Staff Writer

Steve Nadeau

Sheep, elk and dog carcasses, bones, skulls and wolf tracks the size of a human head—that's what two Croy Canyon residents claim is scattered around their property six miles west of Hailey.

"Our dogs were bitten by wolves at three o'clock in the afternoon," said Jennifer Swigert, who lives with her husband Kevin, a fifth generation Idahoan, in a remote area of Croy Canyon. "I love animals, I always have, but this is insane—people are at a total risk of getting fanged up."

The Swigerts, who attended a wolf management meeting Wednesday night with Idaho Fish and Game officials in Hailey, claim wolf numbers are growing in Croy Canyon and the animals are becoming increasingly aggressive towards dogs, horses, and humans.

"The behavior of these animals is not what it's made to be," Kevin Swigert said. "They are not the benign, wonderful animals people like to think they are.

"They are gigantic, very aggressive animals."

Kevin said he and Jennifer lived in Stanley in the early 1990s—prior to the 1995 reintroduction of 15 wolves in central Idaho—and frequently heard and saw what they referred to as "true" native wolves.

"When we lived in Stanley, we thought it was the coolest thing in the world," Kevin said. "They were part of the ecosystem. But (their reintroduction) is a fiasco, a horrendous fiasco."

The Swigerts, who were part of a sizable anti-wolf presence at the meeting, complained that Fish and Game officials aren't telling the public the truth about the dangers of wolves. They believe someone is going to get hurt or killed if the wolves aren't removed.

An equal number of wolf supporters were also present at the meeting, which drew about 50 people.

The Swigerts complained that elk populations have also dropped significantly in recent years, and hunting is not as productive as it once was.

Roger Olson, a conservation officer with Idaho Fish and Game, said it's no secret that wolves are roaming the sage hillsides in remote sections of Croy Canyon, but that an established den has never been found.

He said wolves are wild animals and must be treated accordingly. Dogs should be kept on a leash or at heel, he said.

"This isn't anything new," he added.

The Swigerts said they own 12 shelter dogs, 15 horses and a pet coyote.

"Wolves—like moose, bear and mountain lions—view dogs as wild animals," Olson said. "And they're very territorial."

Lynne Stone, a wolf advocate and leader of the pro-wilderness Boulder White Clouds Council, said wolves are essential to "keep the balance" in Idaho's vast, wild ecosystem. She said the fact wolves primarily prey on weak, sick or old elk "increases the overall health" of the herd.

Furthermore, Stone said wolves "were here to start with and they are one of the most beautiful, charismatic (animals) we have."

Idaho Fish and Game officials Steve Nadeau and Michael Lucid kicked off the meeting Wednesday with presentations on the status of wolves in Idaho.

Sixty-six wolves were reintroduced to Idaho and Yellowstone National Park in 1995 and 1996. Nadeau, the state's large carnivore manager and wolf program supervisor, said the total wolf population in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming now exceeds 1,000.

The targeted recovery for wolves in the three states was 30 breeding pairs for three consecutive years.

"This is the sixth year in a row that recovery goals have been achieved," Nadeau said. "There are six times the number of animals required in Idaho for delisting purposes. Our goal over the next few years is to de-list wolves and manage them as a big game animal...while maintaining a minimum of 15 packs of wolves in Idaho forever."

Idaho Fish and Game assumed daily management authority of wolves in January 2006. Montana has also been granted state management authority of the large carnivores.

But since Wyoming wants to classify wolves as a predator, meaning they can be killed on sight out of wilderness areas, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is reluctant to lift their status as a federally protected species. As long as wolves are still protected by the Endangered Species Act, they can not be managed as a big game animal, nor can they be opened to hunting.

"Clearly we would like to delist wolves, that's not anything we're keeping a secret," Nadeau said.

He added that the main challenge today is not managing wolves, but managing conflicts, which are becoming increasingly heated between wolf supporters and opponents.

Lucid said he thinks people are opposed to wolves because of their perceived impact on elk and other big game.

"A lot of people complain that the feds came in and reintroduced wolves," Lucid said. "And a lot of people don't like the idea of wolves coming in and eating game."

But Nadeau said elk, which comprise 77 percent of a wolf's diet in Idaho, generally aren't suffering as a result of wolves.

"Of the 29 elk populations in the state, only three are not meeting management objectives," Nadeau said. But, he added, much of the decline can be attributed to habitat changes.

Nevertheless, Ron Gillett, chairman of the Idaho Anti-Wolf Coalition, thinks that's a lie.

A week ago Gillett angered a group of onlookers in Stanley, , including Stone, when he approached a wolf that was feeding on a freshly killed elk in a meadow across the Salmon River from the town. He was carrying a small-caliber rifle.

Gillett countered that he was on private property and was carrying the rifle as protection against the animal.

On Wednesday night, Gillett, who's a former hunting outfitter, verbally attacked Jon Marvel, executive director of the Hailey-based Western Watersheds Project and a wolf advocate.

He also blasted Nadeau and other Fish and Game officials for not controlling wolf populations.

"Until wolves are delisted, we can't manage populations,"

I can point out a problem that Gillett(e?) and some of the others are having. Idaho's plan only calls for 15 packs and the state has many more than that now. Once delisting occurs it is very obvious Idaho plans to reduce wolf numbers to a fraction of what they currently are. Do the wolf haters miss this entirely in Idaho's management plan?

"But since Wyoming wants to classify wolves as a predator, meaning they can be killed on sight out of wilderness areas, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is reluctant to lift their status as a federally protected species. As long as wolves are still protected by the Endangered Species Act, they can not be managed as a big game animal, nor can they be opened to hunting."

That's the main problem holding up delisting.

and as long as wyoming stands firm the feds flip the bill you and i both know they want to give it to the states to support and they still won't delist.
verbally atacked sounds like this guy might be related to buzz
he started it at M.M. and here too.
he cuts down everyone who dosn't have his point of view

cmid, Wrong. Buzz tells it like it is and doesn't suffer fools easily. He gives facts to support his assertions. Don't get mad at him. Try getting mad at the truth and see how much good it does you.

You post a bunch of feeble minded BS and think it should be respected.

"Lynne Stone, a wolf advocate and leader of the pro-wilderness Boulder White Clouds Council, said wolves are essential to "keep the balance" in Idaho's vast, wild ecosystem. She said the fact wolves primarily prey on weak, sick or old elk "increases the overall health" of the herd. "

What? Who's the wacko with this comment?

"Sixty-six wolves were reintroduced to Idaho and Yellowstone National Park in 1995 and 1996. Nadeau, the state's large carnivore manager and wolf program supervisor, said the total wolf population in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming now exceeds 1,000.

The targeted recovery for wolves in the three states was 30 breeding pairs for three consecutive years.
"
"This is the sixth year in a row that recovery goals have been achieved," Nadeau said. "There are six times the number of animals required in Idaho for delisting purposes. Our goal over the next few years is to de-list wolves and manage them as a big game animal...while maintaining a minimum of 15 packs of wolves in Idaho forever."

Wow, I sure can't figure out why people want the de-listing to occur and might not trust what the fed wolf managers are telling them.

"Until wolves are delisted, we can't manage populations,"

Pretty much sums it up right there. The population needs managed, not eradicated. Gillette may be clear out in right field with his tactics and his ideas, but there are folks out there that are just as far on the left who want no management of wolves and would be just fine if sport hunting was reduced or eliminated because the wolves reduced game populations.

There is enough lies and BS from BOTH sides of this problem to go around.

damb i'm still not on that list. i'll try harder i think i'm almost there
even if they do it as a big game animal they will never control them.
us hunters can't keep the elk in check but ever time they reduce deer in sundance the g&f lets out to many and the herd is devistated for several years small changes have a big effect and the wolves are a change i hope we can recover from after its all said and done.
i belive it is detramental to the deer elk and moose and time will show how much but muleys dont need this right now they are the ones who will pay the biggest price in this f/u mess.

middleton,

The muleys will pay the biggest price??? What a steaming load of BS that is.

Could you please provide some documentation on the number of mule deer killed by wolves in Wyoming? How about Montana? How about Idaho?

I'm just going to go right out on a limb and say you're full of crap. I bet the number of mule deer killed by wolves in the tri-state area isnt even worth mentioning.

I tell you what is killing the hell out of mule deer though in the tri-state wolf recovery area...CATS. I wonder how many more mule deer a cat kills in its life than a wolf does? Several hundred to one I bet.

Greenhorn is right again...you're a dunce.

I absolutely know for a fact that wolves are NOT even one of the top ten reasons why mule deer are not doing well across their range.

i didn't say thay are now but if we get more wolves they will be a factor in the decline i would have rather seen all the money waisted on wolve spent to help muleys.
muleys are struggling and more predators wont help.

i didn't say they are right now but they will be as soon as we get more.
you dont think wolves will hunt the mule deer on the winter ranges?
you dont think they will run deer in the late winter?
you dont think that will cause damage to wintering deer?
you support the wolf living on your winter ranges with your elk and deer.
you can bet that in the early spring wolves do take deer when they need to conserve energy.
its not the top 10 now with a 1,000 wolves but it will be when the wolves reach 5000 and they are living where the elk and bison are not. they will be eating something and you can bet it aint all jackrabbits.
look to the future of this mess and they will be damaging to the deer.

cmiddleton said:
i didn't say thay are now but if we get more wolves they will be a factor in the decline i would have rather seen all the money waisted on wolve spent to help muleys.

I would prefer to see the money spent on the Wyoming Public School Educational system so that whatever system cmmiddleton went to is able to produce a better educated student in the future.....:rolleyes:

Middleton, if you're worried about WY mule deer you should focus your frustration on the energy extraction business. Natural gas and coal bed methane exploration will have a much bigger impact on mule deer in the long run.

I think you all should plant some mule deer food plants, every hunter out there. Impove the habitat, that's basic. People need energy just like mule deer need food, cover, and water, its basic.

i agree with tom we need some money spent on mule deer habitat.
we didn't need wolf reinterduction they are a transplant that will do more damage than good. that money could have been better spent.
i do buy wdc stamps and i am a coyote calling addict.
i still think the wolf program is a mistake and wyomings plan to list them as a predator is right.
i know usfws doesn't like it and we been all threw that.
what was hard on muleys here was the selling of b.b. brooks ranch and the subdeviding it into 40 acre parcils complete with roads to reach every parcil.
16,000 acres of winter range.
i have done 30 yrs of predator control calling and trapping started at 14 calling and still love doing it today but i don't think listing wolves as a predator will elimanate them but it would work better to keep them in check than being a big game animal. to many people will draw the tag and not fill it.the ones who would go after one would lose out to someone who wants to carry the tag just encase they happen across one.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh duh wtf>!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wyomings plan to list them as a predator is wrong not right. If it was right, we would be applying for tags this year. That's the problem cmiddleton, but reading your comments I understand how polititions from your state work.

Tom,
Don't take this wrong, but the fact is that Texas is not Wyoming. I spent four years in Texas and will say that the numbers of white-tailed deer in the state if amazing. Texas however does not have the vast amount of public land that we have. The majority of our game species live on that public land. We cannot go out and simply plant a food plot on the land. To do that we must buy the rights to the land, which is quite a bit higher in price than Texas.

What can however be done is using organizitions such as the RMEF and the Mule Deer Foundation to conserve habitat. I have been hunting on areas worked on and seen the work of these groups and have been impressed. I know some people on here hate them, but my feeling is at least thy stand for something.

The idea is right Tom, but the where is the problem. I personally hope that public land is out there forever for all to enjoy.

What can however be done is using organizitions such as the RMEF and the Mule Deer Foundation to conserve habitat.
These groups can (and do) partner with the federal agencies to improve habitat. That IMO is nearly important as conserving more habitat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back