Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ID Big 3 regs

Thanks for posting the link. Does anyone know why you can't access 2nd draw odds for the Big 3? I know there have been some available the last couple years.

If I don't draw AK moose this year, I might have to go back into the ID moose draw. Struck out twelve years in a row, so started going to deer/elk apps. Maybe this would be my year.

Thanks for the link.

Nice that they put the draw odds right in the regs, don't remember seeing that in the past

Nice that they put the draw odds right in the regs, don't remember seeing that in the past
Not nice, now everyone knows... ;) It'll be interesting to see if this affects the odds in some units. I know some have pretty good odds because the unit is tough to access and tougher to move around in. Might be some folks get a bit of a wake up call if they put in just based on draw odds.

That is new.

It yanks my chain a bit.

For the last 10 years or so I'll do whatever I can to help DIY hunters in the Big Horn Crags going after sheep and goat. About 50% of the guys that I've given very specific info to have the desire to make it happen. They have had successful hunts that they will make them smile until the day we die.

The other 50% are overwhelmed by the remote big country with low ram density and don't give the tag it's due.

Like Pointer said, some just look at the odds and don't have a clue what the hunt consists of.

Someone help me off the soapbox, my knees still hurt from the Crags.

Last edited:
That is new.

It yanks my chain a bit.

For the last 10 years or so I'll do whatever I can to help DIY hunters in the Big Horn Crags going after sheep and goat. About 50% of the guys that I've given very specific info to have the desire to make it happen. They have had successful hunts that they will make them smile until the day we die.

The other 50% are overwhelmed by the remote big country with low ram density and don't give the tag it's due.

Like Pointer said, some just look at the odds and don't have a clue what the hunt consists of.

Someone help me off the soapbox, my knees still hurt from the Crags.

Amen Tyson, the odds look great sitting behind a computer but if your not 110% committed it will never happen in those remote areas. Should be interesting on application this year! Good luck!!

Can someone answer a quick question for me? Im moving to either montana or Idaho, and its looking a lot more like Idaho every day. I think I have to be a resident for 6 months before I can get a resident tag. Im ok with that since I have no choice. Looking at the link above, for these tags the price is $2101.75. My question is.... is that for each species, or for all three. Looking at the link, its not real clear. Im assuming its for each one, but my fingers are crossed that its for all three.

a person can only apply for one of the big 3, and by doing so is excluded from the elk, deer, lope controlled hunts.

My year for a goat tag. I can feel it! Or I may be feeling a moose tag for my wife. Either way it's a win.

a person can only apply for one of the big 3, and by doing so is excluded from the elk, deer, lope controlled hunts.

This only applies to Antlered animals. You can still put in for antlerless or any of the "Unlimited" draw tags for deer, elk, or antelope.

I feel you TB. On the bright side of those 50% and 50% of hunters none of them can ever draw those tags again, correct? There's nothing like putting effort into helping folks only to have them put even less effort into the hunt than you put into helping them with it. I've actually yet to have someone use my advice, google earth maps, etc...I've had em decide not to go...even worse I've had em use the old "tags were sold out when I went to buy one" excuse, horrible.
On a personal note since Idaho blessed a brotha with a antlered elk tag last year this should be the year I apply for OILs but dang son $2100 just to get the ball rolling!!

I was also put off by the inclusion of the drawing odds with the season information.

I agree that many will only look at the odds and on that page without doing additional research to learn why the drawings odds may be high, and then a tag will be wasted once someone learns that they drew a tag in an area with no roads.

I guess we'll see what happens, especially if future years also include this info.

I was also put off by the inclusion of the drawing odds with the season information.

I agree that many will only look at the odds and on that page without doing additional research to learn why the drawings odds may be high, and then a tag will be wasted once someone learns that they drew a tag in an area with no roads.

I guess we'll see what happens, especially if future years also include this info.

Hopefully the regular big game regs don't include this as well. They think they are helping people choose better...but there are plenty that will see units with great odds and put in for that just based on seeing that percentage...maybe that will help the other hunts with low odds, idk. They sure think of something new every year to screw up.

Randy we are going to need you to do a video on the Idaho draw system if you haven't already!

Not ecstatic about the odds printed either. There are a few areas with good hunting and good odds that will get a few looky loos because of this. That said, Idaho is still a great place for these species.

Idaho is still a great place for these species.

So true.

The draws have been friendly in the past. I'd love to be able to hunt the Crags one more time with my son once his schedule settles down.

When I draw the Idaho lottery tag this year, I'll have to do some studying on where to go.

I havn't visited the Borah herd for about 21 years.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back