I want to make sure I’m legal

Atlas2023

So I drew a resident elk tag, but before the season started, I had to move out of state. I want to be sure that I can still hunt on this resident tag even though between being awarded the tag and then the season starting, I had to move states.

Did you keep your old license plates? I would say just switch them and go for it or hunt with relative or friend who has local plates. You're usually not good for a resident tag until a year after relocating so it's only fair you should be able to use one from former residence, especially if purchased/drawn before relocation. I killed two deer (with one shot) and an elk in my former state after relocating to adjacent state in Sept of '84. Didn't think anything of it. I was hunting with my still resident brother.

So I drew a resident elk tag, but before the season started, I had to move out of state. I want to be sure that I can still hunt on this resident tag even though between being awarded the tag and then the season starting, I had to move states.
Are you positive that you are not merely on a short-term work assignment? People reverse moves all the time to return after a month or two. Workers also take on work assignments which require them to be away for weeks or months.

I had the similar situation in WY. I called the game and fish and was told it was legal. I also called the game warden in the unit and talked with him. He also said I was legal and to enjoy the hunt.

Last edited:
You should be good as long as you don't try to purchase a resident tag in whatever state you moved to. But like others have said, I would double check with the correct agency first.

Yes, call the F&G Dept. When you moved and what state your tag is in are the important facts.
Residency requirements will vary with different states, but one commonality is you can't' be a resident of two states at the same time. So if you are holding a current resident license in the new state you are likely in violation. Most states use the 6 month plus a day criteria for residency with some stating it must be a continuous six months.

Did you keep your old license plates? I would say just switch them and go for it or hunt with relative or friend who has local plates. You're usually not good for a resident tag until a year after relocating so it's only fair you should be able to use one from former residence, especially if purchased/drawn before relocation. I killed two deer (with one shot) and an elk in my former state after relocating to adjacent state in Sept of '84. Didn't think anything of it. I was hunting with my still resident brother.

One of the answers above is the correct one.
And this ain't it. \/

This guys gives plenty of bad advice but this one ranks near the top.

WTF! Are you serious?

Every state will probably have a different answer to that question. Please, by all means contact the Law Enforcement Division of the Fish and Game Department of the state in question.
This is the right answer! Don't talk to a non LE person (someone that answers the phone etc.) for an LE question of this nature.

I hunted 2 states when I moved here. Non resident with resident tag and resident with a NR tag. Both legal.
Gotta ask the right ? to the right person.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back