I want to make sure I’m legal

Define fix.

Do we need a 12 page thread discussing the differences between an asshat and an assclown?
Just making a joke man. You must have missed the thread where the GMC driver got his pickup stuck and the sherriff publicly called the driver an "ass clown"?

You should be good. You were a resident when given the tag and that is what matters.

You’ve got to be a resident of somewhere. Might as well be the state with the elk tag. Now if had a sheep tag in this situation, all sorts of folks would be investigating you.

Did you keep your old license plates? I would say just switch them and go for it or hunt with relative or friend who has local plates. You're usually not good for a resident tag until a year after relocating so it's only fair you should be able to use one from former residence, especially if purchased/drawn before relocation. I killed two deer (with one shot) and an elk in my former state after relocating to adjacent state in Sept of '84. Didn't think anything of it. I was hunting with my still resident brother.

"What's the statute of limitation on wildlife offences? Asking for a friend." -OntarioHunter probably

So I drew a resident elk tag, but before the season started, I had to move out of state. I want to be sure that I can still hunt on this resident tag even though between being awarded the tag and then the season starting, I had to move states.
First thing I’d do is probably call fish and game for the state the you got the tag for to see what they say. If you haven’t yet switched license plates or completely changed addresses to your new state then in my mind I feel like you should be good. But I’d call to be sure.

What state is your Driver's license issued in? It is illegal to own two valid driver's licenses, so you should have one or the other. If stopped by a LEO/Game Officer, etc and he checks you through the computer, it will reveal how many licenses you are issued. Anyway, if you still have your license from the same state as your hunting license, I would say you are good.

A small town cop from eastern montana once told me he could just about arrest anyone he wanted and charge them with something, as the average person commits 3 felonies a day. Now I see what he was talking about.

Did you keep your old license plates? I would say just switch them and go for it or hunt with relative or friend who has local plates. You're usually not good for a resident tag until a year after relocating so it's only fair you should be able to use one from former residence, especially if purchased/drawn before relocation. I killed two deer (with one shot) and an elk in my former state after relocating to adjacent state in Sept of '84. Didn't think anything of it. I was hunting with my still resident brother.
IMG_0624.jpeg

This is literally one of the greatest pieces of advice ever.
On my next out of state trip I think I'll cruise around a truck stop or holiday inn late at night to grab a resident plate for my rig. People will be so much more courteous to me out on the roads when they see me doing stupid stuff they'll just think I'm an idiot local. I'll NEVER swipe a Utah plate to use in another state though. Just asking for trouble posing as a Utahd.

I've seen it in the movies so many times and never thought of the real world applications. Pure genius OH! Pure genius
I decided to just go ahead and grab a few plates tonight instead of waiting for the good ones to get jacked by the hunting public or Busbice. You might be able to guess where I'm hunting tonight.

virginia plate.jpgvirginia plate 3.jpgvirginia plate2.jpg

Last edited:
A small town cop from eastern montana once told me he could just about arrest anyone he wanted and charge them with something, as the average person commits 3 felonies a day. Now I see what he was talking about.
Mostly misdemeanors here - at least before lunchtime.

This is literally one of the greatest pieces of advice ever.
On my next out of state trip I think I'll cruise around a truck stop or holiday inn late at night to grab a resident plate for my rig. People will be so much more courteous to me out on the roads when they see me doing stupid stuff they'll just think I'm an idiot local. I'll NEVER swipe a Utah plate to use in another state though. Just asking for trouble posing as a Utahd.

I've seen it in the movies so many times and never thought of the real world applications. Pure genius OH! Pure genius
I decided to just go ahead and grab a few plates tonight instead of waiting for the good ones to get jacked by the hunting public or Busbice. You might be able to guess where I'm hunting tonight.

View attachment 291475View attachment 291481View attachment 291482
While you are there, watch for this one, too.

IMG_2013.jpeg

Just because this thread refuses to die.

Residency is generally determined as where you intend to reside.
Your intent can be evaluated based on all the things you do-
Where your drivers license is,
Where your car ins is,
Where your car is registered,
Where you register to vote,
Where you you get your mail,
Where you pay taxes,
Where you have applied for other hunting licenses,
In today’s world, in which state your cell phone pings off the radio towers the most.

All go to determine the state which you manifest your intent to reside.

Montana has very specific regulations on this question which includes this language off the fwp website:

“Once you have established your residency, you must continue to meet all these requirements and physically reside in Montana as your principal or primary place of abode for not less than 120 days per year (days need not be consecutive).”

I did not find a solid statement that says if you move you forfeit your resident licenses.

A call to licensing is the most proper. For those that might consider skirting the rules, Montana has people investigating residence violations constantantly.

For reference, I drew CO tags while I lived there, then moved out of the state before the season started. My CO res tags were still honored because they were obtained while I was a legal resident. Each state is probably different, but that was my experience.

Back